SSL *Sends & Rewire

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
JoshC1

08 Mar 2016

Hey guys. Is it not possible to have individual SSL tracks Rewire to Logic WITH the SSL sends on the signal? At the moment my SSL send FX are bypassed when listening in Logic.
Last edited by JoshC1 on 09 Mar 2016, edited 2 times in total.

selig
RE Developer

08 Mar 2016

JoshC1 wrote:Hey guys. Is it not possible to have individual SSL tracks Rewire to Logic WITH the SSL sends on the signal? At the moment my SSL send FX are bypassed when listening in Logic.
You need to ReWire the send RETURNS to Logic, otherwise you can't hear them. Remember, the send is not "one the signal", but running in parallel with it on it's own path. Easiest way may be to bring all send FX back into Mix Channels instead of the main "return" section, then route these as you would the other tracks via ReWire. You could also create a bus group for all the returns, then you only have to route one channel to Logic (the bus group). :)
Selig Audio, LLC

JoshC1

09 Mar 2016

Hey Selig. Thanks a lot, but I want the control of having the Return FX on all the separate tracks, so when I solo an instrument (to eq and add plugins to it) in Logic, i will also hear the Reason Sends on it.

If I’m not mistaken, the approach you mentioned would just create a set (or bus) of channel in Logic that would only have the wet FX sounds on them, with non of the dry instrument signal

The other issue with creating e.g. 8 more SSL channels just for the Send FX signals is that i have already maxed out my Hardware Interface Outputs and so have no more rewire channels available to send to Logic!

Is there another approach?

Say I have 10 SSL channels all with Distortion Send on them. Could I take the Return signal from the Distortion FX unit, split it and then distribute it out individually to all 10 SSL channels, plugging into their “From Device” inputs in the channel Insert FX sections?

JoshC1

09 Mar 2016

Nope, just tried; that approach (splitting & sending the Return FX to the SSL Channels "From Device") causes a very high pitch tone to occur.
Also, if I rewire the return FX separately to Logic as you mentioned, when I EQ an instrument in Logic, the (Reason) FX on that track will not reflect the EQ changes?

Gaja

09 Mar 2016

I'm curious as to what exactly you're trying to achieve with your setup. Usually people I speak to who rewire, want to mix in their host software (logic in your case). So I'm curious as to what's stopping you from using send fx in logic.
Also what might be of use for you is actually commiting to the amount of send on the individual tracks and bounce them with the send effect on. Now you can import them into logic, or if you insist, rewire those tracks to logic. I know it's not exactly the workflow you hoped for, but rewire doesn't appear to be working in your favour that way.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

JoshC1

09 Mar 2016

I want to keep the mix as close as possible to the original, so I want to maintain all the Reason sends (Distortion, reverb & delay) and just use logic for dynamics processing & surgical EQ

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2016

There are limits to working the way you want to work. Remember, returns are in parallel with the original track and are not a "part" of the original track. If you were to merge them together, you no longer have control over the amount of the FX as they will all be a part of the same audio signal. If you keep them separate you'll need a separate return for EACH channel you send.

In your example, you have 10 channels feeding an FX. If you return the FX on a single channel as I originally suggested, you would have to use Reason's SOLO buttons to be sure that only one channel was feeding the FX - or you'll hear all 10 channels on the distortion return signal!

The only real solution when mixing is to use FX in the MAIN mixer, in your case it's Logic not Reason. This will allow you to solo tracks as expected.

The only other solution is a bit over the top, but won't work in your case because you'll run out of channels if I'm understanding your situation correctly. You'd have to have TWO channels for each instrument, one as it is now, and another with the individual FX returns. If you have two sends on a channel, you'll need TWO additional channels for the returns. You'll also need many more instances of the effects you're using, which in the case of any non-linear effects such as distortion will change the final effect because the signals won't be interacting any more.

If you can visualize the current signal flow in Reason it may help to understand why you can't easily re-create this same setup in Logic - it's not the fault of Logic, as any two DAWs would have the same problem working "as one".

Again, simplest approach is keep sends/returns on the master mixer, and let Reason provide JUST the instruments. Probably not what you wanted to hear, and if I'm not following you please let me know - there may be other solutions to your specific situation I'm overlooking here!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

09 Mar 2016

JoshC1 wrote:I want to keep the mix as close as possible to the original, so I want to maintain all the Reason sends (Distortion, reverb & delay) and just use logic for dynamics processing & surgical EQ
ReWire would have to be bi-directional for this to work, and it's not. Think of this - normally when you EQ a track, the EQ'd signal gets sent to the FX on the sends. BUT, if you EQ in Logic, the FX won't receive the EQ'd signal - you'd have to send it back to Reason where the FX are located for this to work.

I'd suggest a two part approach, which of course still sucks when mixing. Make your EQ etc changes in Logic, then export the tracks back into Reason for the final mix. This is the best way to keep your current mix "as is" IMO, and still have access to Logic's EQ etc. The down side is that you won't be able to keep tweaking the EQ as you mix - but maybe that's a good thing?!? ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Ronin

09 Mar 2016

bounce stems and mix in logic maybe?

• Information