How do you arrange your rack?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
motuscott

21 Feb 2016

alphabetically, left to right:
atonal jazz noodling
braindead bassist thought I was asking for a solo
cowbell, more
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Vince-Noir-99

21 Feb 2016

motuscott wrote:alphabetically, left to right:
atonal jazz noodling
braindead bassist thought I was asking for a solo
cowbell, more
Braindead bassists are awesome :puf_bigsmile:

selig
RE Developer

21 Feb 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:It's also really convenient to have FX already inside the programmer for CV manipulation. I often end up dragging the instrument in there as well
Nice! I didn't know you could!
Yeah it's very handy. It's basically a combinator, but with internal rotaries & buttons rather than external. Suits me fine, since I almost never use the rotaries & buttons, just the programmer
The rotaries and buttons are also "external" in the Main Mixer, in the insert section for all channel and master inserts. You can drag any Combinator into the insert, or browse from the Main Mixer. You can even drag multiple Combinators into an insert, but you will loose the programming of all after the first.

If dragging instruments into inserts, remember to set the insert to be "pre EQ/Dynamics" if you want to use those sections on the instruments, other wise you won't hear their effect!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

dvdrtldg

23 Feb 2016

^^^ Not sure if I'm reading you correctly, but I just created a synth, dragged it into the Insert FX box, and then tweaked the comp & EQ on the mix channel with the signal path at default setting (i.e. DYN>EQ>INSERT). I could still hear their effect - is that what you're saying shouldn't happen?

gak

24 Feb 2016

Spryx wrote:Today I learned: .... Everyone in the world is more organized than I am :P
haha! Don't feel bad, you are NOT alone!

adfielding

24 Feb 2016

Spryx wrote:Today I learned: .... Everyone in the world is more organized than I am :P
Haha, I wouldn't count on that ;)

I try to aim for mastering/output chain on the left, aux sends in the middle, and organise everything else to the right of that... but what really happens is two columns of random mess, some of which will be labelled but most of which will be a selection of devices with descriptive names like "Filter 1", "EQ 9", and so on.

MSD

24 Feb 2016

If I use a template then everything is all nice and neat from the get go and I usually have a rack for the sends, a rack for the drums, a rack for the bass, a rack for the guitars and a rack for...... etc.

If I don't use a template, and I often don't, then for a time there will be utter chaos. I work very quickly in the early creation stages and I'm throwing things in there at a rapid pace. Once I come up for air for the first time I usually do some quick organising. I don't always go the same route as in my templates, I'll quite often have a few instrument types in a single rack, but I will use remark to separate them. I'm most concerned about having an organised Mixer section, I can cope with an untidy sequencer and rack, but a scrappy Mixer really makes it difficult later on.
--
Noisemaker...

Benedict
Competition Winner

24 Feb 2016

My Rack is on a second screen on the left of my Sequencer/Mixer screen.

Rack 1: Under the Master section I have any Sends

Rack 2: Right of that I pop Drums and Bass (and any Rhythm Bus)

Rack 3: Next, melodic synths and arpeggios, generally in the order they are added. Sometimes I rearrange to keep the more more important lines up top/together.

Rack 4: Finally Sound Effects

When I take other people's files it can take a lot of time to work out the jumble of sources and CV cables. Like Selig says, consistency is the key as it makes sense not to have to reinvent the wheel every track.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

• Information