ALLIHOOPA Trademarked by Props

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

So seeing as it is NAMM 2016 rumour season, Thought we could have a "what do you think Props will do in 2016" rumours thread.

Props have trademarked the name Allihoopa. Props tend to do this with releases like balance, record and of course reason. Maybe this signifies something big.

Allihopa in swedish language means together or combined. Make of that what you will. I think I am going to imagine some iPad combined options for reason perhaps.

Or perhaps a new sampler that combines and allows all the file formats to work in reason.

But I leave it to the forum to wildly speculate
Last edited by noelcampbelljnr on 10 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

joeyluck

10 Jan 2016

I remember the 'Re' trademark speculation thread. Folks found the logo and read it as 'Re Rack Extension.' Thus becoming the misnomer 'ReRack' haha. That stuck with some people some time even after the big announcement.

Olivier

10 Jan 2016

Nice catch.. that should keep us busy till V9 at least :P
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

stevan

10 Jan 2016

I guess it's the same thing as Link from Ableton ... can you post where you find it ?

... and I think the translation is not so correct, allihopa means more “everybody“ like in “thanks everybody“ = “tack allihopa“ or maybe “all together“, but whatever :-)
Last edited by stevan on 10 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

stevan wrote:I guess it's the same thing as Link from Ableton ... can you post where you find it ?
Sure....its not that exciting. Im a law student about to take my final bar exams and got bored with study so started to search for Propellerhead Software Registered TradeMarks and found on a data base they had trademarked the name Allihoopa in October 2015

stevan

10 Jan 2016

Yupp, but anyway ... it's always nice getting some future speculation about Propellerheads ... I like that :-)

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

stevan wrote:I guess it's the same thing as Link from Ableton ... can you post where you find it ?

... and I think the translation is not so correct, allihopa means more “everybody“ like in “thanks everybody“ = “tack allihopa“ or maybe “all together“, but whatever :-)
I bow to your superior knowledge of Swedish. I am Irish and I speak English. Combined and together are close enough for me :)

stevan

10 Jan 2016

Hahaha ... yes sorry, I'm german ... that explain everything , me think ... all fine and thanx for the nice catch again :-)

... and btw. I love Ireland , what a nice Country and so friendly people , always good coming back ... mmmh and the lovely taste of a pint guinness ... :-)

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

So what does everybody think? Allihoopa. What sort of a product do yogis think it will be or what direction do you feel Props will take?

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

stevan wrote:Hahaha ... yes sorry, I'm german ... that explain everything , me think ... all fine and thanx for the nice catch again :-)

... and btw. I love Ireland , what a nice Country and so friendly people , always good coming back ... mmmh and the lovely taste of a pint guinness ... :-)
I like Germany too. My family lived in Koln for about 10 years. Great country get music. Kraftwerk and Neu.

stevan

10 Jan 2016

Japp, Kraftwerk is THE german kult-band and it's unbelivable how many musicians were inspired from their music ... but Ireland has so many fantastic musicans too ... where should I start, U2, Enya, Gary Moore, Turlough O’Carolan ... etc.. ooops, now we're totally off topic ...

joeyluck

10 Jan 2016

My guess is it is related to Discover. Maybe an app or service that facilitates more the collaboration process (more in depth)? Maybe it's all of Discover in app form (like a Facebook app vs. Facebook website)? Maybe a renaming/rebranding? Maybe it's the licensing version of Propellerhead Discover where you can sell your music/services? Maybe it's a collaboration bridge between DAWs? Maybe all of these things? Or none of them!

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

I have done more research on the trademark. when you register a trademark it requires classifications.

I believe Props are trying to create a single place for reason users to come that will force them into discover realm but will also offer tutorials on production and potential release avenues.

here are the classifications they used for allihoopa

009. Music-composition software; computer software for processing digital music; computer software for creating and editing music and sounds; computer software featuring musical sound recordings; application software for mobile phones; downloadable application software for mobile phone; application programming interfaces (apis); music recordings; downloadable music files

015. Musical instruments with functions for recording and reproduction of sound or images, and for creating music

038. Transmission and distribution of sound and music over the internet; delivery of digital music through telecommunication; providing access to digital music websites on the internet; distribution of computer software and application software for mobile phones; webpages in the field of social networking; webpages with forums (chat rooms) for social networking; providing online forum; telecommunication services, namely, providing access to webpages containing computer software for creating and editing of music, including musical sound recordings

041. Providing information in the field of music; music production services; consultancy on music production; production of sound and music recordings; providing digital music (not downloadable) on the internet; providing information, commentary and articles in the field of music via webpages

042. Services related to software development, programming and implementation; designing managing and monitoring online forums; designing and developing webpages; online social networking services; providing webpages and online forums; software services and application programming interfaces (apis) for connecting software

pushedbutton

10 Jan 2016

https://trademarks.justia.com/868/00/al ... 00377.html

From reading through this I'd guess it was some sort of on-line collaboration/social networking tool.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2016

Well my post seems to have been *removed, so I must have hit a nerve.

Before this post gets removed please note that I suggested it could have been either a Combinator 2 or a social network that brings musicians together. It's got to be at least one of those :p

*: either that or I forgot to submit ;)

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

If it is the social networking discovery type affair. I am a bit perplexed as I wasn't entirely sure discover caught on. It seemed ill conceived from the point of view that the artists didn't legally own their work etc...

