Adam Fielding's Livestream Thread (next stream-date in first post)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
adfielding

06 Mar 2016

illone wrote:Great job, inspired me to get a webcam [c920].

Anyway, if i'm allowed to have an opinion, I found the 1st stream very intriguing. Watching 'nothing' become something is appealing/instructional. Contrarily, being presented with a screen of devices and then trying to walk through the madness is harder to digest.
Thanks! And yeah, I can see where you're coming from... I really enjoyed creating something from nothing and I think following that process makes the entire thing easier to, well, follow! Thinking it might be fun to do another music making session soon, the last one was a blast and it gives me plenty to talk about. I'm definitely thinking of having a primarily "talky" session at some point, as well.

adfielding

07 Mar 2016

I've decided I'll be doing another music making session on Wednesday, so I'll be creating a new song from scratch again. Hopefully it won't totally suck! :)

Wook

07 Mar 2016

adfielding wrote:I've decided I'll be doing another music making session on Wednesday, so I'll be creating a new song from scratch again. Hopefully it won't totally suck! :)
It doesn't matter if it sucks, Adam. I think that most of your viewers want to see your train of thought. Just relax and do your thing.

Jagwah

07 Mar 2016

Finally got a chance to catch the first one of these, just wow, can gather so much information from watching you work - thanks and please keep doing them Adam!

I think I will try some Reason sessions with a cup of tea, unless 'tea' is a code word for beer or some strange cactus drink.

:thumbs_up:

adfielding

08 Mar 2016

Wook wrote:
adfielding wrote:I've decided I'll be doing another music making session on Wednesday, so I'll be creating a new song from scratch again. Hopefully it won't totally suck! :)
It doesn't matter if it sucks, Adam. I think that most of your viewers want to see your train of thought. Just relax and do your thing.
Haha, I guess you're right... still, I'd prefer it if it didn't suck ;)
Jagwah wrote:Finally got a chance to catch the first one of these, just wow, can gather so much information from watching you work - thanks and please keep doing them Adam!
Thanks, glad you liked it! Looking forward to tomorrow's sesh :)

adfielding

09 Mar 2016

Just a cheeky reminder that I'm doing another one of these TONIGHT (9th March), starting at 7pm GMT again - it'll be another music making session, so come along and heckle me and/or watch me create a track from scratch :)

https://www.twitch.tv/adfielding

WongoTheSane

09 Mar 2016

7pm GMT =
7pm London
8pm Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris, Stockholm, Vienna
11pm Moscow
11am PST
1pm CST
2pm EST
4pm Brazil
8am (march 10th) Auckland
6am (march 10th) Canberra
5am (march 10th) Brisbane
3am (march 10th) Perth

adfielding

09 Mar 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:7pm GMT =
7pm London
8pm Amsterdam, Berlin, Copenhagen, Madrid, Paris, Stockholm, Vienna
11pm Moscow
11am PST
1pm CST
2pm EST
4pm Brazil
8am (march 10th) Auckland
6am (march 10th) Canberra
5am (march 10th) Brisbane
3am (march 10th) Perth
Nice one, thanks for that!

adfielding

09 Mar 2016

Thanks so much to everyone who watched! Also, massive thanks to everyone who threw suggestions my way - many many ears are better than two ;)

The video is currently processing over at Youtube, but you can watch the archived video for the next 14 days on Twitch. No glitches this time, though a tiny bit at the start got chopped off - nothing major, just introductions and time signature tweaking.

Cheers :D

Wook

09 Mar 2016

Thanks for the stream. It was the best one yet.

adfielding

09 Mar 2016

Wook wrote:Thanks for the stream. It was the best one yet.
Thanks, I'm really glad you liked it! It's interesting, considering how bummed out I was about the song for parts of the stream I think it actually turned out pretty well (thanks in part to the excellent suggestions in the chat!). It's particularly interesting (to me, at least) to have captured that "this is cool, this is shit, this might work, this is great" thought cycle in video form :)

ReasonUser

09 Mar 2016

Cracking good show today Adam! I really hope you will be able to keep doing these. What fun.

EsotericSound

09 Mar 2016

Another great episode, Adam.

I just finished watching the archive on Youtube. It's interesting how you dropped the guitar in and out at different points. I kept thinking about halfway through the broadcast that the guitar should come out at bar 32 for the remainder of the song. But then you when and faded it again, and then added the Paulstretch guitar on top of that. It worked out well. Kudos as well to the person who suggested that.

For a future broadcast, have you considered walking through some patch design from scratch (something like Jeremy did when he was doing the Reason Wizardry videos)?

Cheers!

adfielding

10 Mar 2016

ReasonUser wrote:Cracking good show today Adam! I really hope you will be able to keep doing these. What fun.
Thanks for checking it out, I really hope I can continue doing these as well!
EsotericSound wrote:For a future broadcast, have you considered walking through some patch design from scratch (something like Jeremy did when he was doing the Reason Wizardry videos)?
Cheers! And yes, I'm thinking about doing something like that in the future - the problem I have with that idea at the moment is that I don't think it'd make for a particularly substantial stream, so I guess I'd want to tie it into something else... maybe using a patch for a particular purpose or getting started on a track. But it's definitely something I want to look at :)

zeebot

10 Mar 2016

Really enjoyed the show again last night. The paulstretch thing worked damn well, that is a tip I will keep in mind :)
Thanks Adam, looking forward to the next one and why isn't microtonic a RE damn it! Always loved that vst back in my cubase days.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

WongoTheSane

10 Mar 2016

adfielding wrote:the problem I have with that idea at the moment is that I don't think it'd make for a particularly substantial stream, so I guess I'd want to tie it into something else...
Having seen you start a song from scratch and bringing it to the "almost finished" stage twice, I would be really interested in seeing you getting one of those songs (or any other really) from the almost finished to the completely finished stage: risers, fillers, mixing, possibly mastering... All those little details which take up as much time as the composition itself. Sound design could be a part of that?

