Would you buy reason9 if the main new feature was melodyne support?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Dante

29 Feb 2016

Yes, but it could be any piano roll pitch correction be it Melodyne, Propellerheads own variation, or anything like VariAudio in Cubase. Doesn't necessarily have to be specifically 'Melodyne' to make me reach for the wallet. As long as its well integrated into the Reason workflow.

boobytrap

01 Mar 2016

When Reason 5 they introduce new Kong drum designer. And after that R6, they add new SSL mixer and 3 FX devices. But R7, R8 just only standard features. Nothing mind blowing. Evan the workflow they said.
I’m pretty sure R9 come with some small things and maybe they give some extra RE with your upgrade. Like they did with R7&8. All the time we get hoodwinked. Personally I don’t expect anything big in R9. Better if they improve something in workflow.
see.jpg
see.jpg (83.54 KiB) Viewed 1607 times
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

cjb123

01 Mar 2016

groggy1 wrote:Would you upgrade if this was the big addition for reason9?
Translation: Would you buy reason 9 if the main new feature was 'cat' support?
gak wrote:Image
Answer: Yes, I'd upgrade in a second if this was the big new feature for reason9!

...Come on props!! ;)

Chizmata

01 Mar 2016

tbh im wondering what they could really add except for finetuning the existing stuff. in terms of devices they could add a dedicated cv generator and router and im also missing a multiband compressor.

svenh

01 Mar 2016

groggy1 wrote:Would you upgrade if this was the big addition for reason9? I was thinking about it, and celemony is working hard to support all daws. So hope to see it in reason too.
I definitely would. A modern, improved alternative to Neptune is long overdue.

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Mar 2016

You can do quite a lot with Neptune with a little savvy.

If you capture the pitch detection cv output as midi via EMI and a loopback plugin, you can edit it in the arranger window. That will let you alter pitch in the timeline, timing would have to be edited separately either beforehand or after!

michal22

01 Mar 2016

Yes. I would like Melodyne or something similar in graphical form in the sequencer on pianoroll.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

illone

01 Mar 2016

Absolutely 1000%. Main missing feature for me.

selig
RE Developer

01 Mar 2016

boobytrap wrote: All the time we get hoodwinked.
How are you possibly getting hoodwinked - they tell you exactly what's in the next version, you can even demo it. If you decide to go for it, you really can't say you were deceived in any way, can you?
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

01 Mar 2016

I would like something integrated into the system. specifically, a graphic tuner that is as trasparent as possible but that also workd well with Reason. Not as an RE like neptune or -say, and EQ- but more like a processor.

I almost never slam a tuning over the entire track. Often there will be entire passages that will be fine as they are or only a bit pitchy as many singers will self correct as they land on phrase endings or big primary chords. It's usually a phrase here or just the ending of a phrase which gets help with tuning. An over all tuning setting is almost useless in my experience unless you want that T-Pain auto bot thingy and even then that works differently on different stages of pitchyness.

As it is now, I don't see how you would be able to do it unless it is integrated into the system with some sort of rendering option ala audiosuite where you could select the phrase or note and tune is and process it by itself. I don't see this going well unless you seperate the audio into managable chunks, bounce each section out and import it back in...kinda like what people do now. At least, that's what I do now. Still, that way, it's difficult to place each segment correctly. Not impossible, just a pain in the butt.

(here's a trick if it's going to be the T-Pain sound, Don't let the singer hear his vocs or just a tiny bit. Then he will be more out and the tuner will have more to grab on, works better than making a bot out of an in-tune voc))

Any guesses on how Melodyne/Wavestune/Autotune would be integrated into Reason?

SA Studio

01 Mar 2016

"(here's a trick if it's going to be the T-Pain sound, Don't let the singer hear his vocs or just a tiny bit. Then he will be more out and the tuner will have more to grab on, works better than making a bot out of an in-tune voc))"

Ahh! Very good tip. It was a rude epiphany the day I realized why I couldn't ever really coax the T-Pain sound out of my vocals with good ol' Antares. I put a friend of mine who completely can't sing behind a mic with Auto-Tune on it and it sounded like a hit record :P

WavesTune would also be a unique integration as it has to "listen" to the song one play-through and create the graphics, etc. that can then be moved an manipulated like Melodyne. I've had good luck with overall tunings with WavesTune set to a low(er) amount of "Correct". I don't know how they'd do it, but it would give me one more reason to import all stems from a tracking project done in another DAW and finishing the production/final mix in Reason.

C//AZM

01 Mar 2016

Or do two tracks and let him only hear the one he already sang while he's singing the current voc! LOL drives people crazy!

yes I do like the "learn" technique but as I've had Waves-tune in a bundle for a while and haven't used it neearly as much as Melodyne, I'm sorry to say I'm stump-dumb on that method. Gonna try it soon as I get a chance. I've heard sone very transparent wavestune tunings.

boobytrap

01 Mar 2016

selig wrote:
boobytrap wrote: All the time we get hoodwinked.
How are you possibly getting hoodwinked - they tell you exactly what's in the next version, you can even demo it. If you decide to go for it, you really can't say you were deceived in any way, can you?
;)
let's talk about the basics. will they make automation curves , I'm ready to pay 129$.
just curves ! . include fade in out on clips.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

sinnerfire

02 Mar 2016

The Props should update there VERY old stock instruments and effects before they add anything new like Melodyne.
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Mar 2016

If Propellerhead created an SDK for timeline plugins we'd have much more than Melodyne support ;)

Alkua

21 May 2016

The pitch edit is Here now. I surprise that many user in thread wasn't interested in this feature, and look like is the main feature in V9 that make user will upgrade.

I know is not Melodyne, but it is a graph pitch corrector integrated in Reason that is even better.

• Information