Reason Vocoders.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sinnerfire

28 Feb 2016

Hello Reasontalk,

I use Reasons "BV512 vocoder" a lot so i thought it would be a great idea to buy some more Vocoder Re's but shockingly it seems that there are only three in the Prop shop?

We have a million and one of everything else in the shop so am i missing something? or is there more Reason Vocoders in the shop that i'm missing?

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Reason Vocoders.001.jpeg
Reason Vocoders.001.jpeg (333.14 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

Djstarski

28 Feb 2016

Parsec sounds great also

sinnerfire

28 Feb 2016

Djstarski wrote:

Parsec sounds great also
Parsec has a Vocoder attached to it? wow thats great!!

Is there any other Vocoders in Reason? I can't believe that i have only found 4?

Vince-Noir-99

28 Feb 2016

If talking about intelligibility, I think nothing beats BV512 and Parsec's built in vocoder.

Bitspeek is great for linear predictive coding FX (a different type of robotic sound which doesn't require to be paired to another source), and has a super handy note out in the back for musical tuning of other devices via CV. Its vocoder alone, in my opinion, isn't much compared to BV512.

Parsec is neat as you can use the Sound Engines to morph the vocoded source into a lot of unusual sounds. And as a synth is worth having, beyond the vocoder :thumbs_up:

Vocodizer, I wasn't much impressed by it. It comes across as a quick roboFX with chord presets, but maybe suitable to your needs?

Uhbik, I can't really remember, sorry. I think it was eating a lot of CPU and didn't quite do what I was looking for, but can't remember any details.

Out of the REs, I really like Bitspeek because afaik no other device in Reason does LPC, and again, the Note Out is a godsend. Should be on more devices!

What particular vocoder features were you looking for that BV512 doesn't offer?

sinnerfire

28 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:What particular vocoder features were you looking for that BV512 doesn't offer?
TBH, i have used the "BV512" so much over the years, that all im looking for is something different, I also have a new "Vocoder" inspired Refill that iv been working on for longer than i care to admit that needs some new ideas to finish as well.

Im surprised that there is not more options really, Bitspeak is cool but i found Uhbik G and SB Vocodizer a bit lacking.

sinnerfire

28 Feb 2016

K.Markov wrote:RP Predator
Ahhh, Predator has a Vocoder!! Excellent, thanks K.Markov!!

dioxide

28 Feb 2016

What's the Uhbik vocoder device?

Maybe we should compile a list, there are more than I thought!

K.Markov

28 Feb 2016

sinnerfire wrote:
K.Markov wrote:RP Predator
Ahhh, Predator has a Vocoder!! Excellent, thanks K.Markov!!

u r welcome :puf_smile:
great synth for all other things:
- as effect processor
- vocoder
- programmable arpeggio out for other devices

plus over 4000 presets :puf_bigsmile:

my advice for users with reason essentials ;)

p.s. I can't fight the impression that predator reminds me of a virus c synth :puf_smile:

normen

28 Feb 2016

A Vocoder is a vocoder, the only thing that defines it are the number of bands it supports.. What would you want to be "different"...?

joeyluck

28 Feb 2016

One thing... different vocoders handle sibilance differently. I find I get better results from my Warpfactory than from the BV512. But also, I like experimenting with the BV512 (and other Reason vocoder) with Selig's DeEsser (making use of the sibilance output).

