Reason 8's Convolution Reverb

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
K1TTENM1TTEN

26 Nov 2015

So now that the upgrade is on sale for $99, is the new convolution reverb update for the RV7000 worth the $99? I bought TSAR-1 back when it first came out, and I am a pretty big reverb junkie. That being said, without being able to demo Reason 8's RV7000 Mark II like I would a RE device, I am definitely curious about jumping the fence. Any thoughts on the new updated RV7000?

SteveDiverse

26 Nov 2015

You can download R8 demo version and demo the updated RV7000.
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

joeyluck

26 Nov 2015

It is amazing!
For beautiful, practical spaces,
for guitar cabinet impulses,
for creative use with rhythmic impulses;
for sounds design overall.
It adds SO MUCH to Reason!

But you can trial it! With the Reason 8 or Reason 8 Essentials demos ;)

decibel

26 Nov 2015

$99 is $145 in australian dollars, i love the new updated RV7000 but decided to put my cash into various other REs that are on sale, better value for me personally at this point

mbfrancis

27 Nov 2015

I love R8. Drag and Drop and the new Browser were transformative for me. New reverb is great too.
Producer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist. I make indie pop as Port Streets, 90s/shoegaze as Swooner, and Electro as Yours Mine.

gak

27 Nov 2015

Convolution is terrific. For example, you can you the britcasti (donation ware) or use the free refill with many varieties. Also, if you do any guitar/bass stuff, you can get into those both freeware/donation ware and very inexpensive (like rosen)

Currently, the rosen "epifini" are being used here a lot for bass guitar (fretless, 5 string, j and p on my end) 8 bucks ( and they have ampeg and a couple of others ) :)

JerrelTheKing

27 Nov 2015

@decibel you bring up a point that has stopped me from upgrading. @Joeyluck has said a few times that Reason doesnt have to add new instruments or fx because we have rack extensions which is true. However with all the rack extensions we upgrade our experience ourselves without the need to really upgrade reason especially if they arent adding features. Workflow alone for $129 pales in comparison to what Rack extensions for that price can do for your music. Tempted to upgrade for $99 but the upgrade of $99 worth of RE in the shop right now is worth more value. This is why they have to add features as well as workflow enhancements to upgrades from here on out.

bpmorton

27 Nov 2015

I imagine that whenever the v9 comes out it will be a show stopper. It has to be after all the complaints about v8.

EnochLight

28 Nov 2015

K1TTENM1TTEN wrote:So now that the upgrade is on sale for $99, is the new convolution reverb update for the RV7000 worth the $99? I bought TSAR-1 back when it first came out, and I am a pretty big reverb junkie. That being said, without being able to demo Reason 8's RV7000 Mark II like I would a RE device, I am definitely curious about jumping the fence. Any thoughts on the new updated RV7000?
Absolute worth it, IMHO. With a convolution reverb, it's technically the last and only reverb you would ever need.

I've posted this before, but here it is again - just one of the awesome things that you can do with a convolution reverb just like the RV7000 MK2...

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

cixelsyd

28 Nov 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:@decibel you bring up a point that has stopped me from upgrading. @Joeyluck has said a few times that Reason doesnt have to add new instruments or fx because we have rack extensions which is true. However with all the rack extensions we upgrade our experience ourselves without the need to really upgrade reason especially if they arent adding features. Workflow alone for $129 pales in comparison to what Rack extensions for that price can do for your music. Tempted to upgrade for $99 but the upgrade of $99 worth of RE in the shop right now is worth more value. This is why they have to add features as well as workflow enhancements to upgrades from here on out.
How many more features are there?

JerrelTheKing

28 Nov 2015

@cixelsyd to R8? just convolution reverb. The only other changes were UI and drag and drop. Basically a workflow change.

joeyluck

28 Nov 2015

cixelsyd wrote:
JerrelTheKing wrote:@decibel you bring up a point that has stopped me from upgrading. @Joeyluck has said a few times that Reason doesnt have to add new instruments or fx because we have rack extensions which is true. However with all the rack extensions we upgrade our experience ourselves without the need to really upgrade reason especially if they arent adding features. Workflow alone for $129 pales in comparison to what Rack extensions for that price can do for your music. Tempted to upgrade for $99 but the upgrade of $99 worth of RE in the shop right now is worth more value. This is why they have to add features as well as workflow enhancements to upgrades from here on out.
How many more features are there?
https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/up ... ease-notes

joeyluck

28 Nov 2015

Some of the more notable features IMO:

Browser:
- New, faster browser
- Drag and drop to everything
- Rack window can now have a separate browser panel (two independent browsers)
- Revert patch function

Rack/Devices:
- Convolution reverb with RV7000 MkII
- Softube Amp
- Softube Bass Amp
- Redrum buttons now remotable
- Set MIDI focus directly from the rack

Sequencer:
- Zoom to Selection function
- Static value for an automated parameter is now adjustable in Arrange Mode
- Color palette extended to 32 colors (applies to rack and mixer too, of course)
- Adjust MIDI note start points
- Double click to add and remove notes

