DataBridge Project Thread (RackNode II / MetaPads)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
jfrichards

23 Nov 2016

Can you hold that ball again?
Attachments
aarg.jpg
aarg.jpg (48.12 KiB) Viewed 3299 times

Aquila

23 Nov 2016

Any other devs willing to lend a hand?

Raveshaper

25 Nov 2016

This Year I'm Thankful For...

...Getting the warp engine back online. Mostly.

There is still the issue of destructive crosstalk when attempting to disengage it, but at least I have some theories as to what I can do to fix that. So I'm not as helpless as I was a day ago. Turns out the solution here was to simplify it back down to what it used to be (which ended up achieving what I was trying to do anyway).

Get On With It

"Yeah but what does it sound like?"
People who have been following this for a long time, I thank you for your support and I am indebted for your patience.
It appears, at long last, that I have a demo track to record. It's been quite a ride, but I think the time has come.

Release?

I'm holding off the release of the scripts for a bit until I can iron out the destructive disengage of the warp engine.
So, it could take as little as a day to as much as a week to squash that bug. Even then, I want to test it pretty hard and make my demo for it. Mainly to satisfy myself that it isn't glitching out.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ravisoni

28 Jan 2017

Just checking in. How's the progress?
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Raveshaper

29 Jan 2017

The project now supports CopperLAN, enabling a completely in-the-box solution without physical hardware (beyond wifi).

So far all virtual MIDI cables that support loopback have failed to function correctly, so unless I'm experiencing some sort of PEBKAC these have been shown to be incompatible.

I'm in the process of writing a release article for the site and cleaning up my comments in the source code. It will be a bit of a process to write all this down in a form that is accessible yet informative so I am grateful for patience while I find the words.

Proper audio demonstration of what this can do is also in the works, but will require a bit more planning to really do it justice. Once I get the article written down I will know more clearly how to go about this as it has eluded me up to this point. It's difficult to explain what's happening without also seeing it, but I currently lack the ability to make proper video of the system in action with voice over. I may end up recording one with explanatory text instead (like many devs do).

It's on the way, wish I had more time to focus solely on this.
It will be donationware, but not required. If you find it useful, you can name whatever price you want including $0.

Raveshaper

08 Jun 2017

The project is still in active development, although after a considerable hiatus. Version 5 will be the final stable build of the architecture and the source material for the articles and demonstrations.

I'm happy to announce it's very nearly complete and better designed than any previous iteration.

There is potential for VST integration, but this addition largely depends on the creation of a utility to convert Remote exports into extension libraries. There is simply too much work involved in that otherwise.

househoppin09

09 Jun 2017

Great to hear! Your dedication to this project is very inspiring. :)

ravisoni

10 Jun 2017

Seconf what househoppin09 said. Really intrigued, and glad to hear it's nearing a stable build (and hopefully release).

teddymcw

11 Jun 2017

Just echoing support Raveshaper. I believe you're executing on something that many of us had dreamed of. I often think of more global controls and just general unification as demonstrated in your first video. Ride on!

RandomSkratch

11 Jun 2017

teddymcw wrote:...as demonstrated in your first video.
Wait a sec, there's already been a video of this?

teddymcw

12 Jun 2017

RandomSkratch wrote:
teddymcw wrote:...as demonstrated in your first video.
Wait a sec, there's already been a video of this?

There was a short gif like video iirc.

Not speaking for anyone ever, but I'm guessing it'd be worth it to wait for RS's next demo, whatever they decide to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raveshaper

14 Jun 2017

The Final Update
I am very pleased to announce that the build of the core code is so near completion that this will, at long last, be the final update before a proper release for the project. A lot of very hard work has culminated in the final design and I am proud of the achievement this represents in terms of creative possibilities for producers of all varieties moving forward.

State of the Project
Currently, the build is limited to stock devices found in Reason 7+. I plan on building support for other device types in the future, however, the hope is that this project and the promise of its potential will spearhead innovations within Reason itself to allow for this sort of ultra advanced use to be made more easy to achieve. Until that day, this will more than satisfy the needs of the most demanding expectations of those who like to get technical with their secret methods and techniques.

The code is resting comfortably at a total line count of 9,275. It is the largest known yet most efficient surface design to date.

The only remaining things to finish are the command line editing functions and how they interact with generic MIDI Controller surfaces.
This will need some care and attention, as the most difficult portion of the entire architecture has been the generic MIDI Controller surface designs. This work should not take longer than 48 hours from the time of this writing. I expect it will take far less than that.

Housekeeping
There were previously announced features in this thread over the course of its lifespan, but I thought it would be good to recap what this thing can and can not do or will and will not do. It's no use getting one's hopes up if that leads to disappointment in the result.

First of all, it is important to understand that this project does not contain any audio streams or alternatives to audio cabling in the rack. It is a strictly MIDI based implementation, albeit an enormous one. You can think of this as an alternative to automation that lets you do things in a live or pseudo organic way that previously would have been very difficult or resource intensive to accomplish in Reason simply using its stock install.

