Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 30 Nov 2018

GRB wrote:
30 Nov 2018
Hi Adam, I'll try to be there! Its GMT -3 here so it falls in reasonable hours, from 16:30 to maybe 19:00.

I've enjoyed and entirely watched (took some days) your last three ones in YT going back and forward to try to understand what you did

In fact after seeing in your streams I got Polysix and Neutron in BF, so please don't use some $200 synth untill next month! j/k :)
Haha, that's awesome - PolySix is such a great little synth, and the current price is stupid good. Neutron is under-rated imo, I really ought to use it more. I also have Uhbik-G which I really ought to bust out again! I'm super tempted to pick up the complete Korg Collection if it goes on offer, but I'm not in a rush. It's a shame we never saw more Korg REs.

Don't worry, I'm not planning on using anything expensive today - I recently picked up Output's "everything" bundle (which is damn good), but I feel like diving into Kontakt instruments during a stream is cheating. I'll probably do it eventually, but hopefully not tonight :)

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 30 Nov 2018

Thanks so much to everyone who made it, it was a bit of a weird session (and my stream totally crapped out after I changed my audio device - note to self: set the audio device properly BEFOREHAND, guh) but it was a blast and, hey, I'm all about those high production values :)

YouTube version will be coming in the next day or two along with a tweaked version of the track and all that jazz.

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 01 Dec 2018

Last night's stream is now up on YouTube!



This will probably be the last music-making stream I do this year. I may or may not do another stream this year, but it almost certainly won't be a music-making session. I'm super happy with how this tune turned out, and you can grab the Reason document here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ld63tzss3h36f ... eason?dl=0

You can listen to the completed track via Soundcloud here:


I must admit I wasn't entirely sure about this track while I was working on it, but in retrospect I'm really happy with how it turned out! If you have any questions or comments, please let me know and I'll get back to you :)

Cheers!

User avatar
Reasonable man
Posts: 531
Joined: 14 Jul 2016

Post 01 Dec 2018

Thanks for your stellar contributions so far. Incredible sound design.

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 02 Dec 2018

Reasonable man wrote:
01 Dec 2018
Thanks for your stellar contributions so far. Incredible sound design.
Thanks! I’m really glad you like it :)

User avatar
Melody303
Posts: 253
Joined: 18 Mar 2015

Post 11 Dec 2018

adfielding wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Just following up on something I mentioned during the last stream - I'm considering the idea of building an entire track around other users' existing ideas in an attempt to illustrate how I get out of the dreaded "8-bar loop hell", and because it'd be a fun jumping-off point for future music-making sessions outside of the usual "starting from scratch" streams.

As such, if you've got any ideas you're particularly fond of but you've been struggling with for years, and you don't mind me going to town on said ideas... send 'em my way! Probably best to PM me here with a direct link to the Reason/RNS file (depending on how old it is!), and do remember to self-contain all external samples before sending them over. If you're using REs or VSTs, probably best to bounce those to audio before sending them over.

Needless to say I would ask for your permission before doing anything with them outside of the video, and would not begrudge you denying a public release outside of the stream - there is no commercial motivation behind doing this, I just thought it'd be fun to try working with someone else's ideas in a semi-collaborative fashion :)
Hi Adam, I think it's a lovely idea, and I'd be happy to participate with you in a semi collaboration like this, even though I don't feel stuck in 8 bar loop hell myself, I do write most of my songs in two separate occasions, the first one just getting to an 8 bar loop I love, and the second one developing those 8 bar loops to full songs. I do have several hundreds of those 8 bar loops to reach for whenever I want to do the second bit and put out a full song.

Has anyone taken you up on this idea yet? Do you have a full queue of those to go through in future streams? :p Either way, should I send one or two over? (thinking of picking one of the oldest ones I haven't yet developed, along with one of the newest ones.)
it'd also help to know/get a reminder on which of these RE's you have, so as to remove the need for bouncing stuff on the recent one (the oldest I'd send I wrote before RE's were a thing). Fritz, Nostromo, ABL3, Steerpike, and Animus. Which of those do you have? :)

I haven't yet had the chance to join the stream live, but I have watched and enjoyed them after the fact. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 18 Dec 2018

Melody303 wrote:
11 Dec 2018
adfielding wrote:
29 Oct 2018
Just following up on something I mentioned during the last stream - I'm considering the idea of building an entire track around other users' existing ideas in an attempt to illustrate how I get out of the dreaded "8-bar loop hell", and because it'd be a fun jumping-off point for future music-making sessions outside of the usual "starting from scratch" streams.

As such, if you've got any ideas you're particularly fond of but you've been struggling with for years, and you don't mind me going to town on said ideas... send 'em my way! Probably best to PM me here with a direct link to the Reason/RNS file (depending on how old it is!), and do remember to self-contain all external samples before sending them over. If you're using REs or VSTs, probably best to bounce those to audio before sending them over.

