Simple way to control attack of samples in Redrum?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
alexfsu

29 Feb 2016

I love layering drums in Redrum, but the lack of attack setting is killing me, all of the transients are stacking up on each other. I'm sure there's a longwinded way to control the attack of samples, prob via linking up a Thor per layer, but man, is there a much easier way? Thanks!

platzangst

29 Feb 2016

In Redrum? There's only two ways, as far as I know. One is the toggle between two shapes - a triangular shape and a square one - and that isn't so much a control for the attack so much as how a sample decays. A quicker decay would make the attack seem louder by comparison. The only other thing I know you can do is on slots that have a "start" knob, you could set the sample to start later on in the file, shaving off some of the attack sound. But the Redrum isn't a super precision tool for that kind of sound editing, and you might be better off using a Kong or just one of the samplers if you want to twiddle the attacks.

Djstarski

29 Feb 2016

i would suggest using Kong instead where you have the use of the transient shaper which you can control the attack and release . Stacking in Kong is easy to .

alexfsu

29 Feb 2016

Djstarski wrote:i would suggest using Kong instead where you have the use of the transient shaper which you can control the attack and release . Stacking in Kong is easy to .
I've tried the transient shaper w Kong, I still get a transient even w extreme settings. I just wanna take the tail of a clap or acoustic snare for instance

Djstarski

29 Feb 2016

alexfsu wrote:
Djstarski wrote:i would suggest using Kong instead where you have the use of the transient shaper which you can control the attack and release . Stacking in Kong is easy to .
I've tried the transient shaper w Kong, I still get a transient even w extreme settings. I just wanna take the tail of a clap or acoustic snare for instance
ok . try using the length knob on the redrum and the decay on Kong .

it would be nice to know what sound your working with and an example of where you want it to be . if you could upload your patch and maybe we can give it a go .

Vince-Noir-99

29 Feb 2016

alexfsu wrote:
If you mean tail, then you're looking to control the decay, which in Redrum is the Length knob. Or did I misunderstand?
Otherwise, the only control over attack is the sample start, which is only available in a few channels and may help reduce the transient (though it may induce some clicks).
In similar circumstances I miss the simplicity of Ableton's Simpler and Drum Racks :)

mguh22

29 Feb 2016

Go into the Samples tab on the Tool Window.
Look under 'Assigned Samples' and find your Redrum instance in there.

Find the sample you want to edit, select it and choose Edit.

You can use the Reason Sample Editor to create any kind of fade in you like to your sample.
Click Save once done and you should hear your results instantly, as Redrum triggers your newly saved sample instead of the old one.

Sorted.

Chizmata

01 Mar 2016

alexfsu wrote:
the nano sampler in kong has an attack control and a sample edit function. you could also bump your beat into a Rex file and process it there.

Djstarski

01 Mar 2016

there are many ways to skin a cat .

mguh22

01 Mar 2016

The way I proposed is best as it keeps everything inside Redrum.

Vince-Noir-99

01 Mar 2016

mguh22 wrote:Go into the Samples tab on the Tool Window.
Look under 'Assigned Samples' and find your Redrum instance in there.

Find the sample you want to edit, select it and choose Edit.

You can use the Reason Sample Editor to create any kind of fade in you like to your sample.
Click Save once done and you should hear your results instantly, as Redrum triggers your newly saved sample instead of the old one.

Sorted.

:thumbs_up: So simple, yet I never ever remember that there's a wave editor haha.
I didn't really adjust to having the detached window for that. It feels weird, coming from Ableton Simpler, where the waveform is right there in front of you the entire time.. I wish they'd upgrade the NNs to make them more intuitive.

mguh22

01 Mar 2016

They've already moved some Tool Window functionality into the main Transport bar for Quantize stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next release of Reason sees the Tool Window disappear completely with everything inline and available within the same window at all times; expandable/contractable, like the Browser has become.

• Information