Who will upgrade to Reason 9 the day it's released and what new features do you think will be included?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

17 Apr 2016

I'm guessing an online collaboration tool or maybe just further workflow improvements

One of the biggest workflow improvements to me would be faster loading of instruments, maybe making use of streaming so that they are playable much earlier when I'm flicking through sounds.

mreese80

17 Apr 2016

Gaja wrote:Just to play devil's advocate: they have been listening all along. They added the the frequency analyzer (which people were raving about), busses, midi out, third party plugins, faster browser, audio quantize, edit midi notes from the left side, drag and drop... all these were much requested features back in the puf and here too, so to say they don't listen to their users is quite a bit of a stretch. They don't jump at the snap of your fingers, probably because they are working on someting else. Yes they are "slow" depending on what pace you would think is proper. I'm actually wuite content with what I've got and I know anticipating a version that is not yet announced is quite exhausting and leads to great disappointment usually.
Glad you are satisfied man. :thumbs_up:
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

zakalwe

17 Apr 2016

I'll see but i kind of feel like i'm not happy with any studio solutions these days. i'm back to reaper and a handful of plugins i like. nothing fancy either.

maybe if they can make the audio editing that good the rack will call me back but that F2 is pretty stronk DAWing let me tell you.

satyr32

17 Apr 2016

If it has some kind of a non-destructive freeze function as like in Abelton, I will upgrade in a second. It is something that was not needed in pre-RE era but is now badly.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

kitekrazy

17 Apr 2016

They would have to throw in some rack extensions or the ones they developed become part of Reason. Drag and drop a midi on to an existing instrument track would be nice since all DAWs do that.

Electric-Metal

17 Apr 2016

kitekrazy wrote: Drag and drop a midi on to an existing instrument track would be nice since all DAWs do that.
Agree. One of the features I would call absolutly necesarry. Having loaded up multiple Midis in ID8 Tracks and drag every one to the Instrument where you need it is a total bummer.
I would instantly upgrade for that.
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

CookieClimber

17 Apr 2016

I just realized I spent more on a single RE than the whole Studio One Artist version would cost me.

I love reason. I love how it flows and that I know my way around better than any other software. And Reason 9 is appealing to me. But if it doesnt include a stereo synth in the bundle I think it's a reason to start exploring other options. It's really, really, really, about time for a new synth. Or at least an upgrade of thor.

platzangst

17 Apr 2016

satyr32 wrote:If it has some kind of a non-destructive freeze function as like in Abelton, I will upgrade in a second. It is something that was not needed in pre-RE era but is now badly.
You already have this, it's called "bounce to track".

Seriously, that's all Ableton does, is make an audio render to cut down on real-time CPU processing.

mreese80

17 Apr 2016

satyr32 wrote:If it has some kind of a non-destructive freeze function as like in Abelton, I will upgrade in a second. It is something that was not needed in pre-RE era but is now badly.
We can do this in Reason now. Things i didn't think i could do in reason we can. It's not a hidden feature but it seems like it is.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

mreese80

17 Apr 2016

CookieClimber wrote:I just realized I spent more on a single RE than the whole Studio One Artist version would cost me.

I love reason. I love how it flows and that I know my way around better than any other software. And Reason 9 is appealing to me. But if it doesnt include a stereo synth in the bundle I think it's a reason to start exploring other options. It's really, really, really, about time for a new synth. Or at least an upgrade of thor.

Once you start looking outside of Reason, you see how far behind it is. I just love the work flow of Reason of i've been using Ableton and Akai software for a while now.

RhysHuntley89

17 Apr 2016

I will (upgrade from 7), either on the first day or preferably whenever it's announced and the grace period starts, so that I can have 8, too.

selig
RE Developer

17 Apr 2016

platzangst wrote:

Seriously, that's all Ableton does, is make an audio render to cut down on real-time CPU processing.
To be fair, there is one part missing, and that's the ability to get 100% of the CPU back without loosing any of the settings - this is as much the "freeze" part as the simple rendering to audio is IMO. Even in Pro Tools, which has no actual "freeze" function, you can totally inactivate a track and it uses no CPU whatsoever. Reason could at least use that feature, along with a "track hide" feature. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

platzangst

17 Apr 2016

selig wrote:To be fair, there is one part missing, and that's the ability to get 100% of the CPU back without loosing any of the settings - this is as much the "freeze" part as the simple rendering to audio is IMO.
Muting the original track doesn't kill all its CPU usage? Hm.