Needless to say I would ask for your permission before doing anything with them outside of the video, and would not begrudge you denying a public release outside of the stream - there is no commercial motivation behind doing this, I just thought it'd be fun to try working with someone else's ideas in a semi-collaborative fashion :)
Hi Adam, I think it's a lovely idea, and I'd be happy to participate with you in a semi collaboration like this, even though I don't feel stuck in 8 bar loop hell myself, I do write most of my songs in two separate occasions, the first one just getting to an 8 bar loop I love, and the second one developing those 8 bar loops to full songs. I do have several hundreds of those 8 bar loops to reach for whenever I want to do the second bit and put out a full song.

Has anyone taken you up on this idea yet? Do you have a full queue of those to go through in future streams? :p Either way, should I send one or two over? (thinking of picking one of the oldest ones I haven't yet developed, along with one of the newest ones.)
it'd also help to know/get a reminder on which of these RE's you have, so as to remove the need for bouncing stuff on the recent one (the oldest I'd send I wrote before RE's were a thing). Fritz, Nostromo, ABL3, Steerpike, and Animus. Which of those do you have? :)

I haven't yet had the chance to join the stream live, but I have watched and enjoyed them after the fact. :)
Sorry for the slow response here, I've been a busy chap :) I've had a couple of people take me up on the offer, but I honestly have no idea when I'll be able to get around to it since I switched to a different format. Rack Extension compatibility is a factor that I must admit I didn't consider too seriously when I came up with the idea, but since having a few submissions I've realised that it might prove a little trickier than I'd anticipated - case in point, I have precisely none of the REs you've listed! :)

Definitely something I'll need to consider a bit more in the new year once I'm back in the swing of doing regular streams again methinks, but it's still an idea that I think could be fun to explore.

User avatar
Melody303
Posts: 253
Joined: 18 Mar 2015

Post 18 Dec 2018

adfielding wrote:
18 Dec 2018
Melody303 wrote:
11 Dec 2018


Hi Adam, I think it's a lovely idea, and I'd be happy to participate with you in a semi collaboration like this, even though I don't feel stuck in 8 bar loop hell myself, I do write most of my songs in two separate occasions, the first one just getting to an 8 bar loop I love, and the second one developing those 8 bar loops to full songs. I do have several hundreds of those 8 bar loops to reach for whenever I want to do the second bit and put out a full song.

Has anyone taken you up on this idea yet? Do you have a full queue of those to go through in future streams? :p Either way, should I send one or two over? (thinking of picking one of the oldest ones I haven't yet developed, along with one of the newest ones.)
it'd also help to know/get a reminder on which of these RE's you have, so as to remove the need for bouncing stuff on the recent one (the oldest I'd send I wrote before RE's were a thing). Fritz, Nostromo, ABL3, Steerpike, and Animus. Which of those do you have? :)

I haven't yet had the chance to join the stream live, but I have watched and enjoyed them after the fact. :)
Sorry for the slow response here, I've been a busy chap :) I've had a couple of people take me up on the offer, but I honestly have no idea when I'll be able to get around to it since I switched to a different format. Rack Extension compatibility is a factor that I must admit I didn't consider too seriously when I came up with the idea, but since having a few submissions I've realised that it might prove a little trickier than I'd anticipated - case in point, I have precisely none of the REs you've listed! :)

Definitely something I'll need to consider a bit more in the new year once I'm back in the swing of doing regular streams again methinks, but it's still an idea that I think could be fun to explore.
No problem. I'll send you a few older (pre-RE) projects you can have fun with. :)
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

botnotbot
Posts: 283
Joined: 26 Oct 2017

Post 06 Mar 2019

Anyone else missing the bi-weekly (US format :P) hangouts with Adam?

I know I am.

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 06 Mar 2019

botnotbot wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Anyone else missing the bi-weekly (US format :P) hangouts with Adam?

I know I am.
Oh you ;)

I fully intend to get back into it soon - at the start of the year I ended up building a new computer and switching OS, and I've been a bit busy since. It's not going to be another two-and-a-half year gap again :)

botnotbot
Posts: 283
Joined: 26 Oct 2017

Post 06 Mar 2019

adfielding wrote:
06 Mar 2019
botnotbot wrote:
06 Mar 2019
Anyone else missing the bi-weekly (US format :P) hangouts with Adam?

I know I am.
Oh you ;)

I fully intend to get back into it soon - at the start of the year I ended up building a new computer and switching OS, and I've been a bit busy since. It's not going to be another two-and-a-half year gap again :)
Glad to hear it!

Hope all is going well enough after the OS switch. That can definitely slow you down for a while.

two shoes
Posts: 253
Joined: 13 Jul 2018

Post 07 Mar 2019

Yay, I've been eagerly awaiting the next stream. Always encouraging to see a fellow reverb/delay junkie making cool music in spite of his addiction.

