Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aftrshok99

14 Apr 2016

I watched your live stream and yes you were pretty careful not to play anything to get flagged!!! The whole time I was watching the stream I kept thinking in the back of my mind "I wonder which song he'll get flagged for?" That's bullshit on the POS and what they did with the demo song!!!

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with Youtube and the notices!
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

4filegate

14 Apr 2016

thanks Adam for doing this! :lightbulb: ice balls are ideal for iced tea :?: https://vimeo.com/

adfielding

17 Apr 2016

aftrshok99 wrote:I watched your live stream and yes you were pretty careful not to play anything to get flagged!!! The whole time I was watching the stream I kept thinking in the back of my mind "I wonder which song he'll get flagged for?" That's bullshit on the POS and what they did with the demo song!!!

Sorry that you are having so much trouble with Youtube and the notices!
Yeah, it's kind of crazy. I think this is probably for the best though, at least this way I'll be able to stream whatever I like during the sessions I won't be archiving on Youtube (so, basically, anything that isn't a music making session). Plus, they'll still be available on Twitch for 2 weeks afterwards so in the grand scheme of things it's not really that big of a deal... it just further highlights how bass-ackwards Youtube's Content ID system is.
4filegate wrote:thanks Adam for doing this! :lightbulb: ice balls are ideal for iced tea :?: https://vimeo.com/
Haha, thanks! I had considered Vimeo, but I'll just stick with Youtube for my music making sessions and leave the other streams just on Twitch for the time being. I still plan on keeping local copies on my computer here so I guess if I change my mind down the line it'll still be an option :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

17 Apr 2016

adfielding wrote: a hearty "fuck you" to Youtube for their shitty ContentID system that penalises legitimate users.
It's there to penalise illegitmate users, Adam.

You've effectively said you've chosen to be penalised by ignoring the problem of false flagging of your tracks, so don't then start complaining it's their fault if your attitude is to let it happen. Either what's been done to you is wrong and you try to fight it and get those thieving PoS's banned, or it thus becomes acceptabl, they get away with it, do it other people too, and you're then partly responsible for allowing that to happen.

If someone has previously registered your track as theirs under ContentID, it's hardly Google's fault, per se, you get flagged. It's deeply annoying, I understand that, but the only blame here is with the person doing the uploading. When there was copyright free-for-all YT pisseed people off. They introduce a system to try and manage it and people are pissed off. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. The trouble with such systems is that of course they are open to abuse.

Like all abuse, it needs to be dealt with, not ignored, or left to be someone else's problem.

From YT: "Content owners who repeatedly make erroneous claims can have their Content ID access disabled and their partnership with YouTube terminated." In terms of a Reason 2 demo track, you can easily prove it's yours, the illegimate claimant can't. It's one email. And the next time it happens use the same damn email and change the track name. It's a five-minute job.

Now, if you complained to YT, explained and fought your position and they came back and still told you to bugger off and not accept your cliam to your own work, then you've got a right to be deeply pissed and call them every name under the sun. But as it is right now, I can't see why you're blaming them for someone else's abuse, especially when you're content to let them get away it.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

17 Apr 2016

It's interesting that you complain about YT and yet I'm reminded of this:
adfielding wrote:I like that they split Allihoopa off into its own thing - it's a neat service, but I feel like I'm not really its target audience.

Allihoopa, of course, has no ContentID system, and indeed, no copyright at all on uploads, yet you find that ok. So if the PoS had uploaded your track to there as his own, would you still think it's a neat service?

There's going to come a day when that service will get someone uploading someone elses work, illegitmately passing it off as their own, then lots of people download that track; remix it, and one of them has a big hit with it. And the trouble is, given an appropriate jurisdiction and enough money to go to court, no T&Cs absolving PH of any responsibility are really going to help them, nor the person who did the original illegitmate upload.

adfielding

18 Apr 2016

JiggeryPokery wrote:You've effectively said you've chosen to be penalised by ignoring the problem of false flagging of your tracks, so don't then start complaining it's their fault if your attitude is to let it happen.
I'm not entirely sure why you're assuming that I haven't contested this particular claim.
JiggeryPokery wrote:Allihoopa, of course, has no ContentID system, and indeed, no copyright at all on uploads, yet you find that ok. So if the PoS had uploaded your track to there as his own, would you still think it's a neat service?
In this scenario, I would be in the exact same position as I am now. I don't have access to Youtube's copyright protection service - and not for lack of trying, either. At this point you're kind of asking me "which would you prefer - a service where people can make erroneous claims against your own material, or a service where you can upload whatever you want?". Evidently both systems are open to abuse, though at the moment Allihoopa has the distinction of not threatening to take action against my account for posting my own original work.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm still in the process of appealing a claim on YT from well over a month ago for which I have clear written evidence (in the form of a contract) supporting my appeal. This appeal comes after I contested their initial copyright claim, which they refused to retract despite clearly being in the wrong. There have been zero repercussions on the part of the claimant. I don't expect that to change.