Gulale

17 Apr 2016

platzangst wrote:
selig wrote:To be fair, there is one part missing, and that's the ability to get 100% of the CPU back without loosing any of the settings - this is as much the "freeze" part as the simple rendering to audio is IMO.
Muting the original track doesn't kill all its CPU usage? Hm.
No no no It doesn't kill it at all. I used to hit the CPU pretty fast in Reason in the past while I'm mixing and I have tried it and nothing changed. The funny part is Propellerhead tell you as a way of solution for DSP usage but it doesn't work at all. In fact, you will add up another bounced track on track count. If you keep the bounce track and delete the original, you can save DSP power.
Gulale aka Bereket

Faastwalker

17 Apr 2016

'Who will upgrade to Reason 9 the day it's released and what new features do you think will be included?'

Obviously the outcome of the second part of the question will have a strong influence on the first! If it's good enough I'll upgrade ASAP ;)

platzangst

18 Apr 2016

Gulale wrote:
platzangst wrote:Muting the original track doesn't kill all its CPU usage? Hm.
No no no It doesn't kill it at all. I used to hit the CPU pretty fast in Reason in the past while I'm mixing and I have tried it and nothing changed.
Not to go too far down this rabbit hole (I don't currently have a lot of DSP/CPU issues, so admittedly my experience is limited here), but has it been established that nothing at all besides deleting the track takes out the CPU? For example, one could mute an instrument track in the sequencer (not the mixer) and prevent any MIDI notes from even playing - or, instead of muting a chain of effects, actually go in and turn the devices off.

If things like these have been tried and don't work, then I can see where a better freeze option might be desirable. Otherwise, it's more a matter of workarounds versus convenience.

Gaja

18 Apr 2016

Gulale wrote:
Gaja wrote:Just to play devil's advocate: they have been listening all along. They added the the frequency analyzer (which people were raving about), busses, midi out, third party plugins, faster browser, audio quantize, edit midi notes from the left side, drag and drop... all these were much requested features back in the puf and here too, so to say they don't listen to their users is quite a bit of a stretch. They don't jump at the snap of your fingers, probably because they are working on someting else. Yes they are "slow" depending on what pace you would think is proper. I'm actually wuite content with what I've got and I know anticipating a version that is not yet announced is quite exhausting and leads to great disappointment usually.
Third party plugins doesn't count Gaja. It is like Harrison Mixbus not supporting VST and AU then asking developers to port their code to LV2 and charge us cash by calling it XT Harrison. Call me when they support VST and AU. I don't even need that stupid CV to compress a signal I have bought over three thousand dollar of waves and I need to use it without fiddling with soundfower. Compare Reason and studio one side bay side and tell me if they are listening to us. Man after asking Propellerheads day and night from over 6 years for a better reverb they just got it right this year. 6 years late to the party and request. Now the technology has gone to Fusion IR which I don't know what the heck is this but it sounds great. You can check liquid sonics Reverberate and the quality eats Reason IR loader for launch. You won't even count it as an upgrade. Too late

That being said If the upgrade is interesting I will get it. I doubt that. The darker GUI by itself is important I don't wanna go to the doctor every month.
That doesn't count if RE don't count as third party plugins. Yes they wanted VST, but that was very unlikely from the start, give Props history with steinberg and VST.
Comparing studio one and reason gives no implication on what we want. Maybe for you, but then you need to use studio one and not Reason (You can't complain that you bought car tires and your bicycle manufacturer doesn't support car tires). However feature requests from the puf are an indication of what users want. And all these features that people have been reaching out for have been implemented.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

scifunk

18 Apr 2016

I'm very happy at R7 and the REs I have bought. There are only minor niggles for me now. Depends what new instruments/Fx they bundle in. I'd rather use the money to upgrade my studio PC.

