Refill/RE beta testing and developer forum

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
Kenni
Site Admin

16 Feb 2016

Hi guys,

I present to you the next step in making ReasonTalk the #1 place for Reason users, Refill creators and Rack Extension developers alike!

Why?

It's no secret that developers often miss all the tiny details in their product. As a developer, you're blinded from staring at the same details and algorithms over and over again. That's why it's a normal practice to have a group of selected beta testers. These beta testers get early access to the product while it's being built, reaping the benefits of the product while it's still under development and ultimately, helping the developer making the finished product as complete and bug free as possible.

So why? Because ReasonTalk has a large collection of Reason users and therefore potential beta testers. All you have to do is pick 'em!

Developer: After registering

As a registered developer, you will be added to the "Developer" user group on ReasonTalk. Furthermore, you will be the group leader of the beta testing group dedicated to your sub forum. If we use Selig Audio as an example, we will do the following:
  1. Add your forum user to the "Developer" user group
  2. Create a sub forum called "Selig Audio"
  3. Create a group called "Selig Audio Beta testers", and add the developer profile as the group leader and give that group standard read/write permissions to the sub forum in question
There's basically two ways future beta testers can be added to the "Selig Audio Beta testers" group. The group can either be a "Request" group, which means that you as a developer have to accept requests to join. The other option is to make it invite only.

The administration of your beta tester group is done via the UCP (User control panel) under "Usergroups". You will find this area by clicking the profile icon in the forum menu, and navigate to User Control panel. Or, bookmark the direct link: http://reasontalk.com/ucp.php

Developer: Registering

If you want to register for a developer profile, send me (Kenni) a private message. If applicable, please include a reference to previous products, or a sample of some sort. Refer to the following template:

Company/supplier name: Example Audio Ltd.
This will be the name of your developer sub forum and the user group for the beta testers
Product reference, if applicable:
Beta tester registration method: Request to join, or invite only
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

DLDTech

18 Feb 2016

I'm not sure this is a problem that needs to be solved..

I'm sure most devs have their own way of working - either a private facebook group, wiki or something more like bugzilla.

What would be really useful is if we can have a forum where only devs can start a new subject (which would normally be the name of the refill / RE). This can then become a discussion / support thread for that product that's easy to find (rather than the current 'xxx is in the shop' threads)
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

selig
RE Developer

18 Feb 2016

DLDTech wrote:I'm not sure this is a problem that needs to be solved..

I'm sure most devs have their own way of working - either a private facebook group, wiki or something more like bugzilla.

What would be really useful is if we can have a forum where only devs can start a new subject (which would normally be the name of the refill / RE). This can then become a discussion / support thread for that product that's easy to find (rather than the current 'xxx is in the shop' threads)
This is something I plan on using - tried a Facebook group last time around and only half of my testers participated. Had used a private forum in the past, but not all had access (long story). This IS a solution for me but maybe because I'm already a mod here and already spend time here (and most of my testers are here as well!).

Still, I also like the ideas you are presenting above…
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

ScuzzyEye

18 Feb 2016

I'm going to use it too.

I would never require my testers to have a FB account. I had thought about setting up my own tracking system, or use a commercial one (there are free ones, but either limit the number of testers, or require the project to be open source). That would either cost me time or money. Having a section on ReasonTalk makes it an easy solution for me.

joeyluck

18 Feb 2016

DLDTech wrote:I'm not sure this is a problem that needs to be solved..

As a beta tester, I had requested it. For the reasons outlined; including the fact that most folks who beta test REs are here and already registered with ReasonTalk. The other reason being that many developers attempt to coordinate beta testing via email (which is incredibly inefficient for both the developer and tester). While Facebook is better than via email, things seem to get lost and off-track quickly in Facebook groups from my experience. And again, not everyone is on Facebook and most involved folks who beta test are here. When people are logged in here specifically, they are tuned into everything Reason. It seems to make sense.

I'm sure developers who already have comfortable, organized homes for beta testing elsewhere will continue to use those. And I don't think this seeks to pull developers away from those. But it's a convenient resource that I feel many developers need. And it will potentially get us more users here. And in the future whenever there's a Reason 9 beta... Maybe it will be public like the Reason 8 beta was? Or maybe it will be private... And if so, ReasonTalk could potentially help host it, now that it is setup for such a thing.

DLDTech

18 Feb 2016

Ok, I stand corrected! I always found that Facebook worked well enough, even if there's the odd tester that I have to rely on email.. The problem with the forum is that unless everyone has email notifications enabled, it requires people constantly check for new updates etc.

If there's some way for the Dev to broadcast to all testers then I guess that'll work.
Megasaur Supersaw synth now released Follow @DLDTechnology for new stuff!

joeyluck

18 Feb 2016

DLDTech wrote:Ok, I stand corrected! I always found that Facebook worked well enough, even if there's the odd tester that I have to rely on email.. The problem with the forum is that unless everyone has email notifications enabled, it requires people constantly check for new updates etc.

If there's some way for the Dev to broadcast to all testers then I guess that'll work.
Users can still subscribe I would assume.

But either way, the folks who are actually there to test for you vs. just get a chance to try a plugin early are going to be present and tuned in and won't miss much. With Facebook, I turn off notifications. I do that there because most people are starting new comments, which become bumped threads just with their general opinions, "This is gonna be sick on my tracks!" Lol. Just my experience.

