Abbey Road Studios IR's?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

04 Jan 2016

I really want Impulse Responses of Abbey Road Studios!
I had contacted Abbey Road Studios about this and never received a response.

They've teamed up with Waves and Softube to deliver hardware plugins... They previously did the amazing Abbey Road Keyboards ReFill with Propellerhead, and more recently instrument sample libraries with Native Instruments (drum series), Garritan (grand pianos), and Cinesamples (upright pianos).

Yet, I can't seem to find IR's for the studios anywhere. Seems like a huge missed opportunity.
Or have I missed them somewhere?

challism

04 Jan 2016

Couldn't you just load in some diffferent audio samples to get the IRs? The samples were recorded in Abbey Road Studio, so in theory, they should give you the correct IRs. I guess the trick is knowing which samples were recorded in which rooms.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

05 Jan 2016

Thanks. I came across those, but they are only size approximations only. Not actual IR's of the space nor do they seek to imitate, it says.

joeyluck

05 Jan 2016

challism wrote:Couldn't you just load in some diffferent audio samples to get the IRs? The samples were recorded in Abbey Road Studio, so in theory, they should give you the correct IRs. I guess the trick is knowing which samples were recorded in which rooms.
That was one of the first things I tried :) Nothing that is usable in the ReFill that I can find.

MannequinRaces

05 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Thanks. I came across those, but they are only size approximations only. Not actual IR's of the space nor do they seek to imitate, it says.
Bummer! I thought they might be suitable.

joeyluck

12 Jan 2016

Herd back from Abbey Road today, they had this to say:
  • "This is something we have considered many times but, at this time, it is not something we have any plans to release.

Warm regards,

Abbey Road Plugins"
Hope this means that we will see it someday! Good to know they have entertained the idea many times. Maybe just trying to figure how much they can charge?

philosurfer

15 Jan 2016

@Joeyluck small tangent.. have you watched this Pensado's place on the Abbey roads reverb?

challism

17 Jan 2016

joeyluck wrote:
challism wrote:Couldn't you just load in some diffferent audio samples to get the IRs? The samples were recorded in Abbey Road Studio, so in theory, they should give you the correct IRs. I guess the trick is knowing which samples were recorded in which rooms.
That was one of the first things I tried :) Nothing that is usable in the ReFill that I can find.
Abbey Road Keys doesn't have any wav samples in the actual refill, rather they are loaded into NNXT patches. So, if you absolutely wanted to, you could bounce the desired sample to disk and then load it into your RV7000 IR sample loader. Did you try messing around with it that way?
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

joeyluck

17 Jan 2016

challism wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
Abbey Road Keys doesn't have any wav samples in the actual refill, rather they are loaded into NNXT patches. So, if you absolutely wanted to, you could bounce the desired sample to disk and then load it into your RV7000 IR sample loader. Did you try messing around with it that way?
Yeah. There is nothing usable in the ReFill

Dabbler

18 Jan 2016

Hey joeyluck. What do you plan to do with this if you get it?
I ask becasue the other day I was wondering if it was possible to record my guitar dead dry and then apply some kind of Abbey Road, studio 2 effect to it.

joeyluck

18 Jan 2016

Dabbler wrote:Hey joeyluck. What do you plan to do with this if you get it?
I ask becasue the other day I was wondering if it was possible to record my guitar dead dry and then apply some kind of Abbey Road, studio 2 effect to it.
I would love to use it on everything :) Strings, pianos, drums, etc

Dabbler

19 Jan 2016

Hey, can you link me to the post that goes into how the IR works? I remember you have a few about sampling a room in the house. Thanks

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

I might be buying my first Waves plugin...

https://www.waves.com/plugins/abbey-roa ... tech-specs

Based on announcement articles, it sounded like it was just a recreation/approximation, but sounds like it does use impulse responses as well!

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2018

I'd recommend trialing, if you aren't/haven't already. I have the Abbey Road Plate Reverb by Waves. Sounds great but is very CPU hungry. I haven't tried Chambers yet but I'd imagine it's a hog, if not more, than the plate reverb.

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

strangers wrote:
25 Jul 2018
I'd recommend trialing, if you aren't/haven't already. I have the Abbey Road Plate Reverb by Waves. Sounds great but is very CPU hungry. I haven't tried Chambers yet but I'd imagine it's a hog, if not more, than the plate reverb.
Yup I'm getting ready to trial it now :puf_smile:

strangers
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018
strangers wrote:
25 Jul 2018
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Plates sounds amazing even though I have to be careful when I add it to a session. I'd like to trial Chambers sometime soon, too.

