Who will upgrade to Reason 9 the day it's released and what new features do you think will be included?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
decibel

20 Apr 2016

a subtractor upgrade would be good, a few extra oscillators, with a unison with multiple voice options, stereo widener knob, more filter options etc.

zakalwe

20 Apr 2016

see, the problem is everyone wants it to go in a different direction.

is it a DAW now and third parties make REs and propellerhead concentrate on the host and plugin SDK?

is it still a modular plugin studio that propellerhead are going to continue to evolve thorugh updates of native racks?

do propellerhead make their own RE or leave it to third parties?

it's been a bit of all 3 in the last few years and it doesn't seem clear where it's going next. I guess maybe the 1st one is the most needed but it's possibly the least exciting. this software neededs to be functional but also inspirational because i have far more functional DAW software and plugins. it also seems a bit of a concern that RE have become something of a cottage industry, though it's reassuring that names like d16 are dropping stuff now.

electrofux

20 Apr 2016

Biggest wish is a Clip Launcher and a good way to sync to external gear. And of course Combinator MKII.

madmacman

20 Apr 2016

Skybot wrote:To me it would make absolutely no sense if Props turn Reason into a Ableton Live clone, with clip launching, a session view and all that stuff, even flat design,
And even if one dislikes Ableton, then there's a promising competitor: Bitwig!

mreese80

20 Apr 2016

Dcook18 wrote:I hope reason 9 comes out this summer or sooner. But whenever they come out with it, I feel like it's going to be a game changer.
It might be an improvement but in order for it to be that Reason will have to be update with others daws. Otherwise it will just be years behind as it has been. Props are to slow.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

20 Apr 2016

madmacman wrote:
Skybot wrote:To me it would make absolutely no sense if Props turn Reason into a Ableton Live clone, with clip launching, a session view and all that stuff, even flat design,
And even if one dislikes Ableton, then there's a promising competitor: Bitwig!
It doesn't need to turn into Ableton. They just need to add updated features. It's pretty simple to me. Real-time audio slicing, kong needs major updating, better zooming in on a audio file, transient detection needs a little work, being able to map the loop points of a audio to a knob on keyboard/midi controller instead of using mouse, freeze track quicker, i can go further but ...
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

20 Apr 2016

Cytomic filters in Reason would be dope as hell. Imagine if we had a better eq like fab filter pro-2 but with those filters. Talk about a game changer for Reason

decibel

20 Apr 2016

mreese80 wrote:Cytomic filters in Reason would be dope as hell. Imagine if we had a better eq like fab filter pro-2 but with those filters. Talk about a game changer for Reason
im just about to purchase the izotope production bundle to play around with in logic, i cant help wonder how amazing that would be to have in reason ;)

mreese80

20 Apr 2016

decibel wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Cytomic filters in Reason would be dope as hell. Imagine if we had a better eq like fab filter pro-2 but with those filters. Talk about a game changer for Reason
im just about to purchase the izotope production bundle to play around with in logic, i cant help wonder how amazing that would be to have in reason ;)
Izotope is awesome man. I have Ozone 7. If Reason would just allow us to use vsts easily it would make things so much easier. I like the SSL mixer but i got to have my waves plugins, izotope plugins and fabfilters. Reason could be so much more than it is. I won't make any excuses for props being behind. They've gotten way to much of our money not to have Reason up to par.

KEVMOVE02

20 Apr 2016

I will definitely update to Reason 9 when it comes out. While others find the pace of updates and features additions a tad slow, I like the fact that they don't use a shotgun blast approach to version upgrades. I work in a print production house, so most of my work revolves around Adobe Creative Cloud. I don't care for Audition, so I use Ableton Live and Reason for music beds and narration. For me, the Reason Rack and Live Session View just work. I can't think of many things rival the euphoria occurs when you put the bits and pieces in an 8 by 8 grid, then let the rhythm take control via the Akai APC Mini. Whatever brings you bliss, I guess. Does that include visiting a user forum to tell everybody who is who currently using Reason why you stopped? Or is this meant to be some variation of "Who Moved My Cheese"?

plaamook

20 Apr 2016

I'm with Zakalwe on this one. Reason needs a few things for sure but thinking it's going to be a new synth or some shit in R9...I think it's a pipe dream. There have been shit shit shit loads of new RE synths. I don't care, I don't use em, but perhaps that's why I wonder why people are always bangin on about new synths. Really I don't get it. Can you not synthesise any sound you like in Reason as it is? If not, I apologise, I'm sure I'm missing something.