Facebook Groups do have a search option, but I feel that it is harder to navigate comments/'threads' the way it loads and because most users overlook the search option. And because many comments in the thread get hidden and moderately longer/thoughtful comments get truncated and many people miss points because they don't click or even see "show more." Again, just my experience. If it works for you, then don't fix what ain't broke :)

Kenni
Site Admin

18 Feb 2016

The advantage as I see it by having a sub forum dedicated for beta testing here, is that everybody here use the same software, which leaves ~2200 potential beta testers, all with a common interest: Having software and plugins that just works.

Developers do tend to have a some sort of issue tracking on the side though. In fact, I wouldn't mind setting up an issue tracker for the developers to use on their projects.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

ahs

18 Feb 2016

don't use FB TW or else. This forum is the best way !

tiker01

21 Feb 2016

I have only one question. How and where do I state the i am happy to test Re-s and perhaps let Developers know to whom I have tested for in the past. Perhaps a pool of users willing to test would be nice although it can be advertised here and other places too.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

joeyluck

21 Feb 2016

tiker01 wrote:I have only one question. How and where do I state the i am happy to test Re-s and perhaps let Developers know to whom I have tested for in the past. Perhaps a pool of users willing to test would be nice although it can be advertised here and other places too.
Not a bad idea. RE developers though will more than likely post a thread here that they are looking for beta testers (just as Lectric Panda did recently). And since beta forums are hosted here, I'd say that's even more probable to happen if they use this forum.

Kenni
Site Admin

26 Feb 2016

tiker01 wrote:I have only one question. How and where do I state the i am happy to test Re-s and perhaps let Developers know to whom I have tested for in the past. Perhaps a pool of users willing to test would be nice although it can be advertised here and other places too.
Actually, the developers can choose between "Invite Only" or "Per request" beta testing.

That means, as a forum user, you can go to the "Usergroups" part of your User Control Panel.

For those developers who take in beta testers "Per request", you can check the radio button next to their beta tester group, and press "Submit". When the developer approves of your request, you're able to view the dedicated forum for this. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

colcifer

10 Mar 2016

Kenni wrote:Hi guys,

I present to you the next step in making ReasonTalk the #1 place for Reason users, Refill creators and Rack Extension developers alike!
I'm a few versions behind, so I can't test new REs, but I imagine I'm not the only PUF regular who didn't become an RT regular. Out of curiosity, have you done a census?

Kenni
Site Admin

10 Mar 2016

colcifer wrote:
Kenni wrote:Hi guys,

I'm a few versions behind, so I can't test new REs, but I imagine I'm not the only PUF regular who didn't become an RT regular. Out of curiosity, have you done a census?
No, I haven't :)

I didn't say reasontalk.com was the number 1 place either, but merely presented a feature taking a step in the direction of making it the best place for users and developers to get closer.

Beta testing is an essential part of releasing stable extensions. :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

colcifer

10 Mar 2016

Oh - I agree that it's a good idea.

ltbrunt00

02 May 2017

Just throwing this out there but for some products people would probably pay to be a Alpha/Beta tester. I happens in the gaming industry which helps the developer get money to complete the product or add features given the injection of more money.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

fanatek
RE Developer

02 May 2017

Is this still up to date ? I sent a message to kenni but still no answer :cry:
I need some few beta testers for my two first rack extensions PEM and SEM.
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

fanatek wrote:Is this still up to date ? I sent a message to kenni but still no answer :cry:
Why not make a formal offer in a thread?

I commonly work on Betas, primarily as a Sound Designer but commonly find a bug or two and make suggestions. If SEM means what I think it does then I would be delighted to be on-board.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Kenni
Site Admin

02 May 2017

fanatek wrote:Is this still up to date ? I sent a message to kenni but still no answer :cry:
Hi fanatek,

I got the message, we've just been busy the last couple of days.

I'll set it up tomorrow!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

fanatek
RE Developer

03 May 2017

Benedict, I think you are going to be a little disappointed, SEM does not mean Synthesizer Expander Module but Serial Effects Mixer (and PEM Parallel Effects Mixer), these are two utilities.

Kenni, thank you, I can wait ;)
http://www.bcase.fr - Orleans FR - Ableton Live 11 Suite, Reason 11 Suite, Nektar P4

Last Alternative

13 May 2017

How's it going testing on Sierra? Is there a fix in 9.5 for all the high CPU, DSP, graphics, audio and save issues? I'm losing patience.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.1 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

tiker01

13 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:How's it going testing on Sierra? Is there a fix in 9.5 for all the high CPU, DSP, graphics, audio and save issues? I'm losing patience.
I am not sure what are you talking about. Could you elaborate on it?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Kenni
Site Admin

13 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:How's it going testing on Sierra? Is there a fix in 9.5 for all the high CPU, DSP, graphics, audio and save issues? I'm losing patience.
You must be referring to reason itself. Wrong topic :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Last Alternative

13 May 2017

I'm wondering if the bug was fixed in 9.5. Mac using beta testers would know so I asked here. PH won't give me a straight answer.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.1 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Kenni
Site Admin

13 May 2017

Last Alternative wrote:I'm wondering if the bug was fixed in 9.5. Mac using beta testers would know so I asked here. PH won't give me a straight answer.
First of all, it's really hard to test if performance issues has been fixed, in a beta build that is expected to perform bad by default.

Secondly, and we're really trying to stress this, the beta runtime stuff must not be discussed in public.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information