Naming / organizing songs

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Mystile

24 Dec 2015

I'm wondering how everyone else goes about keeping their songs organized and named... I've seen where people come up with an original name for everything but that can become tiring if you have alooot of music. I've also seen numbering systems but I feel like doing that it's easy to forget what each one is over time.. Anyone have any special organization methods they use?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

normen

24 Dec 2015

I'm not writing much and most ideas go to HD with names like "fat bass stuff" or "strange bubbles", for actual songs I do come up with actual names relatively early though. But what came to my mind in this context was how many people end up with many versions of songs that are called things like "xxx - master", "xxx - final master", "xxx - current version", "xxx - final version", "xxx - new master" etc. which in the end mean absolutely nothing anymore. Two years in and you don't know if the actual latest version was "final master" or "new master" or whatever.

As I am doing mixes and masters for a lot of people I obviously have to avoid this happening. So what I do instead is simply add increasing numbers, so I have "xxx - Mix v1", "xxx - Mix v2", "xxx - Master v1", "xxx - Master v2" etc. I also keep these mix versions in the project file, Logic and Pro Tools allow you to keep different versions in the project file, something I wish Reason would allow as well. Anyway, this makes it much easier when the customer suddenly says "You know what, I think the Mix v4 was actually the best one, lets use that one". Its somewhat true that with numbers its not perfectly clear what actually changed but then I can always go back into the project file and look at the mix setup for the corresponding number and in reality its never important what the actual change was, whats important is which end result you like best :)

Edit: Oh and I actually prefix all files with acronyms of the project. So if the Album is called "Best of the Krix" the files would be called "BOTK - Song Name - Mix v1", which also makes it easier to find stuff on the HD.

Not exactly addressing the topic I guess but I thought I'd throw this in :)

Vince-Noir-99

24 Dec 2015

At work we follow this file naming template:

YYMMDD_composersinitials_projectname_projecttype_versionnumber_(optional comment)
e.g.:
151221_XX_XXXX_PreProd_01
151222_XX_XXXX_PreProd_02
151223_XX_XXXX_Mix_01
151223_XX_XXXX_Mix_02 (blablablah)
151224_XX_XXXX_Mix_03

Usually the main folder would be the client/project's name, then project's type folders (sound identity, telephony, voiceovers..).
This way it's easy to have an orderly list upon searches on the server or station's Finder.

normen

24 Dec 2015

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:At work we follow this file naming template:

YYMMDD_composersinitials_projectname_projecttype_versionnumber_(optional comment)
e.g.:
151221_XX_XXXX_PreProd_01
151222_XX_XXXX_PreProd_02
151223_XX_XXXX_Mix_01
151223_XX_XXXX_Mix_02 (blablablah)
151224_XX_XXXX_Mix_03

Usually the main folder would be the client/project's name, then project's type folders (sound identity, telephony, voiceovers..).
This way it's easy to have an orderly list upon searches on the server or station's Finder.
Isn't this resulting in such long names that in half of the file dialogs you only see the first part of the name and not the important bits?

Vince-Noir-99

25 Dec 2015

Not sure what you mean, but I guess one could shorten it and make it simpler.
Maybe omitting the following:
  1. YY, if one keeps all the projects in the current year's folder
  • Composer initials, assuming one isn't working in a large team
  • Project name could simply be the root folder for the projects themselves
For example:
1225_Mix_06

In my opinion the date format is especially practical.
There can be many other ways, of course...

normen

25 Dec 2015

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Not sure what you mean, but I guess one could shorten it and make it simpler.
For example:
1225_Mix_06

For date I am actually quite fine with the date info on the files, it usually shows when the file was actually created, when it was changed the last time and when it was opened the last time.

chimp_spanner

25 Dec 2015

I just call it the first thing that comes into my head (usually associated with something I've seen/heard/done that day) and then in brackets what style or project it's suitable for. I find that helps me make associations between the name and the idea!

Fretless Fingers

25 Dec 2015

I Actually started a naming system after Reason 6. My Reason 3 to 5 & Record tracks are a bit of a mess now

My system involves creating a track name based on what pops into my head while listening and the following. File number, Name, and BPM. I finish each folder after 50 or so files so it looks like:
01All Filter115bpm.reason
02Mid Flight109bpm.reason
etc.

The key here is once a folder is finished I go through each song and use an ULTRA simple excel spreadsheet to grade each track and give notes about them. This allows me to quickly order the best songs and decide which ones should get a second look. Here a peak at one of my folders grade sheets.
screen-capture-10.png
screen-capture-10.png (139.23 KiB) Viewed 1861 times
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

normen

25 Dec 2015

Hah, I like that system, sounds very productive!