So yeah, I'll be the first to admit that I was venting a bit here, and that I probably should have left it a day or two before posting anything. It's not the end of the world - my Youtube videos don't get a whole lot of views, after all... but surely you can see why this is a little frustrating, no?

EsotericSound

19 Apr 2016

Another great session, Adam. It was nice to walk down memory lane thinking back to when I was listening to your first album. Back then, I used it as a reference while I was using Reason to re-learn mixing techniques I learned on hardware back in the early 90s. Good times. :)

However, I noticed that you forgot to mention that the Groove Mixer was introduction in Reason 4, and built-in sampling was introduced in Reason 5.

Cheers!

adfielding

20 Apr 2016

EsotericSound wrote:Another great session, Adam. It was nice to walk down memory lane thinking back to when I was listening to your first album. Back then, I used it as a reference while I was using Reason to re-learn mixing techniques I learned on hardware back in the early 90s. Good times. :)

However, I noticed that you forgot to mention that the Groove Mixer was introduction in Reason 4, and built-in sampling was introduced in Reason 5.
Thanks! And yes, you're right - I really should have covered the GM and sampling a little, especially given that I use the Groove Mixer all the time still... :)

Stranger.

20 Apr 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 04 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

adfielding

22 Apr 2016

Stranger. wrote:Btway adfielding-you can quite easily create your own web/ streaming pages-- you have total 'control' that way,lots of 'free online options available',restrictions are only monitored by providers & user/s.
You not getting youtube,twitch or w/e promotions or chance of 'being noticed',but again,if people are genuinely interested in what you do,they all can have links/access to your choosing.
Good stuff,your another great creator imo.
Ty.
It's a neat idea but... the thing is, if people want to check out my videos then the first place they're going to look is going to be Youtube - it seems kind of counter-productive for me to shun Youtube entirely because they haven't been able to handle some archived live-stream videos properly, in essence I'd be cutting off my own nose to spite my face. As I mentioned, in the grand scheme of things this really isn't that big of a deal... kind of a ridiculous situation to find oneself in, sure, but it's not like Youtube are threatening my livelihood or something. That said, if problems like this keep popping up then it'll be something to consider :)

Thanks for the kind words!

Vigner

28 Apr 2016

Hi Adam!!

Where is the video of your last stream? Cannot see it and no other in Twitch!!

Regards

adfielding

29 Apr 2016

Vigner wrote:Hi Adam!!

Regards
I haven't done a stream in a little while - I'm taking a little break as I've been pretty busy lately, but I fully intend to come back to it at some point :)

All of my music making streams are still up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... C9U3y8FvUd

My other streams aren't on Youtube because I've had enough of dealing with their ContentID system.

Wook

14 Jun 2016

Hey, Adam.

When and if can we expect a new stream from you? Those are my favourite.

Jmax

14 Jun 2016

adfielding wrote:
Vigner wrote:Hi Adam!!

Regards
I haven't done a stream in a little while - I'm taking a little break as I've been pretty busy lately, but I fully intend to come back to it at some point :)

All of my music making streams are still up on Youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... C9U3y8FvUd

My other streams aren't on Youtube because I've had enough of dealing with their ContentID system.
Hey Adam,

Just curious what headset it is your using to make the video? (can't see exactly) the speech audio is very clear. Also running Camtasia? Just wondering what the setup is. I was using a mic for some videos but it's always awkward in position or going back to the midi keyboard.

Cheers

Blanka

14 Jun 2016

Wook wrote:Hey, Adam.

When and if can we expect a new stream from you? Those are my favourite.
+1

Really enjoy your streams Adam, and look forward to the next whenever you have some more time.

MarkTarlton

14 Jun 2016

we demand you come back soon adam :D

SA Studio

14 Jun 2016

You got flagged because your own music was too similar to other music?

Anyone else know how that works? I'm guessing they do a scan that taps into Pandora-like algorithms as far as key, tempo, and melody. The algorithms Pandora employs are very thorough and complex, so that tech is certainly out there.

I'd be pretty miffed about that. Especially if a guy copywrited a Demo tune. Shifty people are out there though. :x

Sinistereo

15 Jun 2016

YouTube has generated an industry of pirates who steal content from others, claim it as their own under Content ID, then attack the legitimate content owner. This is really difficult to defend against if you are a small YouTube producer... doubly so if the pirate is a large multinational company. (Sony, Sega, Viacom, and others have been caught gaming Content ID in their favor, knowing that YouTube makes it essentially impossible to fight back.)

There's a lot of YouTube money at stake for videos with high watch counts. The pirates make their money by stealing content, then driving up watch counts by predatory (or just more effective) marketing and botnets. Most of my favorite YouTube producers have complained at one time or another about having their videos stolen; some of them have ended up with DMCA strikes against them for posting videos that are obviously their own original work.