Anyway, I figure Props should and will focus on the platform itself, which is in a real state, and the SDK, which is also in a state. Given an audio editing/midi editing overhaul and a SDK tht allows for samples/sampling...yeah, I'll buy. Anything short of that? Nope.

You can batch and moan all you like about this or that devise needing an update but they won't do it. No new Kong, no new Maelstrøm, no new nothing. Yeah they tweaked the RV Verb but that's a very different beast. All they'll do or even can do given the landscape is update the SDK. It's all they have to do actually. Screw all this updated crap. Set sampling free for christ's sake. So we'll see.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

mreese80

20 Apr 2016

plaamook wrote:I'm with Zakalwe on this one. Reason needs a few things for sure but thinking it's going to be a new synth or some shit in R9...I think it's a pipe dream. There have been shit shit shit loads of new RE synths. I don't care, I don't use em, but perhaps that's why I wonder why people are always bangin on about new synths. Really I don't get it. Can you not synthesise any sound you like in Reason as it is? If not, I apologise, I'm sure I'm missing something.

Anyway, I figure Props should and will focus on the platform itself, which is in a real state, and the SDK, which is also in a state. Given an audio editing/midi editing overhaul and a SDK tht allows for samples/sampling...yeah, I'll buy. Anything short of that? Nope.

You can batch and moan all you like about this or that devise needing an update but they won't do it. No new Kong, no new Maelstrøm, no new nothing. Yeah they tweaked the RV Verb but that's a very different beast. All they'll do or even can do given the landscape is update the SDK. It's all they have to do actually. Screw all this updated crap. Set sampling free for christ's sake. So we'll see.

Kong needs some serious surgery. Switchable banks.

Jagwah

20 Apr 2016

Didn't Props say a while back that they address the most wanted feature first? That apparently was drag and drop, clip colours and then the RV7000 upgrade.

Yeah it's been a long time since Reason and RE SDK upgrades but that time I can only assume has been very stagnant in regards to these two things, with all the hoopla going on in this time I doubt the next upgrade will be anything to write home about, unless it's a real long way off - which it probably should be imo.

I must have been nuts thinking video support and copy pattern to track were on their way, it's more than likely going to be one of the top requested features, which is whatever Props want to say it is.

gak

21 Apr 2016

KEVMOVE02 wrote:I will definitely update to Reason 9 when it comes out. While others find the pace of updates and features additions a tad slow, I like the fact that they don't use a shotgun blast approach to version upgrades.

Agree, but, I don't think no update for 10 months means they are "a tad slow" :lol:

PhutureD

22 Apr 2016

mreese80 wrote:Just wondering how many will be upgrading to Reason 9 the day it's released. I see a lot of people talking about Ableton and Studio One.
Im on R7 ,no hurry for any mediocre upgrades. Nothing to get too excited about, R7 was a major upgrade
for me and there needs to be something worthwhile upgrading to ,if they want my money. R8 didnt spark any interest in me.
very happy to be spending some money of Refills. And plenty of those to keep me busy for many years:) It's true for me also, all I
read and hear about is Ableton. Even hardcore reasoners making the switch. Been chatting to some producers who have turned to Ableton, they all say its about "having many more options which are not currently available to us" The upgrade must be spectacular if they want to keep existing users who are tempted from switching too.
That being said I am very happy with what I have and making the most of it.

boobytrap

22 Apr 2016

PhutureD wrote:
mreese80 wrote:Just wondering how many will be upgrading to Reason 9 the day it's released. I see a lot of people talking about Ableton and Studio One.
Im on R7 ,no hurry for any mediocre upgrades. Nothing to get too excited about, R7 was a major upgrade
for me and there needs to be something worthwhile upgrading to ,if they want my money. R8 didnt spark any interest in me.
very happy to be spending some money of Refills. And plenty of those to keep me busy for many years:) It's true for me also, all I
read and hear about is Ableton. Even hardcore reasoners making the switch. Been chatting to some producers who have turned to Ableton, they all say its about "having many more options which are not currently available to us" The upgrade must be spectacular if they want to keep existing users who are tempted from switching too.
That being said I am very happy with what I have and making the most of it.
Honestly Reason 5 & 6 are major updates. all others like 7 8 are minor updates. I believe 25%, they will do something real this time.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

bullt

26 Apr 2016

I wish they include two BLOCK´S ROWS...
and video sincronization...

