ssd and reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
rogerraa

27 Nov 2015

Good evening guys,

I know I'm a bit late, but I finally snagged a ssd drive for my OS drive.
Now I know awhile back the big topic surrounding ssd's was limiting the writes. I'm pretty much thinking, f it... there are tons of reason users running around with ssd's, and I haven't heard any horrible stories. But then again, I've been under a rock for quite some time.

So am I over looking anything, or should I set reasons scratch disk to my second non ssd drive?

platzangst

27 Nov 2015

rogerraa wrote:Good evening guys,

Now I know awhile back the big topic surrounding ssd's was limiting the writes. I'm pretty much thinking, f it... there are tons of reason users running around with ssd's, and I haven't heard any horrible stories. But then again, I've been under a rock for quite some time.

So am I over looking anything, or should I set reasons scratch disk to my second non ssd drive?
That's what I do, mostly because my second drive is much larger, and if I get into a large project with a lot of audio clips, it's not going to throw a lot of bloated scratch files onto my main OS/application drive.

zeebot

28 Nov 2015

My scratch disc isn't my SSD either. Only use the SSD to run programs and other drives for storage.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

gak

28 Nov 2015

I decided fuck it. Now I just use the 750gb hard drive for everything and I don't care.

At first, I had regular hard drive for just what you are mentioning. It was too noisy. Then I got a killer deal on a 250 GB SSD (like 89 bucks for evo 840) and that worked ok, but again, I decided fuck it. If it fails, it fails. You don't get any performance increase and I get tired of having to search more than one drive for things.

Consider me a pioneer :lol:

adfielding

28 Nov 2015

I used to use a SSD for the OS, applications, and commonly used instruments/Refills, and a hard drive for pretty much everything else. In the future I'd love to switch to a 100% SSD solution, but obviously that gets expensive quickly... but SSD prices keep coming down, which I guess is good for everyone :)

EnochLight

28 Nov 2015

rogerraa wrote:Good evening guys,

Current generation SSD's have no issue with limiting the writes. Don't believe the hype - you'll be fine; scratch disc can be left there too. Slap your OS and all programs on it; refills too if you've got the room. The difference in speed and system response will be noticeable.

I've been running my SSD just like that for several years now, and it still benchmarks just as fast as it did when I first got it (OCZ Vertex 4) . By the time your SSD starts having issues with writes, you'll have upgraded your hardware.

The only thing you should consider doing is disabling search indexing and defrag. Neither are needed on SSD's and will commit unneeded read/writes. TRIM is automatic on both Windows and OSX these days...

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

zeebot

28 Nov 2015

gak wrote:I decided fuck it. Now I just use the 750gb hard drive for everything and I don't care.

At first, I had regular hard drive for just what you are mentioning. It was too noisy. Then I got a killer deal on a 250 GB SSD (like 89 bucks for evo 840) and that worked ok, but again, I decided fuck it. If it fails, it fails. You don't get any performance increase and I get tired of having to search more than one drive for things.

Consider me a pioneer :lol:
You are a maverick indeed! Next you will be running Reason from a pendrive :puf_bigsmile:
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

rogerraa

28 Nov 2015

Awesome! Thanks guys. I disabled defrag(which seems to have disabled it for all drives?), and search indexing appeared to already be off.

Back to not making any music!

Last Alternative

28 Nov 2015

All I have is an SSD. It's OCZ Vector also. No problems and still as fast as when I got it a couple years ago.
I'm fully aware not to defrag on SSD's but have always wondered if it's ok to do disc cleanup. Haven't found much info really at all about it so I do it and it seems fine.
But definitely have backups! I have 3.

Went with SSD for the speed but mainly because my vocal booth is right next to my computer so I can keep an eye on my levels (bedroom studio) and computer noise is never an issue. Glad I went all out on a silent case, fans, etc. Wasn't cheap but noise will fuck up your takes.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

tobypearce

03 Apr 2022

I've just extracted a 250gb SSD from my an old computer - too small for too much usage but I did wonder whether I could set it up exclusively for Reason's scratch disk.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

pushedbutton

03 Apr 2022

tobypearce wrote:
03 Apr 2022
I've just extracted a 250gb SSD from my an old computer - too small for too much usage but I did wonder whether I could set it up exclusively for Reason's scratch disk.
That should work without any issues.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

kitekrazy

03 Apr 2022

adfielding wrote:
28 Nov 2015
I used to use a SSD for the OS, applications, and commonly used instruments/Refills, and a hard drive for pretty much everything else. In the future I'd love to switch to a 100% SSD solution, but obviously that gets expensive quickly... but SSD prices keep coming down, which I guess is good for everyone :)
They aren't really coming down enough. A few years ago a WD 2TB could be had from them for $159. It's be pretty pricey for me to convert all 3 systems to SSD. I'm thinking of slimming down my overall drive space and have a 4TB HDD and a few 1TB SSDs. Amazing how this DAW madness creates system bloat.

kitekrazy

03 Apr 2022

tobypearce wrote:
03 Apr 2022
If one is into gaming a 1TB drive is almost necessary.

fullforce

04 Apr 2022

rogerraa wrote:
27 Nov 2015
Good evening guys,

Just turn off the scheduled defragging, because that's useless now. Other than that, do everything on the SSD and enjoy the speed. :thumbup:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

fullforce

04 Apr 2022

kitekrazy wrote:
03 Apr 2022
They aren't really coming down enough. A few years ago a WD 2TB could be had from them for $159. It's be pretty pricey for me to convert all 3 systems to SSD. I'm thinking of slimming down my overall drive space and have a 4TB HDD and a few 1TB SSDs. Amazing how this DAW madness creates system bloat.
Lol what? Maybe you should just stop buying more stuff then.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

syncanonymous

08 Apr 2022

I've been all SSD and M2 since 2018 and even before that on laptops....probably since about 2016
no probs...I do overprovision more percentage than suggested
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

adfielding

08 Apr 2022

All of internal storage is SSDs, I've never had any issues with it and I would never go back to internal mechanical storage. External storage - that's another matter entirely, for backups and archiving I'm more interested in capacity over read/write times and noise so hard drives work just fine.

• Information