Abbey Road Studios IR's?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
joeyluck

26 Jul 2018

strangers wrote:
26 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
25 Jul 2018
It's actually not too bad on CPU. The DSP meter shows two bars being used on my MacBook Air. I'd be using it as a send effect, so wouldn't have many instances of it.

I'll have to give is a good listen when I get home. At work now and just toying around with it during a break.

[EDIT] Ok got home and started trying this. Sounds great on vocals and strings so far. I really wish the dry/wet mix didn't change with patches...
That sounds about the same as Plates. Dropping it in instantly adds 1-2 bars. I still may have to trial this sooner than later since I do really like what the Plates reverb is capable of. I'm sure Chambers will be quality, too. I generally use Plates as a send effect unless I take advantage of bouncing to audio and then disabling the VST until the next bounce is ready.

That's really odd that the dry/wet knobs changes between patches. Plates stays in place. It's worth reaching out to them to see if they'll change that.
I actually sent them an email requesting a lock button for the mix :puf_smile:

Marco Raaphorst

27 Jul 2018

The thing I always ask myself with these retro driven plugins: why trying to be a purist?

Abbey Road has a name thanks, mostly to the Beatles. But it is now overly used for marketing. In a way I hate that. Like saying a plugin gives you that Motown sound.

I am always thinking: I will find my own sound.

joeyluck

27 Jul 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jul 2018
The thing I always ask myself with these retro driven plugins: why trying to be a purist?

Abbey Road has a name thanks, mostly to the Beatles. But it is now overly used for marketing. In a way I hate that. Like saying a plugin gives you that Motown sound.

The Chambers plugin got me looking into other plugins in the bundle. I'm pretty impressed. I'm really digging the Reel ADT, which is another plugin that emulates something very specific to Abbey Road Studios. I get that the name is certainly being used to sell plugins, but they aren't just slapping it on anything...it's stuff that makes sense to Abbey Road and it's very well done. But then again, isn't selling most any plugin nowadays involving marketing of 'sound like this' or relating it to other equipment and plugins as an alternative? I'm finding these plugins more unique than most stuff I've tried recently...

Marco Raaphorst

27 Jul 2018

joeyluck wrote:
27 Jul 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jul 2018

The Chambers plugin got me looking into other plugins in the bundle. I'm pretty impressed. I'm really digging the Reel ADT, which is another plugin that emulates something very specific to Abbey Road Studios. I get that the name is certainly being used to sell plugins, but they aren't just slapping it on anything...it's stuff that makes sense to Abbey Road and it's very well done. But then again, isn't selling most any plugin nowadays involving marketing of 'sound like this' or relating it to other equipment and plugins as an alternative? I'm finding these plugins more unique than most stuff I've tried recently...
I tested all those Waves plugins. They look great also.

But you can do these things in Reason as well. Just build them using a Combinator. We already have way too many tools. Tools we have not spend enough time with. So we buy, buy, buy. We are not creative, we want copy and past, rebuild the past. We turned into purist.

Sorry for the rant. Do whatever you'd like. I try to become more of a minimalist. Being an expert using just a few tools. Getting to the bottom of that stuff.

joeyluck

27 Jul 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
27 Jul 2018
joeyluck wrote:
27 Jul 2018

I tested all those Waves plugins. They look great also.

But you can do these things in Reason as well. Just build them using a Combinator. We already have way too many tools. Tools we have not spend enough time with. So we buy, buy, buy. We are not creative, we want copy and past, rebuild the past. We turned into purist.

Sorry for the rant. Do whatever you'd like. I try to become more of a minimalist. Being an expert using just a few tools. Getting to the bottom of that stuff.
Oh yeah I'm in the same boat. I don't need any more synths. Like I mentioned above, this will be my first Waves purchase. I really need to be inspired and know I'll have a use for something in order to want to buy it.

joeyluck

27 Jul 2018

I just picked up the bundle for $149

I trialed most of them and really enjoyed them all.

Currently most excited about the Chambers and Reel ADT. Here's some great videos on both with some cool history behind them.

jimmyklane

27 Jul 2018

Why not consider hiring out 3-4 hours of studio time remotely, and then asking them to record sine sweeps in the various rooms for you? You can then use Voxengo's deconvolver, and have a completely unique set of IRs for your own personal use.

Might be expensive, but you'd be the only person in the world with those IRs and they'd be legitimate copies of the various rooms in the studio. Perhaps contact them about the possibility of doing this?

-Jim
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

moalla

27 Jul 2018

Abbey Road Chambers sounds really amazing together with the Overloud GEM EQ 550 wich was a free bargain. But also EMI TG12345 is a really nice vintage EQ for voices, and Scheps 73 for guitars,
I really like the PH EQ´s Plugs, but for especial usage these three waves plugs are outstanding.

Some simmiliar result could bearchieved, with Vermillion+Trident A Range and RV7000, but not really with the same quality!

So it´s the first effect with two wet/dry controls, more or less ;) ive used.

The Impulse Responses of Chamber are quiet nice and the release time could set very long, together with the tape delay it gives you the performance to use as feedback prozessor. First i thought there is a seperate exciter needed, but EMI EQ RS works quiet good, it´s not a extrem effect, but if it´s called vintage or not, hmm it brings a little bit chimmer/air. But the Overloud EQ+Chamber+Drum Enhancer now iss the biggest and bad ass thickener for synth sounds i´ve found/edited. If Abbey Roads are not willing to share IR Convolution for RV7000 i think it´s not a shame, it´s there business.

For me, this plug gives the resources to finalize tracks, that a especiall maximizer is not really needed, respectivly PH Maximizer or C1 L1 are more than enough for this job.
In my especial synth case, a combination of yoko and FET for the lows, C1 L1 for the mids and RE3Q for the heights gives more control then every multiband comp, or exciter as the final effect device of an channel.

At all i reallize mastering is a much wider field than i thought and automated dynamic prozessor are not the answer for a good sound!
Maybe people like things like OZone, NEutron... but i must say its made for hobbist and videoeditors!
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

joeyluck

27 Jul 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
27 Jul 2018
Why not consider hiring out 3-4 hours of studio time remotely, and then asking them to record sine sweeps in the various rooms for you? You can then use Voxengo's deconvolver, and have a completely unique set of IRs for your own personal use.

Might be expensive, but you'd be the only person in the world with those IRs and they'd be legitimate copies of the various rooms in the studio. Perhaps contact them about the possibility of doing this?

-Jim
Haha I wish! They would never let anybody do that though. I had a brief exchange with them before, and they certainly realize the value in it. And if they did anything, I'm sure they would package it in a plugin rather than just distribute IR files.

strangers
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2018

Finally had a chance to demo Chambers. About the same CPU hit as the Plates Reverb. I was taken back by the amount of presets since Plates has a small sample set. The sounds are really nice even though I still have to say I like Plates more than Chambers. The Steed section is a nice touch. If I didn't already have J37 that might have been enough to win me over since I always like a good reverb/delay combo.

• Information