Yonatan

05 May 2016

Just some things I would love to see sometime somewhere over the rainbow, way up high...

Bring in video sync and a really well built allround physical (acoustic) modelling synth engine as that might be great to have as standard sound design tool. If such a synth would be there, then nevermind the FSB or Orchestra...just design whatever.
And make channels be foldable. And betterment in the midi-sequencer (as more quantization control) as well as in audio editing, including an integrated smart pitch corrector as in logic and melodyne...and auto delay compensation. And a bit smoother faders. Upgraded Combinator! And an upgraded or perhaps a new Sampler engine. And also an overall update of the RE Developer SDK, allowing sample loading for REs. And gradual selectable lightness of the whole Graphical Interface of Reason. A more advanced piano-roll, displaying of chords and notes when playing, and a score-sheet funktion. Choosing more alternative sounds as the "Click" as a metronom as well att option to let it "blink" so you easily can record without headphones but still see the flashes in tempo when needed.
Fast gradual Zoom-function allover Reason, and also the allowance of enlarging a RE interface out of the rack as a separate window, giving more freedom for developers to adapt VST plugins to RE. Allow us to resell or transfer the RE:s, dont lock the users into the corner. People want freedom and stability in one combination. It´s a challange, but can always be done.
A notepad to write songlyrics that can be edited to roll by in different ways and in sync with the tempo of the song, almost like Kareoke so that I can record and have my lyrics in the same projects just in perfect timing.

And why not allowing Reason to be the Master while Rewire. End of endless complaints by some ppl who happen to have a bunch of other plugins and want to switch to use Reason as a main DAW to mix on. People will still buy RE:s as it´s the most handy and with the right changes, it will be the best plugin format around! (maybe allow bigger gb to be used in a RE too!). More options (Rewire, RE, Refills (new Combinator) will only bring more creativity and more users from all over. It will make Reason open up and bloom!

Last Alternative

05 May 2016

I don't believe in blind patriotism so if R9 doesn't show significant improvement then I'll be cutting my losses and selling and going to something more current and modern like Logic Pro.
PH knows exactly how we feel regardless of how much they try to ignore it and it's up to them to deliver or not.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Yonatan

05 May 2016

Yes, I believe R9 will be a time of decision for quite some folks. R8 really got me hesitating about how much focus ph was willing to put on their finest product. Felt a bit too lukewarm to go from R7. And all things there after only led to greater confusion, with the exception of the Convolution upgrade at 8.3. That´s when I gave it a shot again. It could just be that ph had changed way of working in many smaller steps for longer period, just as Logic 10 has been very slow but updating within 10. But then again suddenly no 8.4 or anything. And now it looks like something with a paying upgrade could come somewhere in June. Company secrets in all glory, but it gets a bit strange to be so silent as a small company. They are not Apple. People loosing interest instead of the opposite. Better give the Reason community continous sneak peaks and create some anticipation if a work may take longer time, so that we all without doubt know that they really are working on Reason and care about the users interest in getting a few hints. If social media and blogging is to be used wisely, one have to build up some kind of relationship and anticipation. It is the lack of that communication that makes this forum be filled with some annoyance. Communication and creating interest is not the same as only marketing products. We want to be taken as more than merely "customers" or buyers. Commercialization has gone too far in world as a whole now. And I am talking about an attitude and ideology, not anti-enterprise, but in the need of a spark that is not all about making more money. That spirit spark was a bit more present earlier years, but then went into a more strictly business way. An adaption to the rest of the fancy trend.
That said, I do love the videos and tutorials by Ryan. That is the kind of spirit that gives a great extra value and inspires. I very much hope to be wrong in my analysis, or that things get a bit more balanced and clear soon. Cause if PH has lost its spark and creative fire, then I will leave the ship, but keep using the version one got, but investing in another main DAW.

avasopht
Competition Winner

06 May 2016

I remember back when Propellerhead used to communicate more with the community, and the response: vitriol and accusations of lying.

