How do you arrange your rack?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Vince-Noir-99

15 Feb 2016

Hello! :)
It's nice that when selecting a track in the sequencer, the Rack will focus to the connected device, so I guess in the end it doesn't matter much in which fashion all the tracks, instruments and FX are laid out, unless for patching clarity in the back.. But I wonder to know if someone is following any particular arrangement order?
Vertical, horizontal, to the left or right of the Master Section... ?

normen

15 Feb 2016

I usually put each mixer channel in a column with the devices on that channel below it. Master section column stays free for global/send devices. But given all the routing options and ways to have separate tracks for single devices etc. this sometimes gets messed up a bit.

raymondh

15 Feb 2016

I try to have a column for master fx, and separate columns for bass, verse synths, chorus synths, vocals, fx. And a re-mark at the top of each column to label. It is a bit arbitrary but it provides a level of organisation.

Vince-Noir-99

15 Feb 2016

Most times I'm doing just as you guys, and try to follow the same mixer channels order (kick, snare,,, bass, synth, vocals...). It comes natural, but seeing a few screenshots or videos around, I got tempted to mess everything up, or stack everything vertically. Don't know why! :D

hadmyrackextended

16 Feb 2016

I usually bus the channels at the end of each bunch. So my busses are at the end of the drum single channels and then coloured to signify a bus channel; like bright pink or something.

So ill setup my drums as you typically would; kick, snare, hats & percussion on single channels
(Kick Snare bus) (Hats & Percussion bus) (Overall Drums bus)

I may use the kick snare bus as a sidechain and cut into the Hats and Percussion bus ever so slightly to give the beat a pulse and keep the kick snare dominant. Also this setup means later on when I want to sidechain into something else to keep the kick and snare at the front, I have the channel ready and waiting.

challism

16 Feb 2016

I try to do as you guys, with each channel in its own column, but I find that I often run out of patch cables. Or that my cables aren't long enough to reach the mixer. ;(
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

The_G

16 Feb 2016

I do drums on the left, synths on the right.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

joeyluck

16 Feb 2016

I do nothing until I am ready to work further on a project. Until then, things are typically in one rack.
Then, I'll organize things into sections, with one rack going to drums/all percussion etc.

dvdrtldg

17 Feb 2016

Pretty haphazard, but one thing I always do is put all my insert FX (apart from combis of course) up in the Insert FX box, i.e. just below the Bypass button instead of under the instrument. Makes things a lot tidier if I can hide them away/display them as needed.

Vince-Noir-99

18 Feb 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Pretty haphazard, but one thing I always do is put all my insert FX (apart from combis of course) up in the Insert FX box, i.e. just below the Bypass button instead of under the instrument. Makes things a lot tidier if I can hide them away/display them as needed.
I've recently started taking that habit. In the beginning I liked the signal flow going top to bottom, but it's also nice to keep the focus on the sound generator, and have the FX separately and easily hide-able. It's a bit frustrating that Combis don't fit in there though.. It could be made possible, whilst preventing from nesting Combis inside other Combis and make endless matryoshkas :puf_bigsmile:

dvdrtldg

18 Feb 2016

It's also really convenient to have FX already inside the programmer for CV manipulation. I often end up dragging the instrument in there as well

Vince-Noir-99

19 Feb 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:It's also really convenient to have FX already inside the programmer for CV manipulation. I often end up dragging the instrument in there as well
Nice! I didn't know you could!

Vince-Noir-99

20 Feb 2016

Chizmata wrote:Master and mix channels and send FX on the left, combinators on the right.
Do you mean the combis are connected to the mix channels on the left?
Interesting. I think it makes sense because everything on the left is the traditional recording studio, and on the right you have the 'music' stuff. (If I got you right.)

Chizmata

20 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
Chizmata wrote:Master and mix channels and send FX on the left, combinators on the right.
Do you mean the combis are connected to the mix channels on the left?
Interesting. I think it makes sense because everything on the left is the traditional recording studio, and on the right you have the 'music' stuff. (If I got you right.)
yes thats exatly how i do it. So i can access mixer channels quickly instead of scrolling through massive combinators to find them. it also gives you a better overview when you sidechain between mixer channels. i dont have too many tracks most of the time so the rack doesnt go too deep down, thats why it works for me.

submonsterz

20 Feb 2016

I let chaos run its course
works for me .

Aquila

20 Feb 2016

The_G wrote:I do drums on the left, synths on the right.
That's pretty much how I do things too. Any rhythm stuff, and occasionally basses too, go on the left rack. Leads and whatnot on the next rack over. If I have vocals or other musical stems I'll put them in a third rack.

Spryx

20 Feb 2016

It sounds horrible, but I put everything in the single rack. Sometimes, if it is too crowded, I separate instrument into two racks: one for melodic instruments, and one for drums and effects.
latest:

Dave909

20 Feb 2016

I keep send fx in the master collumn and then all the drum stuff in the second. Synth stuff in the third. Sometimes i like to add ReMarks in there labelling stuff but thats mostly with collabs :)

Spryx

20 Feb 2016

Today I learned: .... Everyone in the world is more organized than I am :P
latest:

selig
RE Developer

20 Feb 2016

I put FX and Mastering to the left of the Hardware Interface, drums/bass under the Master Section, Synths/Keys next, then Guitars if any, finally vocals. Use ReMark on larger songs and collabs as dave909 mentions.

This basic left to right drums/percussion/bass/keys/guitars/vocals comes from years of multi-track habits. Makes it easy to move around the project for me, being familiar and all. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Dante

20 Feb 2016

Dual Screen, Left Hand screen - two racks (with send FX at top left in combinator), then sequencer below the racks. Right Hand Screen - dedicated to the SSL.

pushedbutton

20 Feb 2016

I start by putting each category of instrument in its own rack...then i get into creating and all plans to stay organised go out of the window.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

dvdrtldg

21 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
dvdrtldg wrote:It's also really convenient to have FX already inside the programmer for CV manipulation. I often end up dragging the instrument in there as well
Nice! I didn't know you could!
Yeah it's very handy. It's basically a combinator, but with internal rotaries & buttons rather than external. Suits me fine, since I almost never use the rotaries & buttons, just the programmer

Wook

21 Feb 2016

selig wrote:I put FX and Mastering to the left of the Hardware Interface
Whaaat? It never occured to me to try dragging stuff to the left of the master section. :D

• Information