Fantastic show yesterday, unfortunately my connexion went completely awol during the second hour so I'll be watching it again on YT tonight.

adfielding

10 Mar 2016

zeebot wrote:Really enjoyed the show again last night. The paulstretch thing worked damn well, that is a tip I will keep in mind :)
Thanks Adam, looking forward to the next one and why isn't microtonic a RE damn it! Always loved that vst back in my cubase days.
I KNOW RIGHT! For some reason I never thought of using Paulstretch to fill out the end of a track. Smashing idea, whoever came up with that idea needs to step forward and take some damn credit :D

Anyway! Stream's on Youtube now. Here's the song if you fancy listening to it.
https://allihoopa.com/s/uFf2a1Ft

Things I ended up tweaking this morning (took about 5 minutes):
Boosted output via Selig Gain
Notched arp slightly
Adjust filter curve on guitar from bars 17 - 24
Notched Cereu Unador-Top
Adjusted tape speed on Scream4 attached to pianet
Adjusted Stretch channel level & clip levels
Moved fade right one bar
Replaced Tom Drum Combi with audio, added PEQ-2 to boost lows
Cut highs a little more on BSQ REX loop
Added more echo & DR-1 aux send FX to pianet
Sequencer lanes now have proper names (!)

Project file is up here - you'll need Reason 8 to open it, there's Rack Extensions in there so you might not get everything yadda yadda. Also, I bounced Tom's ThorKit stuff to audio because I didn't want to just give away all of his stuff (was my suggestion, not his, fwiw - don't want to make him out to be stingy or anything like that!). He's cool with me sharing the arp though :)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/986 ... nds.reason

Oh yeah, here's the archived Youtube version. The start got cut off, totally my fault - you don't miss much, just introductions and me changing the time signature to 7/8. That's pretty much it.

zeebot

10 Mar 2016

Be interesting if eventually you released an e.p or album containing these songs finished (if you are that into them) and call it 'The Reasontalk Sessions' or something of that ilk? Could also add remix tracks that others had made from the reason file :D
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

adfielding

10 Mar 2016

zeebot wrote:Be interesting if eventually you released an e.p or album containing these songs finished (if you are that into them) and call it 'The Reasontalk Sessions' or something of that ilk? Could also add remix tracks that others had made from the reason file :D
I'm not going to commit to anything just yet, but that's something I've definitely thought about ;)

Andy Hyde

10 Mar 2016

Thanks Adam for the great session last night. Had issues logging into Twitch, but watched as a guest from start to end.

Very inspiring, I had lost a lot of my "mojo" and it was really great seeing someone write a tune and the creative process.

Hopefully that will get me to roll my sleeves up and get writing again :)

4filegate

10 Mar 2016

yesterday, the pleasure happens here and now! Thanks Adam :thumbs_up:

ReasonUser

10 Mar 2016

Anyone ever think that songs you "slap together" in a few hours like this are every bit as good as one you've spent days, weeks or even months on? I've had it happen to me and wondered why I don't pressure myself to finish a song within a very short timeframe like this. Quite inspirational Adam.

MarkTarlton

10 Mar 2016

ReasonUser wrote:Anyone ever think that songs you "slap together" in a few hours like this are every bit as good as one you've spent days, weeks or even months on? I've had it happen to me and wondered why I don't pressure myself to finish a song within a very short timeframe like this. Quite inspirational Adam.
I have experienced both sides, but my absolute favorite tracks just sort of come out of the thin air immediately writing itself in realtime...those are my favorite ideas because they are the essence of the idea without being overworked or thought about. to me it's all about the emotion that I am trying to capture. I also enjoy working on tunes for a while to make them as good as I can but I sometimes have a way of screwing things up if I don't get out of there to quick :)

EsotericSound

10 Mar 2016

adfielding wrote: maybe using a patch for a particular purpose or getting started on a track. But it's definitely something I want to look at :)
That was going to be my next suggestion. :) Maybe spend some time creating a few core sounds, and then build a track with only those sounds.

adfielding

14 Mar 2016

EsotericSound wrote:
adfielding wrote: maybe using a patch for a particular purpose or getting started on a track. But it's definitely something I want to look at :)
That was going to be my next suggestion. :) Maybe spend some time creating a few core sounds, and then build a track with only those sounds.
Yep, that's a great idea. I'm going to be doing something a little more relaxed this week, a sort of free-form Q&A type thing - totally open to questions, if there's anything anyone would like me to answer during the stream then let me know!

Also thanks guys for the kind words! As for the nature of quick ideas... something I've really gotten into over the past couple of years in particular is working on more spontaneous ideas. The length of time spent on an idea isn't necessarily a strong indicator of the overall quality of a track, and sometimes the quick ideas have that "spark" that you might not get from over-cooking a less solid idea. It's why I love my annual routine of writing a load of sketches in October - and, I guess, these quick ideas, now! :)

• Information