You can split the audio to both or try sending the 'voice' from the DeEsser to the vocoder and mixing 'sibilance' to taste.

normen

28 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote:One thing... different vocoders handle sibilance differently. I find I get better results from my Warpfactory than from the BV512. But also, I like experimenting with the BV512 (and other Reason vocoder) with Selig's DeEsser (making use of the sibilance output).
Technically whats happening with sibilance in vocoder effects plugins isn't really part of the vocoding process, they're basically mixing in the original sound because sibilance is important for intelligibility. As you say, you can define that yourself in any conceivable way with Reasons flexible routing.

joeyluck

28 Feb 2016

normen wrote:
joeyluck wrote:One thing... different vocoders handle sibilance differently. I find I get better results from my Warpfactory than from the BV512. But also, I like experimenting with the BV512 (and other Reason vocoder) with Selig's DeEsser (making use of the sibilance output).
Technically whats happening with sibilance in vocoder effects plugins isn't really part of the vocoding process, they're basically mixing in the original sound because sibilance is important for intelligibility. As you say, you can define that yourself in any conceivable way with Reasons flexible routing.
I was just referring to it as a difference aside from bands. I need to correct when using the BV512. With the Warpfactory I do not.

Djstarski

28 Feb 2016

sinnerfire wrote:Hello Reasontalk,

I use Reasons "BV512 vocoder" a lot so i thought it would be a great idea to buy some more Vocoder Re's but shockingly it seems that there are only three in the Prop shop?

We have a million and one of everything else in the shop so am i missing something? or is there more Reason Vocoders in the shop that i'm missing?

Thanks for your help.
what synths in Reason have you used as your carrier with the BV512 ?

if you haven't already try Thor and change Filter 1 to a formant and play around with that .

joeyluck

28 Feb 2016

Djstarski wrote:
sinnerfire wrote:Hello Reasontalk,

Thanks for your help.
what synths in Reason have you used as your carrier with the BV512 ?

if you haven't already try Thor and change Filter 1 to a formant and play around with that .
Speaking of carriers... I've used trumpets and trombones often; such as in this song:

eusti

28 Feb 2016

Very cool song, Joey!

D.

MirEko

28 Feb 2016

Make your own :cool:

This is a small demo track of a vocoder combi I made using just redrock devices and ReQ131.

:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

MirEko

28 Feb 2016

Thats a detailed view if you want to recreate it :thumbs_up:
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

Zerosity

29 Feb 2016

WongoTheSane

29 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Out of the REs, I really like Bitspeek because afaik no other device in Reason does LPC, and again, the Note Out is a godsend. Should be on more devices!
I love Bitspeek for its Detune knob but haven't played around with the Note Out yet, could you give us an example of how it could be used?

Vince-Noir-99

29 Feb 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Out of the REs, I really like Bitspeek because afaik no other device in Reason does LPC, and again, the Note Out is a godsend. Should be on more devices!
I love Bitspeek for its Detune knob but haven't played around with the Note Out yet, could you give us an example of how it could be used?
Sure! There are some combis where it's used to tune the frequency of Echobode, if you have it, which is really great! Otherwise I simply used it to drive synths like Subtractor with audio (by also using the gate out). I know it's also possible with Neptune and some Thor magic but it's not as straight forward. Finally, I'd say pretty much any parameter you'd like to tune to a monophonic audio source...

WongoTheSane

29 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:
Sure! There are some combis where it's used to tune the frequency of Echobode, if you have it, which is really great! Otherwise I simply used it to drive synths like Subtractor with audio (by also using the gate out). I know it's also possible with Neptune and some Thor magic but it's not as straight forward. Finally, I'd say pretty much any parameter you'd like to tune to a monophonic audio source...
Wow, I didn't know it could do that! I just checked and most of the patches that come with it are indeed based on this very method. "TalkingDrums" in particular is really impressive. Thanks for the tip, Vince!

sinnerfire

02 Mar 2016

MirEko wrote:Image

Thats a detailed view if you want to recreate it :thumbs_up:
This looks interesting, if i cant make it from your screenshot, can i get the preset if i inbox you and ask REALLY nice? :D

Edit: I noticed that you put a red and blue circle on that audio splitter, what's that mean? Thanks.

BPGeez

02 Mar 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Speaking of carriers... I've used trumpets and trombones often; such as in this song:

You used the Reason to get this talk box effect?? or am I mistaken?
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

• Information