Adam, I get it. The dark underbelly of YouTube sucks.

I'd also like to see you make more videos! Pretty please...

yeahright31

15 Jun 2016

Adam I laughed watching at you in that Youtube video 160217 when you said you forget o label your channel tracks
I'm guilty of this too and my cousin told me, label your tracks man, but if I only have 6 to 8 tracks I found it strange too do so, I can understand my cousin having to label his 17-30 channel sessions. Haha, anyway iv'e started to take his advice and label now I'm using like 10 or more tracks. Now I'm seeing the benefit when it comes to changing or tweaking a setting and I see the lead or percussion is too loud.

Great stuff, i'll have to watch more, I have never tried blocks mode.

adfielding

15 Jun 2016

Blimey, thanks guys! And yeah, I really ought to get back on with this - I've been rather pre-occupied over the past few months but I think another live music-making session sometime soon might be just the ticket :)
Jmax wrote:Hey Adam,

Just curious what headset it is your using to make the video? (can't see exactly) the speech audio is very clear. Also running Camtasia? Just wondering what the setup is. I was using a mic for some videos but it's always awkward in position or going back to the midi keyboard.

Cheers
I'm recording using OBS on OS X with a Blue Snowball iCE microphone. I'm using Soundflower to get audio out of Reason and into OBS with my Saffire Pro 40, but it's very much a set-it-and-forget-it setup.

Thanks again guys, I'll be sure to update this thread once I commit to another session. I'll continue to archive my music making sessions on Youtube, and keep the other fun stuff on Twitch so I'm not having to second guess myself every time I choose to play a bit of music.

Also, I'd like to emphasise that my lack of streaming activity lately has absolutely nothing to do with Youtube's bonkers policies ;)

Sinistereo

15 Jun 2016

Good news! I figured you are a busy guy with lots of other projects on your plate. But YouTube definitely has moments full of suckage.

Bring out the pom-poms! Your fans await! :)

Have you considered creating a Patreon account? We could at least fund your "tea" to fuel the creative sessions...

adfielding

15 Jun 2016

Sinistereo wrote:Good news! I figured you are a busy guy with lots of other projects on your plate. But YouTube definitely has moments full of suckage.

Bring out the pom-poms! Your fans await! :)

Have you considered creating a Patreon account? We could at least fund your "tea" to fuel the creative sessions...
Honestly, I never considered setting up a Patreon account - I always assumed that I was being watched by about three people so it never really crossed my mind, haha :) I'll have to check it out, thanks!

Exowildebeest

15 Jun 2016

adfielding wrote: All I can offer are my apologies to anyone who would have wanted me to archive this stuff, and a hearty "fuck you" to Youtube for their shitty ContentID system that penalises legitimate users.
It's a common problem on Youtube. Burden of proof turned on its head. Youtube wouldn't have to do any of that crap if there weren't "entertainment industry" vultures pushing copyright like the Nuremberg laws. They'd have the entire internet scanned and auto-censored in real-time if it were in any way possible. Just wait until they figure out how they can take down livestreams too :roll:

adfielding

10 Oct 2018

Apologies for the necro-bump, but I've got some good news (if you're into this kind of thing!)...

The livestreams are coming back! :D

I haven't solidified a time or date yet, but it'll be sometime in the next few weeks, and I'll be kicking things off again with a music-making session. Once I pick a regular day/time-slot I'll post it here.

Right now I've got a few ideas to work around but, generally speaking... I haven't got a clue as to what to cover! So, with that in mind - are there any topics outside of the start-to-finish music creation sessions that you'd like me to cover? Bearing in mind that this will be mainly Reason-focussed, I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions for future streams.

I can't wait to get back into this as it's been way, WAY too long - and I hope to see some of you there once things get back up and running! Cheers :)

Zac

10 Oct 2018

adfielding wrote:
10 Oct 2018
Apologies for the necro-bump, but I've got some good news (if you're into this kind of thing!)...

The livestreams are coming back! :D

I haven't solidified a time or date yet, but it'll be sometime in the next few weeks, and I'll be kicking things off again with a music-making session. Once I pick a regular day/time-slot I'll post it here.

Right now I've got a few ideas to work around but, generally speaking... I haven't got a clue as to what to cover! So, with that in mind - are there any topics outside of the start-to-finish music creation sessions that you'd like me to cover? Bearing in mind that this will be mainly Reason-focussed, I'd love to hear any ideas or suggestions for future streams.

I can't wait to get back into this as it's been way, WAY too long - and I hope to see some of you there once things get back up and running! Cheers :)
I'd be interested in how you use the new multilane editing to work from bass lines to melodies etc . If that's something youve found useful? Or whatever way it's useful? Beats?

• Information