Workflow for limited CPU power?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
svenh

10 Feb 2016

I miss the functionality in Reason to freeze tracks to free up CPU power.

My projects almost always grow too big (too many tracks, too much automation, too many CPU hungry effects etc) for my CPU to handle, unless I mixdown/print a couple of tracks to pure audio files. My current problem is that I miss an efficient workflow for the process.

When printing a track and then deleting the underlying CPU-heavy REs that was used for generating the sound, I want to keep the original setup in some way to be able to go back and change something in case the need arises. To copy a backup of the entire Reason project file seems too crude, storing too much data and making it messy to find the right version if a song calls for doing this multiple times. One idea I have is to for each track that gets printed:
1) Organise all the REs responsible for generating the sound into a combinator.
2) Create a folder (under the project folder) used only for this print, give it a suitable name, and save the combinator patch in the folder.
3) Export the MIDI and automation tracks (can you export automation tracks?) into the same folder.
4) Print to a new audio track and then delete the combinator and its associated old tracks.

Is this a good idea? Do you have a better solution?

Grateful for suggestions,
Sven

Kategra

10 Feb 2016

I always end up with 10 to 25 versions of the same project unfortunately. It takes a lot of HDD space, but it works.

Also, I've started printing my drum arrangements trough DIY outboard gear for distortion and I need to take a picture with the knob and switch positions in case I want to use those exact "settings" again. Most of the time I take the pictures, but I rarely remember to transfer it from my phone into the project folder and name it as the track that used that setting, it's a pain in the ass to do it..

Anyway I'm the type of guy that works on 7-8 songs per year and finishing only one or two. I imagine that for people working on lots of projects every month from start to finish (production + mixing) will not find my workflow viable, outboard gear or not.

svenh

10 Feb 2016

I guess your way is an option too. At least it is fast enough when doing the print. My fear is that it can get messy when recovering an old version and trying to merge it with the latest version...

Thanks for your reply Kategra - I would love to get others suggestions too on how to handle this problem!

jappe

10 Feb 2016

Hi Sven,
most likely you know this tip already but it doesn't hurt to be Captain Obvious every now and then:

Never have more than one Reason project open at the same time, since idle projects are still consuming a significant amount of resources.

svenh

10 Feb 2016

Yes, I know, I don't even run other programs than (one instance of) Reason on my computer when making music, but thanks for trying to help! :-)

Stranger.

10 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 06 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

submonsterz

10 Feb 2016

Stranger. wrote:
svenh wrote:I miss the functionality in Reason to freeze tracks to free up CPU power.
Do you have a better solution?
Grateful for suggestions,
Sven
My suggestion is use a rewired set-up with freeze function.
Simplez.
It's not so bad,actually a beautiful flow for me.
I just make :re:ason a touch smaller on screen,and switch/\flick between Reaper/ :re:ason,sometimes using 'window stays on top' function in :re:ason.
This gives me all the benefits of both programmes,which are many. :thumbs_up:
Im still amazed at what you get running and work with on a single core machine !!

Stranger.

11 Feb 2016

ΣΣΣ

• Information