Parsec glitch

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
RealmUK

18 Feb 2016

I've noticed that when I open up an in-progress song file that contains instances of Parsec, when the song plays for the first time, the Parsec sounds will glitch when they are first triggered. Upon subsequent plays, no glitch occurs. This happens on my Macbook and my WIndows 7 PC so appears to be platform independent.

Is this common knowledge or a known 'feature' of additive softsynths? Anybody else see this issue?

jengstrom
Reason Studios

19 Feb 2016

Are you using the latest version of Reason?
There was a bug in some versions of Reason that affected Parsec more than most other devices.
It was solved in version 8.3.2.
If it's not that, does this happen also if you wait something like 20 seconds after opening the file, to let all the data load in all devices?

RealmUK

19 Feb 2016

Thanks jengstrom ... yes, I am using 8.3.2. I will try out your suggestion to wait after opening the file to see if that helps.

EnochLight

20 Feb 2016

RealmUK wrote:Thanks jengstrom ... yes, I am using 8.3.2. I will try out your suggestion to wait after opening the file to see if that helps.
Any luck?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

RealmUK

20 Feb 2016

I have just tested this theory on my Win7 machine and it seems to be correct ... I have a track I'm working on at the moment that is particularly Parsec heavy - if I hit play the moment it opens, I get the glitches. If I wait a few seconds (I counted to ten) then it plays fine straight off the bat. I have yet to test this on my Macbook but I suspect the result will be the same.

@jengstrom - it would appear your suggestion is on the money. However, if it is a time thing that's needed to allow all the song data to load into memory, I'm still a little unsure why I get the glitch on Parsec channels that begin further into the track (>1 minute in, for example). Surely all the song data would have loaded by this time?!

Stranger.

20 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 05 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

RealmUK

26 Feb 2016

@Stranger - You may be onto something actually. Opened my track this evening but then didn't press play for quite some time as I was interrupted by my wife who wanted to talk about something. The song was open for 10-15 minutes before I hit the play button and the glitch occurred when the first note-on signal was sent to any Parsec instrument.

No other instruments behave like this ... only Parsec.

jengstrom
Reason Studios

01 Mar 2016

Juding by the OPs report, it seems to be intermittent.

There is some conflicting information / FUD here that would be nice to clear.

I would call this report "Intermittent glitch/click/pop when the first note is triggered in a Parsec-device, in a Reason-session."

Has it ever occurred twice in a session (i.e. without restarting Reason)?
If yes, was that after not using Reason for a while, as some posts suggest?

RealmUK

02 Mar 2016

@jengstrom - These are all good questions which I don't have answers to at the moment :) ... When I get a chance I will put your suggestions to test.

I'm still keen to know whether anybody else has also seen this behaviour ... at the moment it's looking like it's only me which is curious.

• Information