Windows 10 performance

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Palmeira

15 Apr 2016

Apologies if there's another thread for this - I did search for it but couldn't find anything...

Looking at Windows 10 on a work PC and must say I quite like it - hated 8 (what is it with that number?). I was just wondering before upgrading my music rig if anyone has any issues with Reason/Balance Windows 10???

Cheers

Aiden

Dabbler

15 Apr 2016

Balance does not like Win 10 on my Dell. I get the BSOD if I unplug balance to re-initialize it while Reason is open.

So what I do is, boot the PC. Unplug balance, plug it back in and then launch Reason. I get fewer BSOD.

This is my world.

Wook

15 Apr 2016

It seems it's a bit of a gamble with Balance and Win 10. It works perfectly for me here.

Olivier

15 Apr 2016

No problems here on windows 10 with both PC and Laptop
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

gak

16 Apr 2016

Did I miss this? Sorry.......

Yeah, I went through the whole shizzle with this and it's come out peaches. Worst thing about win10? Updates and restarts. That's annoying.

chimp_spanner

16 Apr 2016

Performance on Windows 10 is about the same as 8.1, which was fine. As has already been mentioned, just prepare to be thoroughly annoyed by unstoppable updates. I went to do a "quick" restart a while ago in between sessions...ended up having to wait for an entire service pack to install. It was like a new install of Windows basically. I didn't even know it'd been downloading. That must be doing something to system performance, having downloads running in the background. But I dunno. Like I said it feels fine so *shrugs* I just kinda put up with it.

Palmeira

19 Apr 2016

Cheers guys, got a Balance so I'll just go for it on the laptop first and leave the main machine out of it and go from there.

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated!

Aiden

mcatalao
Competition Winner

21 Apr 2016

Using Windows 10 on Surface 4. Seemed stable except for the freaking intel hd graphics driver, that's completely messed up with some heavier apps. It seems to run fine with reason though. With the surface i've been more careful with updates.

It's been a huge mess of updates because Microsoft has been releasing both OS and Driver updates at the same time, and they came all from the same source.

At the studio PC i have Windows 8.1. I don't mind the full screen start page, so i didn't upgrade to 10 yet, though as owner of a 8.1 license i can do it.

pushedbutton

21 Apr 2016

I usually have to 'power cycle' my Balance after booting or waking for the ASIO driver to become available in the audio devices list. Once I've done that there's no issue. My PC is shit but generally performance is better with Windows 10 that it was with Windows 7 or 8.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

• Information