I hope Props are not just throwing all their eggs in this basket. a number of companies have tried similar things and it has not quite caught on.

With Reason 8 such a weak release i was hoping focus would be put on the flagship reason rather than online social media esq collaboration

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:Some sites list it as a company
Interesting are Props moving away from software creation to something different now

joeyluck

10 Jan 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:If it is the social networking discovery type affair. I am a bit perplexed as I wasn't entirely sure discover caught on. It seemed ill conceived from the point of view that the artists didn't legally own their work etc...

I hope Props are not just throwing all their eggs in this basket. a number of companies have tried similar things and it has not quite caught on.

With Reason 8 such a weak release i was hoping focus would be put on the flagship reason rather than online social media esq collaboration
Discover is blowing up. Are you involved at all or have you visited recently?

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2016

Well I'll just say that a while back I did see a gap in the market, in fact it was incredibly similar to uJam but involving user generated content from DAW owners, which is the direction this seems to be heading in.

If executed right it could provide an outlet and platform for music makers. Music rights and royalties might be the biggest challenge, which might be the reason they went for a CC type license. I think that any innovations in bringing more royalties to music creators would result a fat payday for whoever figures it out, failing that I see no harm in a copyleft license.

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
noelcampbelljnr wrote:If it is the social networking discovery type affair. I am a bit perplexed as I wasn't entirely sure discover caught on. It seemed ill conceived from the point of view that the artists didn't legally own their work etc...

No its a waste of time in my opinion with the copyright issue. I could go on to discover today and download other peoples work and release it commercially and I wouldn't have to pay the artists a penny. Its not good at all. A massive oversight. Props are supposed to be coming from the point of view of the artist... Moving the software out of the way of the artist etc etc...but props are getting paid and will find revenue streams for discover and the artists will get zero.

Horrible model and a clear indiction that props are not artist friendly at all and when it comes down to it they openly abuse the artist by releasing discovery

These are facts not opinions so no fan boy in the world can argue against this....i know a few will try :D

Olivier

10 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:My guess is it is related to Discover. Maybe an app or service that facilitates more the collaboration process (more in depth)? Maybe it's all of Discover in app form (like a Facebook app vs. Facebook website)? Maybe a renaming/rebranding? Maybe it's the licensing version of Propellerhead Discover where you can sell your music/services? Maybe it's a collaboration bridge between DAWs? Maybe all of these things? Or none of them!
I'm betting on something like this too.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

joeyluck

10 Jan 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

No its a waste of time in my opinion with the copyright issue. I could go on to discover today and download other peoples work and release it commercially and I wouldn't have to pay the artists a penny. Its not good at all. A massive oversight. Props are supposed to be coming from the point of view of the artist... Moving the software out of the way of the artist etc etc...but props are getting paid and will find revenue streams for discover and the artists will get zero.

Horrible model and a clear indiction that props are not artist friendly at all and when it comes down to it they openly abuse the artist by releasing discovery

These are facts not opinions so no fan boy in the world can argue against this....i know a few will try :D
Oh I understand the licensing argument. I have filled out the Propellerhead feedback form a couple times requesting licensing options or at the very least Creative Commons licensing.

But that's aside from the point that people are using it and having fun doing so. From Figure and Take users, new uploads are happening every 1-2 minutes per app! Reason is about 10 minutes on average? There is some really great stuff on there! Even if you don't use it to upload, I suggest using it for browsing and listening and maybe building upon other people's work to start.

Given the licensing, I'm more comfortable uploading little riffs and loops I make on a whim or building upon someone else's track. I'm not uploading a track I've spent months perfecting by myself in order to find a vocalist...

noelcampbelljnr

10 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Oh I understand the licensing argument. I have filled out the Propellerhead feedback form a couple times requesting licensing options or at the very least Creative Commons licensing.

But that's aside from the point that people are using it and having fun doing so. From Figure and Take users, new uploads are happening every 1-2 minutes per app! Reason is about 10 minutes on average? There is some really great stuff on there! Even if you don't use it to upload, I suggest using it for browsing and listening and maybe building upon other people's work to start.

Given the licensing, I'm more comfortable uploading little riffs and loops I make on a whim or building upon someone else's track. I'm not uploading a track I've spent months perfecting by myself in order to find a vocalist...
I am not against collaboration. Thats what music is all about. However when you create discovery that has no respect for the artist that does not protect the artist and doesn't pay the artist....its a disgrace.

Props are getting paid. The software designers are getting paid.the janitor who cleans up after work hours is getting paid. But the artist is not. its not right and the fact consideration was not given to the artist intellectual property says it all about props.

I would not be surprised if props try give some protection and take a cut. Which is wrong as well

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Jan 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:I am not against collaboration. Thats what music is all about. However when you create discovery that has no respect for the artist that does not protect the artist and doesn't pay the artist....its a disgrace.

Props are getting paid. The software designers are getting paid.the janitor who cleans up after work hours is getting paid. But the artist is not. its not right and the fact consideration was not given to the artist intellectual property says it all about props.

I would not be surprised if props try give some protection and take a cut. Which is wrong as well
What payment structure would you propose that is flexible enough to cater for all the varying needs of how songs can be put together?

As I mentioned in my previous post, innovating with a royalty system would be great, but how could you really make it cater for everything. For example I could spend 5 minutes adding a drum loop, another guy spends 6 hours adding all the value, do I get the same amount as him? What licensing and payment system could cater for that situation and also cater for when it is the other way around?

• Information