Fretless Fingers

25 Dec 2015

normen wrote:Hah, I like that system, sounds very productive!
Actually works out very well. I can go back and quickly pick things out.
The biggest help has been when sending files to other artist and they use different software. Since the BPM is listed there is no confusion on what to set it at in order to start recording vocals and such and just get down to work.
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:

Skullture

25 Dec 2015

I'm not gonna lie, my reason folder is a mess. It really gets annoying when I need to export my stuff on a deadline :'(

freeQlow

25 Dec 2015

need an reason version...

I'm genre specific anyway, I like all kinds of music and tempo.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1427320339952.jpg
FB_IMG_1427320339952.jpg (20.77 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

chimp_spanner

25 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:I'm not gonna lie, my reason folder is a mess. It really gets annoying when I need to export my stuff on a deadline :'(
I used to be the same...until it came close to almost affecting a paid job. I had files called "weuigdhgfdhuifhruihg.reason". Yeah. I was that guy haha. New system isn't perfect but I can find things at least.

Also another good practice; do stem exports as soon as a song is finished! Perhaps not so applicable to Reason but certainly with other DAWs it prevents the ballache of trying to track down ancient plugins and relocated samples!

Skullture

25 Dec 2015

chimp_spanner wrote:
Skullture wrote:Also another good practice; do stem exports as soon as a song is finished! Perhaps not so applicable to Reason but certainly with other DAWs it prevents the ballache of trying to track down ancient plugins and relocated samples!
That's near impossible, I always find something that's not sounding like I want to to be. So if export that, I have to maybe do it all over again.
By the way, nice project name. :thumbs_up: :puf_bigsmile:

chimp_spanner

25 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:
chimp_spanner wrote:
Skullture wrote:Also another good practice; do stem exports as soon as a song is finished! Perhaps not so applicable to Reason but certainly with other DAWs it prevents the ballache of trying to track down ancient plugins and relocated samples!
That's near impossible, I always find something that's not sounding like I want to to be. So if export that, I have to maybe do it all over again.
By the way, nice project name. :thumbs_up: :puf_bigsmile:
Well, by finished I of course mean "finished" ;) I mean for jobs on a deadline I usually don't have time to go back so it makes it a little easier (but no less painful) to draw a line under it and call it done. Even if I secretly wish I could start again haha.

And thank you! Picked it when I was about 15. Thought it'd be of no consequence. Turns out it's followed me everywhere. Whoops.

Mystile

25 Dec 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote:I Actually started a naming system after Reason 6. My Reason 3 to 5 & Record tracks are a bit of a mess now

My system involves creating a track name based on what pops into my head while listening and the following. File number, Name, and BPM. I finish each folder after 50 or so files so it looks like:
etc.

The key here is once a folder is finished I go through each song and use an ULTRA simple excel spreadsheet to grade each track and give notes about them. This allows me to quickly order the best songs and decide which ones should get a second look. Here a peak at one of my folders grade sheets.
screen-capture-10.png

When i started this thread..something like this is exactly what i was hoping someone would say i just didn't know what exactly i was looking for...but that spreadsheet idea is perfect for the route i'm going, i'm mad at myself or never thinking of that....and a unique numbering system aaah christmas miracle!

Fretless Fingers

29 Dec 2015

Mystile wrote:
Fretless Fingers wrote:I Actually started a naming system after Reason 6. My Reason 3 to 5 & Record tracks are a bit of a mess now

etc.

screen-capture-10.png

When i started this thread..something like this is exactly what i was hoping someone would say i just didn't know what exactly i was looking for...but that spreadsheet idea is perfect for the route i'm going, i'm mad at myself or never thinking of that....and a unique numbering system aaah christmas miracle!
:thumbs_up:
I can post my template if you are interested at all

selig
RE Developer

29 Dec 2015

normen wrote:
Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Not sure what you mean, but I guess one could shorten it and make it simpler.
For example:
1225_Mix_06

For date I am actually quite fine with the date info on the files, it usually shows when the file was actually created, when it was changed the last time and when it was opened the last time.
Advantages of using dates for me:
Quickly name the song and move on.
Songs always displayed in the order created.
Dates show in all views/browsers.
Dates tend to trigger memories of the song better than random titles.

I've used this approach for so long now it would be difficult for me to change now! I don't always use dates, as sometimes I need/have a proper title or lyrics are involved which imply a title. But for me, dates are far better than meaningless titles when going back through the archives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

CaliforniaBurrito

29 Dec 2015

Last edited by CaliforniaBurrito on 16 Jan 2016, edited 1 time in total.

tt_lab

29 Dec 2015

Just name it whatever you want and choose modified date in your browser for the order. Or creation date, whatever suits you best. That's my aproach anyway! LOL

Mystile

29 Dec 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote: :thumbs_up:
I can post my template if you are interested at all
I've already completely ripped your idea color scheme and all from the picture you posted haha.. Added in a couple more columns I want to track

I had thought of using dates at one point like Selig but I'd never be able to have any memory of the song like that... So with the spreadsheet I can give them unique numbers and the file naming system goes number-name-bpm.. I'm going back through and numbering all my older stuff now

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Information