Infinite CV? I need a CV signal to never stop rising. *scratches head*

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
colcifer

09 Mar 2016

I'm playing around with pitch effects, using cv controlled delay times. But I only get the desired pitch for a short amount of time. Also, if you use an lfo, the Echo has a static delay time for half of the cycle - bug?

Benedict
Competition Winner

09 Mar 2016

A CV can't got forever as it can only travel 0-1. Besides after a while the delay would become so long it would cease being Chorus and become a Grand Canyon echo.

There is a way to do "endless" flangers but I have never looked into it in Reason.

Will a Pitch Shift do the trick: Polar or Audio Track???

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Raveshaper

10 Mar 2016

If you want something to continually rise in pitch, you would need to create the sweep of the sound rising, then use two copies of it to crossfade between them to make it seem like an endless and continual sound. There is no way to make it go forever.

I would need to know more about how you are triggering the Echo, but my guess is that you don't hear the LFO start to take effect until after the first delay.

Another reason you might encounter a static delay time is if the CV signal has reached the maximum or minimum allowed for what you are controlling. It is possible to merge CV signals and create (almost) limitless amplitudes, but if you exceed the limits of a device it will only give you the closest possible result (minimum or maximum setting).

Those are my guesses, wish I could be more accurate than that but I can't see your routing/programming.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Benedict
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2016

There is an issue with LFOs (at least in DAWs) where they aren't as smooth as you think, esp when modulating Dealy lines for Chorus etc. A Tri wave ends up behaving a bit like a Sqr. The Sine is smoother but then the top and bottom create 'flat' spots in the sweep. It was the same in SythEdit when I was making VST.

Maybe one of the Devs knows why.

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Mar 2016

Benedict wrote:There is an issue with LFOs (at least in DAWs) where they aren't as smooth as you think, esp when modulating Dealy lines for Chorus etc. A Tri wave ends up behaving a bit like a Sqr. The Sine is smoother but then the top and bottom create 'flat' spots in the sweep. It was the same in SythEdit when I was making VST.

Maybe one of the Devs knows why.

In Reason your CV's are updated every 64 frames. It's down to the receiving device to decide whether to smooth the input while allowing transients to pass through or to just take the parameters as is.

In MIDI I'm not too sure of any hard limits but you're definitely not going to get frame by frame updates, especially when midi CC values have a narrow range of just 128 possible values (I think the pitch / mod wheel has maybe 1024 values). I've seen some VST midi plugins outputting once every 100 frames.

Sinistereo

10 Mar 2016

Raveshaper wrote:If you want something to continually rise in pitch, you would need to create the sweep of the sound rising, then use two copies of it to crossfade between them to make it seem like an endless and continual sound. There is no way to make it go forever.
And if this is what you're after, Google for "Shepard tone." It's a fun psychoacoustic effect.

Ostermilk

10 Mar 2016

I'm not sure what you are asking here, whether you want an infinite CV signal as an end in itself or you want the CV to facilitate a continuous pitch increase from 0hz to the end of the audible range.

colcifer

10 Mar 2016

Benedict wrote:A CV can't got forever as it can only travel 0-1. Besides after a while the delay would become so long it would cease being Chorus and become a Grand Canyon echo.

There is a way to do "endless" flangers but I have never looked into it in Reason.

Will a Pitch Shift do the trick: Polar or Audio Track???

Yeah, the cv values have a limit - I'm asking if anyone knows a workaround. I'm not trying to make a chorus; I'm experimenting with pitch manipulation. Polar isn't free (if I find a good workaround, I'll make a free pitch shifter combi) and audio pitch shifting isn't real time and has no dry-wet mix or gliss.

Thanks, anyway.

colcifer

10 Mar 2016

Ostermilk wrote:I'm not sure what you are asking here, whether you want an infinite CV signal as an end in itself or you want the CV to facilitate a continuous pitch increase from 0hz to the end of the audible range.
I want the cv to slow or speed a delay line so that the incoming audio's pitch is changed, for longer than a cycle of an lfo or envelope.

Ostermilk

10 Mar 2016

colcifer wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:I'm not sure what you are asking here, whether you want an infinite CV signal as an end in itself or you want the CV to facilitate a continuous pitch increase from 0hz to the end of the audible range.
I want the cv to slow or speed a delay line so that the incoming audio's pitch is changed, for longer than a cycle of an lfo or envelope.
Ah, OK.

• Information