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 14 Nov 2019

I'm back! In what will hopefully serve as a proper kick into me making this a semi-regular thing again, this weekend I will be doing a session dive into one of my tunes from the Void Chapter release The Sprawl, as well as a general Q&A sesh.

Getting a decent set-up working in Windows 10 that allows me to basically record what I hear while still allowing me to use all of my inputs with low latency has been a bit of a challenge, but I managed to find a working solution and I'm really looking forward to getting back into this.

If you'd like to get a bit of a flavour of the kind of music present on The Sprawl, you can check out one of the tracks titled "Direct Neural Interface" here:


The stream will be at 7pm GMT on Sunday 17th November. I'd love to see some of you there!

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1669
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 14 Nov 2019

OBS and ReaStream?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 14 Nov 2019

diminished wrote:
14 Nov 2019
OBS and ReaStream?
I'm using OBS, but I really wanted to be able to mix in the audio from my USB mic on a separate channel (completely separate from Reason/whatever else I'm using) while still allowing for low-latency ASIO audio from Reason, while also allowing me to use the inputs on my audio interface in case I want to record something as I go. Maybe macOS spoiled me in that regard, but getting a good low-latency "what-you-hear-is-what-you-get" output with an extra microphone channel in Windows 10 via OBS was... troublesome.

But hey! It's sorted now and, as a bonus, this also means I can use my Virus and Analog Heat during streams - not that I intend to, but it's a nice option to have :)

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 17 Nov 2019

Just a quick update - tonight's stream has unfortunately been postponed as I ended up picking up a pretty nasty stomach bug yesterday which has left me pretty wrecked today. Rather than forcing myself through what would probably be a pretty lacklustre stream, I've taken the decision to postpone it for now. Sorry for the hassle, but I still fully intend to go ahead with this particular stream at another date in the not-so-distant future. Once I have an updated time/date I'll post it here.

User avatar
EsotericSound
Posts: 73
Joined: 17 Feb 2016

Post 17 Nov 2019

Hope you feel better soon.

Just downloading The Sprawl now based on the trailer in the previous post. I have this weird feeling that I need to get a group of friends together and play Shadowrun while this plays in the background. :puf_bigsmile:
adfielding wrote:
17 Nov 2019
Just a quick update - tonight's stream has unfortunately been postponed as I ended up picking up a pretty nasty stomach bug yesterday which has left me pretty wrecked today. Rather than forcing myself through what would probably be a pretty lacklustre stream, I've taken the decision to postpone it for now. Sorry for the hassle, but I still fully intend to go ahead with this particular stream at another date in the not-so-distant future. Once I have an updated time/date I'll post it here.

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 19 Nov 2019

EsotericSound wrote:
17 Nov 2019
Hope you feel better soon.

Just downloading The Sprawl now based on the trailer in the previous post. I have this weird feeling that I need to get a group of friends together and play Shadowrun while this plays in the background. :puf_bigsmile:
I'm feeling much better now, thanks! Only lasted a couple of days but the timing was pretty awful all-round, really. Also... the Shadowrun idea has got me thinking it might be kind of fun to try working on something with a similar sort of vibe but with much more of an underscore/ambient sound. Hmm!

Also - good news! The stream has been re-scheduled for this Friday 22nd November, 7pm GMT, and will be in the usual place (twitch.tv/adfielding). I mean, unless I contract ebola or something.

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 22 Nov 2019

Just a little bump to remind folks that this is still going ahead today, 7pm GMT. I'll be archiving it afterwards in some fashion, and hopefully this will be a step toward making these a regular thing again :)

User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1669
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 22 Nov 2019

It has started. Bump :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 22 Nov 2019

Thanks so much to everyone who made it, I'm amazed at the lack of technical issues given the change of OS & set-up! Here's hoping it's not another year until the next stream, would love to jump back into some of the music-making streams as I always love doing those :)

User avatar
selig
Moderator
Posts: 8491
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: The NorthWoods

Post 22 Nov 2019

Sorry I couldn't stay longer (had to run to pick up the dogs from the "spa"!). One day I'll see an entire stream of yours, amazing music as always. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

User avatar
adfielding
Posts: 668
Joined: 19 May 2015

Post 23 Nov 2019

selig wrote:
22 Nov 2019
Sorry I couldn't stay longer (had to run to pick up the dogs from the "spa"!). One day I'll see an entire stream of yours, amazing music as always. :)
No problem, was great to see you there! Cheers for popping along :)

For anyone who missed it, the entire stream has been archived on the Void Chapter YouTube channel, so you can check it out in all of it's rambling glory!


User avatar
Wook
Posts: 286
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 23 Nov 2019

Missed it! Thank you for making it available on Youtube. Always enjoy your streams.
   

botnotbot
Posts: 283
Joined: 26 Oct 2017

Post 24 Nov 2019

Loved this surprise last Friday! Thanks for getting the streams going again Adam.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], rgdaniel and 8 guests