Here are the key features to look forward to:
  • Virtual outputs from every device parameter
  • Scalable I/O counts to fit your computer specs or production needs
  • Customizable minimum and maximum values complete with support for inverted and range-specific response
  • Non-destructive editing that only changes elements you interact with during edit mode
  • Interpolation engine with per-mapping granular assignment of 128 types of easing curves and 128 different graph plotting speeds
  • Patch-based interface can be mapped to custom key commands for total workflow integration
  • Daisy chain of all modulations for immense "super patch" setups
  • Direct access to dynamic data sources for powerful auto modulations and dynamic response to real time audio in your project
  • Audio warping, shredding, and harmonic shattering using the embedded warp engine
  • Note randomization and particle effects through dynamic modulation of the ReGroove Mixer
  • Up to 128 virtual layers that can each contain their own combination of elements from the preceding entries in this list
  • Auto kill of Reverb tails and other persistent effects by mapping Transport Stop
  • Command line editor for blazing fast programming of custom parameters, such as keyboard splits and device parameter response
  • Built to support TouchOSC Bridge, CopperLAN, and/or use of multiple devices during live performance or studio use
There is no support for (and there can be no support for) playing another instance of Reason like a giant plugin or anything like that.
There is also no support for cue points in this incarnation, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of eventually building something like that.

Important Limitations
This implementation utilizes the rack in ways not originally intended by Propellerhead, therefor it effectively breaks the Undo list by flooding it with changes to parameters. Preservation of desired results depends entirely upon capture of output to audio track. These are serious hurdles, and it does take a sizable amount of adjustment to fully incorporate, but there are other factors to consider when using this system.

Experimentation Beyond Limits
Using this system will allow you to experiment with new ways of working that you might not have ever thought about and will give you results you otherwise can't achieve. This is certainly aimed at the electronic music scene because of its highly experimental nature, but it has serious implications for all creative people who like to leap off into the unknown when making sounds.

By performing auto modulations inside this system, you can save considerable amounts of your cpu meter by offloading your automation into this system. You can also tie this system into automation by only drawing in clips for one parameter and then using those adjustments to drive a "super patch".

Above all, you can just sit down, map things you want to use and play. The keyboard for any given instrument you load into this system is set to be global by default, meaning everything tied into the system can be played as one group. If you want to have control over multiple instruments one at a time, you can separate these instruments by virtual layers before beginning a session. The switching from one layer to another is seamless.

The long of the short is, now anything you want to do you pretty much can. Almost, but hey. Nothing is perfect.

I am going to take a much deserved rest of my night off and get back at it tomorrow.
A proper video release is on my list, since it won't really make sense until it can be shown in action.
I'll see you very soon.

AttenuationHz

14 Jun 2017

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

I was having trouble following what it is you are working on still am hope a video demo will put sense to it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Raveshaper

16 Jun 2017

A New Era Dawns
At approximately 11:58 PM PST on 06/15/2017, the last few lines were put in place.
Turns out I needed the whole 48 hours after all.

It has been a very long road to get here and I admit the burnout is real.
As I regain my stamina over the course of the coming days, I will begin the process of writing the skeleton of a series of proper articles for the launch, as well as the general script for a video demonstration. That kind of writing is far easier than writing the core code has proven to be.

Again, thank you to those who have supported me over the course of this effort.
It's about to be a whole new game.

aeox
Competition Winner

16 Jun 2017

i honestly have no idea what is going on but i smell hype in the air..

FlowerSoldier

16 Jun 2017

Bump. It's a big day.

Raveshaper

16 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:
16 Jun 2017
Hype is nutritious, full of vitamins, and good for you. No really, there's no hype involved (if hype means over promising and under delivering).

Aquila

17 Jun 2017

Raveshaper wrote:
16 Jun 2017
aeox wrote:
16 Jun 2017
Hype is nutritious, full of vitamins, and good for you. No really, there's no hype involved (if hype means over promising and under delivering).
Hype can also refer to overexpectations ;)

Raveshaper

17 Jun 2017

I'm not promising perfection. But if someone feels disappointed then by all means, they are welcome to raise the bar.

ravisoni

02 Jul 2017

Just checking in on progress, if any.

Jmax

02 Jul 2017

sounds like scientific bibble babble to me..

Raveshaper

03 Jul 2017

Reason is auditory scientific bibble babble. So yes. Using Reason without CV is arithmetic. Using CV is algebra. Using this, is calculus. But it's more fun than the other two.

ravisoni

23 Oct 2017

Seeing that it has been 17 - almost 18 - months since the inception of the thread for this project, and nothing to show for it yet, I hereby declare my interest in it dead.
The suspense was fun while it lasted.
Word to the wise: Don't let the perfect plan be the death of a good plan.

Good luck.

• Information