Remove Bars Between Locators Resetting Static Pitch

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
syncanonymous

01 Dec 2015

I wonder if anyone else has come across this behaviour? Essentially, I have come to the conclusion that the static value pointer cannot be trusted. To be confident your automation triggers as expected, you should write automation values into all clips. Again, maybe I am using Reason incorrectly. I haven't poured through the manual on this, either.

Let's see if I can describe it well enough in words...

I have been working on an orchestral "cover" for the past couple of months. The orchestral piece that I used as reference was playing tempered, not equal temperment. So I tuned the various combis and NNXTs using pitch bend automation. Automation in my case I have written inside clips. For many of the instruments I have set pitch bend automation with the static pointer in the Performance Controller Automation Static Handles. Then, any "more complicated" automation has been recorded/drawn into specific clips. That has worked fine.

Then (as is often the case), I have a requirement to change the duration of this piece...make it longer by looping a section or sections.
Previously, I was able to extend the piece by Razor clips to suit my loop points> Insert Bars> copy & paste the section with no adverse effects to the tunings.

Now I have been asked to make the duration even longer.

So, I "save as" to a new file name. Remove the previous looped section of clips. Then Remove Bars Between Locators to get back to my original starting point, BUT The Remove Bars Between Locators has messed up the static tunings. I found a few instruments had the static pitch bend automation lane removed. I believe those pitch bend lanes that reset were hidden in Edit Mode...does hiding a Performance Automation Lane remove the static value? Not when I was tuning the instrument originally, just when I Remove Bars Between Locators. I am still in the middle of trying to ascertain what is happening, but I do have to deliver this recut, so I have decided to make sure every clip has the correct Pitch Bend automation value to see if that will retain my tunings for editing.

Obviously, the easy road is to set everything to equal temperment, but that would toss out weeks of work.

So, I am just sharing in the event anyone else discovers similar behaviour.

Oh yeah, specifics:
Windows7 Home Premium
Reason 8.3.2d7 (build 6,323)
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

• Information