Scoobyman II

18 Apr 2016

Something really cool and fantastic. I can imagine them going all out with super advertising and mind blowing stuff on board. I'd like that. Then I'd upgrade from 7. Even if the price was a little higher.

tiker01

18 Apr 2016

Ahornberg wrote:
tiker01 wrote:Everybody on version 7 should get 8 right after 9 is announced so they get 8 as well which will be the last version with the Line6 amps! Also you can learn the new browser which needs time to adopt to.
So if I stay on version 8 I will not loose Line6?
They are part of Reason 8 so as long as you can install it you will have access to the amps. So it is wise to keep Reason 8 besides 9 just in case you need to open songs or patches with Line 6 amps in them.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

zeebot

18 Apr 2016

In the past I would have but with the release of 8 and my indifference to what it had to offer I realised I was fine with R7. I will be much more reluctant unless it blows my socks off right out the gates. I'm really interested in the RVv2 and I think if for example they update and modernise Malstrom (cough* loadable wavetables) or even possibly Subtractor I'd be tipped over the edge.
I have been harsh on props since the R8 release (overly harsh on quite a few occasions) and I just really want R9 to make it all better. I dont like being annoyed at them because I, like all of us absolutely adore the program and appreciate what props have achieved to give us this amazing software.
I want to be friends again with props so I really hope they go back to what they were so good at, making Reason the best DAW in the world.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Gaja

18 Apr 2016

zeebot wrote:...modernise Malstrom (cough* loadable wavetables)
It's not very likely at all to happen. Malström's Graintables are apparently quite difficult to make. IIRC on the puf someone from propellerhead posted that you had to manually slice the sample up in a tedious and time consuming process. So I guess they'd have to find a way to automate that in order to make it consumer friendly...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

tumar

18 Apr 2016

platzangst wrote:

No - Ableton Live really freezes track (i.e with all synth and effects settings), so you can unfreeze it at any moment and tweak any parameter you wish.

Exowildebeest

18 Apr 2016

platzangst wrote:
Gulale wrote:
platzangst wrote:Muting the original track doesn't kill all its CPU usage? Hm.
No no no It doesn't kill it at all. I used to hit the CPU pretty fast in Reason in the past while I'm mixing and I have tried it and nothing changed.
Not to go too far down this rabbit hole (I don't currently have a lot of DSP/CPU issues, so admittedly my experience is limited here), but has it been established that nothing at all besides deleting the track takes out the CPU? For example, one could mute an instrument track in the sequencer (not the mixer) and prevent any MIDI notes from even playing - or, instead of muting a chain of effects, actually go in and turn the devices off.

If things like these have been tried and don't work, then I can see where a better freeze option might be desirable. Otherwise, it's more a matter of workarounds versus convenience.
Could = should

Muting the sequencer lane is the correct way to save CPU, muting the Mix Channel isn't, unless the CPU eaters are fed audio from that Mix Channel.

platzangst

18 Apr 2016

tumar wrote:No - Ableton Live really freezes track (i.e with all synth and effects settings), so you can unfreeze it at any moment and tweak any parameter you wish.
From a tutorial on Ableton:
When a track is frozen (using the Freeze Track command in the Edit menu), all the CPU-intensive tasks are temporarily committed as recorded audio. This means that instrument or effect plug-ins on that track cannot be altered until the track is unfrozen again. In addition, each Clip in the session view is bounced to audio. For audio Clips, this means that Live is no longer Warping playback speed in real time, and for MIDI Clips, the instrument is no longer being played back in real time. Live handles all of this in the background, so not much appears to change from the user's perspective.

[...]

Apart from being blue, the Clip appears to be playing back as normal, with the play position cursor looping though it. However, Live is actually transparently playing back a bounced audio version of the Clip, even though it's on a MIDI track.
From another:
When you right-click on a track in the Session or Arrangement view and select ‘Freeze’, Ableton will lock the settings of your current VST, or AU, or audio track with plug-ins on it, and then create an audio file version of it. The settings are locked so that if you decide that you need to tweak a setting, later, all you have to do is un-freeze the track. Once you un-freeze, the original plug-ins are all set to active again, and the source of the audio is once again made active, be it an audio file, or a virtual instrument, of some sort.
This audio rendering happens in the background automatically, so one doesn't have to do more than click a couple times to freeze or unfreeze, but that is the mechanics of what's happening. It is rendering an audio track of virtual instruments and effects, it just isn't "bouncing" it to a separate visible track.

• Information