Updating/Sharing/Online Authentication:
- A typical Reason update (without soundbanks) is now around 100 MB - a tenth of its old size!
- Automatically detect if there is a newer version available, and optionally download and install this.
- Remember password for internet verification.
- "Drop to Propellerhead" and "Open in Reason" features

Other:
- New FFT library under Windows. This will vastly improve performance of RV7000 in convolution mode, as well as other native devices and Rack Extensions that use FFT.

tt_lab

28 Nov 2015

^^^This.
As far as Reason update I did back when it went out because of the integration of the browser with the Panorama keyboard. But now with 8.3 I wouldn't doubt on updating as I did

JerrelTheKing

29 Nov 2015

@JoeyLuck those are all workflow enhancements and not necessarily new music making features such as new instruments or fx devices except for reverb. But as I mentioned before your point about them not needing to add those type of things because of RE was very helpful because now I do the kind of upgrades I need on my own when I spend money in the shop as opposed to just changing my version of Reason. I'll be on board for 9 though. All the 8 features as well as the new 9 features will be worth it and give me the same value a $99 or $129 RE gives my music. Again not that the 8.3 upgrade isnt great its just that there's always a RE thats more important to me than just a workflow difference, especially when I'm comfortable with my workflow in 7.

joeyluck

29 Nov 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:@JoeyLuck those are all workflow enhancements and not necessarily new music making features such as new instruments or fx devices except for reverb. But as I mentioned before your point about them not needing to add those type of things because of RE was very helpful because now I do the kind of upgrades I need on my own when I spend money in the shop as opposed to just changing my version of Reason. I'll be on board for 9 though. All the 8 features as well as the new 9 features will be worth it and give me the same value a $99 or $129 RE gives my music. Again not that the 8.3 upgrade isnt great its just that there's always a RE thats more important to me than just a workflow difference, especially when I'm comfortable with my workflow in 7.
Understood. Just wanting to outline some of the more notable features to other folks on the fence.

For me, the new features are all about music making... Just the same as the Reason environment has been better for music making for me than any other DAW. Workflow is about music making.

The quickness and seamlessness and immediacy of the new browser and drag 'n drop are huge for this. Folks tend to overlook it's true potential and imagine it as just for patch loading, but they forget what it can do for sample loading; such as working with Kong, Redrum, NNXT, Dr. Octo Rex... I've been using Reason since version 1, and have probably created more kits with Reason 8 than I did with Reason 1-7 combined. It's just that much more inviting.

The features such as Zoom to selection, double click to add/remove notes, adjust note start points, adjusting the static value in arrange mode, setting MIDI focus from the rack, etc. may sound simple, but they make a huge difference and are tremendous time savers.

But for me, I didn't fully realize all of these benefits until I made the jump with 8.3; solely for the RV7000 MkII (while a few of those features also didn't come until 8.3). I wasn't really drawn to the Softube Amps prior, but now I find myself using them alongside A-List Pop Chords (although, the built-in effects are great as well) and with the Shreddage ReFill.

Glad to hear someone understands where I am coming from :)
I too stayed on Reason 7 for a bit and didn't think I needed Reason 8, but was simply against the naysayers who seemed to like to chime in to express their distaste in a product they didn't own; as if they were owed something. As if they had preordered a copy of Reason 8, or were paying for a subscription or Reason, and then were dissatisfied with the product they paid for. I'm happy Reason 8 happened and I'm glad I upgraded.

Keep doing you and upgrade when you feel it will benefit you :thumbs_up:
I just want to be sure that when someone asks "what's new?" that they get a proper answer. Because quite a bit is new.

EnochLight

29 Nov 2015

I tried switching back to 7.x after using 8.x for a month.. and found working in 7.x a complete inspiration killer. 8.3 may be workflow enhancements for the most part, but for me it was the difference between night and day.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tt_lab

29 Nov 2015

As reason is free to try, and you can save the work you do on the demo, just that you cannot open it again, I would sugest everybody that is thinking about updating that they try it for a couple of hours.
- New, faster browser + Rack window can now have a separate browser panel (two independent browsers). It is faster and with the option to open it in the rack is a winner
- Revert patch function. This was one of the complaints I had about 8.0, and props got it solved
- Zoom to Selection function. I use this all the time.
- Color palette extended to 32 colors (applies to rack and mixer too, of course). Bout time
- Double click to add and remove notes. This is the way I was used to do it in other DAWs so was a very welcome new feature.
This are the features(copied them from the joeyluck post) have been game changers for my beat making workflow.

joeyluck

29 Nov 2015

tt_lab wrote: - Double click to add and remove notes. This is the way I was used to do it in other DAWs so was a very welcome new feature.
This are the features(copied them from the joeyluck post) have been game changers for my beat making workflow.
This one in particular has been huge for sequencing drums in Reason's sequencer.
When folks request a Redrum sequencer with more steps—I always point them to this feature.

• Information