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

strangers wrote:
25 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. Plates sounds amazing even though I have to be careful when I add it to a session. I'd like to trial Chambers sometime soon, too.
The Plates plugin is a complete recreation/emulation correct? Or does it use IRs? I don't remember reading anywhere that it did

joeyluck

25 Jul 2018

It's actually not too bad on CPU. The DSP meter shows two bars being used on my MacBook Air. I'd be using it as a send effect, so wouldn't have many instances of it.

I'll have to give is a good listen when I get home. At work now and just toying around with it during a break.

[EDIT] Ok got home and started trying this. Sounds great on vocals and strings so far. I really wish the dry/wet mix didn't change with patches...

Marco Raaphorst

26 Jul 2018

All the old fashioned companies are still thinking in terms like "exclusive deals" ... so silly!

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2018

Abbey Road Chambers is absolutley fantastic at creating "space". Synths sound amazing through this thing. Normally I'd be all up in the VST plugins section posting about this but I selfishly wanted to keep this on the DL because it is so AWESOME. : )

EDIT:

So, I'm not a big fan of the Beatles, and I don't really realize the musical/audio significance of Abbey Road Studios (feel free to educate me), but I was looking at my software and noticed that you could pretty much emulate recording there pretty accurately I guess - with Kontakt's Abbey Road Drums, Propellerhead's Abbey Road Keyboards refill, Garritan's Abbey Road Yamaha CFX, and all of Waves' Abbey Road plugins - seems like you might be able to get a decent Abbey Road "sound", eh?
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

26 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
26 Jul 2018
Abbey Road Chambers is absolutley fantastic at creating "space". Synths sound amazing through this thing. Normally I'd be all up in the VST plugins section posting about this but I selfishly wanted to keep this on the DL because it is so AWESOME. : )

EDIT:

So, I'm not a big fan of the Beatles, and I don't really realize the musical/audio significance of Abbey Road Studios (feel free to educate me), but I was looking at my software and noticed that you could pretty much emulate recording there pretty accurately I guess - with Kontakt's Abbey Road Drums, Propellerhead's Abbey Road Keyboards refill, Garritan's Abbey Road Yamaha CFX, and all of Waves' Abbey Road plugins - seems like you might be able to get a decent Abbey Road "sound", eh?
Yeah I'm a fan. Aside from this sounding great, it's part of the reason why I want it. Incorporating IRs certainly makes it special. I have the Abbey Road Keyboards ReFill, but nothing else. I'm debating picking up the Abbey Road Waves bundle which I can get for $179 discounted. Still not sure though...

I suppose we could take this discussion over to the VST forum. I just wanted to update this thread since I started it a while back just looking for Abbey Road IRs. And I still want some of their popular studios. Maybe some day... :puf_smile:

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018

Based on announcement articles, it sounded like it was just a recreation/approximation, but sounds like it does use impulse responses as well!
From the manual:

"We modeled some of the original Abbey Road hardware that was used to create the setup, accurately captured echo chamber acoustics using impulse responses, and exactingly recreated the signal path."
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

26 Jul 2018

hurricane wrote:
26 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018

From the manual:

"We modeled some of the original Abbey Road hardware that was used to create the setup, accurately captured echo chamber acoustics using impulse responses, and exactingly recreated the signal path."
Yup, that's where I read it :puf_smile:
Poor choice of words on my part... "sounds like..."

strangers
Competition Winner

26 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018
It's actually not too bad on CPU. The DSP meter shows two bars being used on my MacBook Air. I'd be using it as a send effect, so wouldn't have many instances of it.

I'll have to give is a good listen when I get home. At work now and just toying around with it during a break.

[EDIT] Ok got home and started trying this. Sounds great on vocals and strings so far. I really wish the dry/wet mix didn't change with patches...
That sounds about the same as Plates. Dropping it in instantly adds 1-2 bars. I still may have to trial this sooner than later since I do really like what the Plates reverb is capable of. I'm sure Chambers will be quality, too. I generally use Plates as a send effect unless I take advantage of bouncing to audio and then disabling the VST until the next bounce is ready.

That's really odd that the dry/wet knobs changes between patches. Plates stays in place. It's worth reaching out to them to see if they'll change that.

• Information