How to apply LFO to an audio track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ravisoni

19 Feb 2016

Without having to route audio through Thor, is there a way to apply LFO (aiming for the vibrato effect) using some other reason devices? I have littleLFO and Pulsar, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use those directly in an audio channel. The other option that comes to mind is loading the audio track in NNXT sampler, but I was wondering if there's something simpler, something that I could apply directly to the audio mix channel. On the Pulsar, I only see CV outs, and I'm assuming the audio outs are for using it as a synth of sorts since there's no audio in.

If anybody's used other DAWs, say cubase, something analogous to what I'm aiming for would be taking an effect and applying it to a given portion of a clip (as in destructive audio editing).
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

tmask

19 Feb 2016

If it's a monophonic track, you could add a Neptune to it and turn off pitch adjust. Automate the mod wheel for a more humanized vibrato, or connect an LFO the vibrato cv connection on the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ravisoni

19 Feb 2016

tmask wrote:If it's a monophonic track, you could add a Neptune to it and turn off pitch adjust. Automate the mod wheel for a more humanized vibrato, or connect an LFO the vibrato cv connection on the back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey, thanks for the reply! I tried the neptune as well, but even with pitch adjust/transform/formant turned off, I hear some distortion (or perhaps phased sounds). Am I supposed to adjust some other parameters?

Olivier

19 Feb 2016

I've never been able to get satisfying results with Neptune for same reason, weird distorted artifacts. I think your best options are probably with either The Polar or Echobode RE. Other than Neptune, stock reason doesn't have what you need.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Noplan
Competition Winner

19 Feb 2016

It is far away from that what you want to achieve, but you can also use the vocoder and route it to an instrument for some robotic voices and apply LFO.

Vince-Noir-99

19 Feb 2016

Perhaps a chorus/flanger will achieve just that (vibrato). Or a delay with an LFO changing the delay time. Shouldn't create artefacts like Neptune does.

By the way, I'm not missing destructive FX printing on audio clips as a feature, but it'd surely be nice to have per-clip audio pitch automation available!

Stranger.

19 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 05 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

pushedbutton

19 Feb 2016

Here, use this...
... as an effect on your audio chain. Change the Rate with Rotary 1, the Curve shape with Rotary 2 and turn it on and off with button 1.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

pushedbutton

19 Feb 2016

Or you might prefer this version...
... if you're so inclined.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

selig
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

If you want a simple effect, you can patch an LFO like Pulsar to the audio level CV control of any mixer channel and have instant tremolo - it's not vibrato but it's similar, and quick/easy as well!

As for "per-clip" effects, the simplest/coolest approach IMO would be to simply drag any clip on to any FX/Combi and have the effect instantly applied. Audition and fine tune the FX by adding the effect to the channel in question, then drag your clip to that FX - delete when done! This would be an even simpler approach to what other DAWs currently offer (that I'm familiar with). :)

This could also work for track "Freezing" by drawing a long empty clip in an audio file, then dragging it onto a synth/Combi. Dragging a clip onto a mixer channel would "freeze" the entire channel. Interesting…
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

19 Feb 2016

Now this^ is interesting.. how exactly are you dragging audio from sequencer> to the rack! :P I take it you mean- ' >to channel//track lanes'?

selig
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

Stranger. wrote:
selig wrote: As for "per-clip" effects, the simplest/coolest approach IMO would be to simply drag any clip on to any FX/Combi and have the effect instantly applied.
Now this^ is interesting.. how exactly are you dragging audio from sequencer> to the rack! :P I take it you mean- ' >to channel//track lanes'?
By showing the rack and the sequencer at the same time you could easily drag between them. Maybe a modifier key would be needed to indicate you wanted to create a new audio clip. You could also use the same approach to drag an audio clip over a MIDI clip (both in the sequencer in this case) to effectively render the note clip to an audio clip - endless possibilities, and all without adding any new UI buttons or even menu items. Clean and simple (and versatile), just the way I like it! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Stranger.

19 Feb 2016

O,my mistake,i thought you was saying you could -'at this moment'..
Combi attached-look at simple programming,back of rack dials/ratios = very simplez,can be expanded. :thumbs_up:
It depends on where/how you load patch of course!

selig
RE Developer

19 Feb 2016

Stranger. wrote:
selig wrote:
Stranger. wrote:By showing the rack and the sequencer at the same time you could easily drag between them.
O,my mistake,i thought you was saying you could -'at this moment'..
Combi attached-look at simple programming,back of rack dials/ratios = very simplez,can be expanded. :thumbs_up:
It depends on where/how you load patch of course!

It was "wishful thinking" on my part, that's all!!! ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

ravisoni

21 Feb 2016

Thanks for the replies, guys! Bummer, but I'll make do with the options available!

thedjjudah

18 Mar 2024

Something you can try is to use the free kilo hearts pitch shifter VST and plug an LFO into the pitch jack.

• Information