Some people are happy to continue communicating to people in that type of environment but some will find it invalidates the purpose. Suffice to say, the same ones who complain there's not enough communication also complained that what was said were lies, ergo, ...

If there's been no update there are three possibilities:

1. They're working on features that take a lot of time
2. They're developing lots of little features that will be released together (for whatever reason)
3. They're sipping margaritas

Obviously it's not #3, so either way we'll see something worthwhile, or maybe there's a 4th alternative, that reason is undergoing an overhaul.

Oh and there are practical reasons not to discuss plans, and that's because plans change. You can spend a year developing a technology that you either find out does not work well or just evolves (for the better) and you receive a backlash for creating expectations that will not be fulfilled.

joeyluck

06 May 2016

avasopht wrote:I remember back when Propellerhead used to communicate more with the community, and the response: vitriol and accusations of lying.
Yup, it's unfortunate. I found it odd when people claimed they were lying about Reason 8 being the most successful. As if users couldn't put two and two together that the increased exposure of Propellerhead/Reason through all the new channels via Rack Extension developers and mobile apps/Discover would lead to more sales. As if they couldn't call up their favorite music store and ask about Reason (just to get an idea). It's easy to see.

CharlyCharlzz

06 May 2016

i am on 7.101 and aint going to upgrade anymore versions unless I am totaly impressed because money is a resource I don't have .
I rather upgrade the two rigs I got insted but I aint got any money so maybe Crapre2 that I buyed lately will be my only RE for 2016 .
If I had money Yes I will buy Reason 9 the day it is in stores in a box version !
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

mreese80

06 May 2016

avasopht wrote:I remember back when Propellerhead used to communicate more with the community, and the response: vitriol and accusations of lying.

Some people are happy to continue communicating to people in that type of environment but some will find it invalidates the purpose. Suffice to say, the same ones who complain there's not enough communication also complained that what was said were lies, ergo, ...

If there's been no update there are three possibilities:

1. They're working on features that take a lot of time
2. They're developing lots of little features that will be released together (for whatever reason)
3. They're sipping margaritas

Obviously it's not #3, so either way we'll see something worthwhile, or maybe there's a 4th alternative, that reason is undergoing an overhaul.

Oh and there are practical reasons not to discuss plans, and that's because plans change. You can spend a year developing a technology that you either find out does not work well or just evolves (for the better) and you receive a backlash for creating expectations that will not be fulfilled.
If your first two suggestions are true that's fine. But props should communicate with the community more. Let us know what's in the works every now & than. In the end, they are hurting themselves. Many people have moved onto another daw.

mreese80

06 May 2016

Yonatan wrote:Yes, I believe R9 will be a time of decision for quite some folks. R8 really got me hesitating about how much focus ph was willing to put on their finest product. Felt a bit too lukewarm to go from R7. And all things there after only led to greater confusion, with the exception of the Convolution upgrade at 8.3. That´s when I gave it a shot again. It could just be that ph had changed way of working in many smaller steps for longer period, just as Logic 10 has been very slow but updating within 10. But then again suddenly no 8.4 or anything. And now it looks like something with a paying upgrade could come somewhere in June. Company secrets in all glory, but it gets a bit strange to be so silent as a small company. They are not Apple. People loosing interest instead of the opposite. Better give the Reason community continous sneak peaks and create some anticipation if a work may take longer time, so that we all without doubt know that they really are working on Reason and care about the users interest in getting a few hints. If social media and blogging is to be used wisely, one have to build up some kind of relationship and anticipation. It is the lack of that communication that makes this forum be filled with some annoyance. Communication and creating interest is not the same as only marketing products. We want to be taken as more than merely "customers" or buyers. Commercialization has gone too far in world as a whole now. And I am talking about an attitude and ideology, not anti-enterprise, but in the need of a spark that is not all about making more money. That spirit spark was a bit more present earlier years, but then went into a more strictly business way. An adaption to the rest of the fancy trend.
That said, I do love the videos and tutorials by Ryan. That is the kind of spirit that gives a great extra value and inspires. I very much hope to be wrong in my analysis, or that things get a bit more balanced and clear soon. Cause if PH has lost its spark and creative fire, then I will leave the ship, but keep using the version one got, but investing in another main DAW.
Well said, well said.

• Information