Detune Little LFO

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rogerraa

12 Dec 2015

How would I go about detuning an osc on LittleLfo? Trying to learn a "little" (heh heh) about sound design/synthesis.

EDIT* heres a little more info from a further post.
I'm trying to convert a patch from sylenth1 vst to reason. The thor osc's were a little random and the osc controls didn't have enough (for lack of a better word) "resolution". So I'm trying Little Lfo which is working great thus far.

In sylenth1 I have 1 osc with 4 voices (and from my research is basically just 4 osc of the same. Its detuned a little. But as there is only 1 detune knob for the osc (which is really 4?), converting that to a 4 osc little lfo is not correlating. It sounds like each of the four "osc's" in that one sylenth1 osc are being detuned differently.

The semitone offset on little flo seems to drastic.
Last edited by rogerraa on 12 Dec 2015, edited 5 times in total.

rogerraa

12 Dec 2015

Yeah I tried that and it didn't sound right.. Let me give a little more detail as there might be more I am not understanding.

I'm trying to convert a patch from sylenth1 vst to reason. The thor osc's were a little random and the osc controls didn't have enough (for lack of a better word) "resolution". So I'm trying Little Lfo which is working great thus far.

In sylenth1 I have 1 osc with 4 voices (and from my research is basically just 4 osc of the same. Its detuned a little (1.10). But as there is only 1 detune knob for the osc (which is really 4?), converting that to a 4 osc Little Lfo is not correlating. It sounds like each of the four "osc's" in that one sylenth1 osc are being detuned differently.

The semitone offset on little flo seems to drastic.

And thats were I stall.
Last edited by rogerraa on 12 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

12 Dec 2015

To make four oscillators in LittleLFO you need to have them all on and make sure the LFO frequency sources for all of them say 'keyboard' then change the amount of semitone offset for each oscillator that you want. One semitone = one half step. The oscillators in Thor have finer 'resolution' because in addition to adjusting the semitone you can adjust the 'tune' as well.
Last edited by MannequinRaces on 12 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

rogerraa

12 Dec 2015

MannequinRaces wrote:To make four oscillators in LittleLFO you need to have them all on and make sure the LFO frequency sources for all of them say 'keyboard' then change the amount of semitone offset for each oscillator that you want.

Yeah done.. I tried that, didn't sound the same the sylenth1 osc detune amount is 1.10. I have no idea what unit of measurement they use, and the semitone offset seems to not be as "fine".

MannequinRaces

12 Dec 2015

I just edited my above post but the oscillators in Thor have a finer amount of control than LittleLFO.

rogerraa

12 Dec 2015

Thanks for your help man. I tried using thor again and the detune adjustment there is for sure closer.
The challenge here is obviously going to be they are different synths so they will sound different (shOckEr!), but also the units of measurement sylenth1 and reason devices use are different aswell. Also, I know shit all beyond basics about synthesis. lol, I'm mainly doing this as an academic experiment to learn. I'm tired of being clueless. And I know I can't make a conversion exactly, but I'd like to get these basic osc's characteristics correlating.

So I as I said, I tried using thor again because it has the detuning parameter. So with a 2 osc thor, and a 2 osc sylenth, the detune adjustment set to 5.00 in sylenth1 correlates to osc1 set to -12ish, and osc2 set to 12ish in thor. The problem now becomes, the patch I'm converting has 3 voices (so 3 osc's) in sylenth on OSC A1. So if turning the detune knob to 5.00 in sylenth1 means two osc's in thor detuned to the above mentioned values, what the hell is sylenth1 doing to 3 osc's?

lol, hope that made sense.

MannequinRaces

12 Dec 2015

I'd have to see the patch in sylenth. Can you post a screenshot of the patch in sylenth you are trying to reproduce in Reason? Check out the site http://www.syntorial.com/try-for-free/ if you haven't done so yet. The first 22 lessons are free and really good.

decibel

12 Dec 2015

when you guys get your head around this one, could you please post the patch here for the rest of us to take a look at ;)

MannequinRaces

12 Dec 2015

And a sound example of the patch the OP is trying to create would help as well. :)

WongoTheSane

16 Dec 2015

This might sound silly, but why don't you just output each LittleLFO osc to a UN16 Unison:

...and then merge them back with a line mixer? Even though the signal flow is different, I think it would yield a very similar result, and you could set the detune amount/voices independently for each osc.

rogerraa

16 Dec 2015

MannequinRaces wrote:And a sound example of the patch the OP is trying to create would help as well. :)
I'll post the sylenth1 patch and combinator I ended up with I can.

rogerraa

16 Dec 2015

decibel wrote:when you guys get your head around this one, could you please post the patch here for the rest of us to take a look at ;)
Sure.. I ended up using thor though, so...

rogerraa

16 Dec 2015

WongoTheSane wrote:This might sound silly, but why don't you just output each LittleLFO osc to a UN16 Unison:

...and then merge them back with a line mixer? Even though the signal flow is different, I think it would yield a very similar result, and you could set the detune amount/voices independently for each osc.

I tried the unison, but if i remember correctly, the minimum 4 voices unison offered made me ditch.. I'll definitely give it another go though. Thanks!
Last edited by rogerraa on 16 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

WongoTheSane

16 Dec 2015

rogerraa wrote:the minimum 4 voices unison offered made me ditch.
OK, I might have a better solution then:

I've only shown the connexion for one osc here for clarity. Plug the output of a CV generator (Aftermath Audio's CV8X4 CV Generator, pictured here, is free) into the "freq" input of LittleLFO's first osc, and turn down the corresponding knob to "1" (you have to use the Shift key for smoother steps). You can now use the front knob of the CV generator to detune the osc by 1/127th of a semitone per step (i.e. 0=no detune, 127=half a semitone higher).

You might want to switch the CV Generator for a Matrix sequencer though, as it has bipolar output (for negative detuning).

rogerraa

16 Dec 2015

WongoTheSane wrote:
rogerraa wrote:the minimum 4 voices unison offered made me ditch.
OK, I might have a better solution then:

I've only shown the connexion for one osc here for clarity. Plug the output of a CV generator (Aftermath Audio's CV8X4 CV Generator, pictured here, is free) into the "freq" input of LittleLFO's first osc, and turn down the corresponding knob to "1" (you have to use the Shift key for smoother steps). You can now use the front knob of the CV generator to detune the osc by 1/127th of a semitone per step (i.e. 0=no detune, 127=half a semitone higher).

You might want to switch the CV Generator for a Matrix sequencer though, as it has bipolar output (for negative detuning).

Awesome, thanks! I'll give it a try

rogerraa

16 Dec 2015

Heres the Reason Combinator and sylenth1 patch. It was just some random sylenth1 sound design tutorial I found on youtubes and thought, hey.. I wonder how close reason could come to this. Its not some badass patch from sylenth1 or anything, just the tut I found and ran with it.

This is the version using thor.. I'll work on one using LittleLfo and post here later when I can.
Calvin Harris C.U.B.A Drop Lead-v1.zip
(3.52 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

MannequinRaces

18 Dec 2015

I would need to hear the patch you're trying to recreate… got a link to the tutorial?

rogerraa

19 Dec 2015

MannequinRaces wrote:I would need to hear the patch you're trying to recreate… got a link to the tutorial?
Yeah here ya go,

Its a great channel btw, so for anyone reading this, I'd recommend to check it out.

• Information