Get signal directly form oscillator in Thor

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
lowcase

07 Dec 2015

Is it possible to get signal directly out from the Thor's oscillator? I mean signal unaffected by VCA and envelope. Something like when I have VCO on hardware modular synths. I tried to route Osc1 to Audio Out1 in the mod matrix but some key still need to be pressed to get sound and also sound is affected by Amp envelope.

TheMiles

07 Dec 2015

As far as my understanding goes, The oscillators must be triggered by a midi note to run. Otherwise there was no guarantee that notes sound the same every time they are triggered.

Edit : Also how should the OSC know wich frequency to run with if not triggered ??

Vince-Noir-99

07 Dec 2015

Hello. I don't think it's possible to tap a free running oscillator's signal out of Thor before any gate event happens. Not that I'm aware of...
However, one way I can think of to get an OSC to run freely would be by using the built in sequencer and letting it loop a single note, full gate. That might do the trick for you.
Otherwise, sending a value of 1 or more to the gate input:
1- Button 1 > CV Out 1 in the Matrix
2- CV1 Out > Gate in the back of Thor

Vince-Noir-99

07 Dec 2015

Forget option #2. If you turn off the Gate button above the Amp Env, you can just route whatever your 1 is (modifier button 1 etc..) through the matrix without patching anything in the back.

1- Switch off 'Gate' above the Amp Env sliders
2- Button 1 > Amp Env in the Matrix

lowcase

07 Dec 2015

Cool, thanks. I find out that I don't even need to use the matrix. Just one note in the step sequencer with full gate, Amp Env gate triggering enabled and sustain all the way up.

raccoonboy

07 Dec 2015

You can do it. But You won't be able to do much else with this Thor instance.

Getting the oscilator Out.

1. Turn off Gate Retrig above Amp Env so that it doesn't affect the oscillator (Although the next step also covers this)
2. Turn off MIDI at the top of Thor
3. Osc 1 > 100 > Audio Out 1 (in the Mod matrix) and put it into something (I've just tried it into the bass amp and it's pretty cool for shaping the sound)
4. Repeat step 3 with Osc 2 and 3 (Noise osc into a pulverisor is awesome :D :D )

Adding a constant gate so that it continues to output (you must press play to Start).
5. Put the sequencer to Repeat.
6. Reduce the length of the sequence to 1 (out of 16).
7. Turn the sync off from the sequencer and set Rate to 250Hz
8. Connect the Gate/Velocity (output) of the Sequencer to the Gate (input) at the top left of Thor (at the back of the rack).

Changing notes.

Either:
9a. Use the Octave and semi knobs on the oscillator to change the output note.

Or:
9b. Set Thor to Mono.
10b. Put an RPG-8 above Thor. Turn the 'ON' button 'OFF' and connect the Note CV out to the CV input of Thor and now you can change the note via MIDI.

raccoonboy

07 Dec 2015

Ah. You've already figured it out. That's what I get for taking ages to type this up. Bit of a different way of doing it but learned some cool things in the proccess.

lowcase

08 Dec 2015

Thanks anyway. I'll try also your tips. It's great to have more options in case that there will be some issue later with other one.

• Information