Audio recording question [Help]

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
eox

24 Feb 2016

Hey everyone,

So for as long as I can remember I have used Reason in Rewire mode in Reaper and right now I am working on a project solely in Reason. I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this, but I cannot seem to figure out exactly how to record audio within Reason (I know how to record audio like a guitar or vocals via mic). But what I mean by that is, right now I have a snare drum from octo rex that I want to bounce as an audio file to reverse the clip but keep the original (midi lane) as is. How does one do this? I know how to internally bounce the midi clip to audio but I can't figure out how to create an audio track for the snare to be recorded in, that way I have it's own channel. How do you achieve this?

ravisoni

24 Feb 2016

The easiest and fastest way to do this would be to load that particular slice in a redrum drum slot. On the mix channel associated with the redrum, hit rec source (blue letters, bottom right).
Next create an audio track (ctrl+t), and in its "audio in", just select redrum 1 left.
Hit the record button and simply hit the "play" button on the redrum drum slot. Your hit will be recorded as an audio file to that audio track.
See the attached picture if it helps clarify.
EDIT: And if you don't want to go through the whole process of loading up a redrum, all you need to do is choose your mix channel for your octorex as a rec source, and trigger just the one particular slice you're after. I'm not entirely sure if that's possible using octorex, but if you know how, you'll get the same results. Main thing is triggering the sound that you want to record.
Attachments
Rec.png
Rec.png (571.3 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Last edited by ravisoni on 24 Feb 2016, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

eox

24 Feb 2016

Wow, thank you for a quick and very detailed response! I was attempting to do that but for some reason the only inputs I could select was from my RME interface and that's where I began to get confused. Ill give it another shot and see what I am doing wrong. Thank you again!

OldSchoolSkunk

28 Feb 2016

Even another way.. is to create an audio track... while the audio track has focus.. go into the browser since you are using and OctoRex Loop find the loop if the loop has a small arrow on it.. click that to expand the loop.. you can now browse the Loop slices.. find your snare and drag and drop it to the audio track. then do what you want with it.. Reason 8 great for this.. you create beats out of slices and wav or aiff files and use them as audio. :-) I hope this helps..

• Information