Play multiple instruments at once (split midi?)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cyberco

24 Nov 2015

How can I play multiple instruments at once? Say I want to play a Thor and a Malstrom with one keyboard, how can I route midi to both instruments?

Joerg

24 Nov 2015

Place both (or more) instruments into a combinator with a 6:2 Mixer. Then you can adjust the key range for each instrument in combinators programmer

cyberco

24 Nov 2015

I meant that I want the same not to go to both instruments.

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Nov 2015

cyberco wrote:I meant that I want the same not to go to both instruments.
It won't go to both if key ranges you specify in the combi programmer do not overlap.

cyberco

24 Nov 2015

But they should go to both instruments. So overlaping the keyranges should do the trick?

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Nov 2015

You could have tried this already. It takes 1 minute :)

Joerg

24 Nov 2015

overlapping key range (layering over full keyboard) is default

SteveDiverse

24 Nov 2015

Create a Combinator
Click to select the black area under the controls - you will see a red line
Create a 6:2 mixer
Click to select the black area below the 6:2
Create a Thor
Click to select the black area below Thor
Create a Malstrom

Thor will be routed through the mix channel 1 and Malstrom through the mix channel 2 on the 6:2 mixer.
Their combined signal (the out from 6:2) will be routed to the one mix channel in the SSL
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

joeyluck

24 Nov 2015

You can also route instruments to their own individual mix channels outside of the Combinator.
You can do that by simply creating mix channels and routing each instrument to them.

You can also create instruments as you normally would in the rack, which will create individual mix channels for each by default.
Then you can select each instrument (by using command+click on the instruments you would like to combine, so you aren't selecting the mix channels; you will not be able to combine if you do) and then clicking 'combine.'

Thousand Ways

26 Nov 2015

Does this mean that, for instance, it's possible for three or four members of a band to all play MIDIsynths onstage, all going through a single computer running Reason?

orthodox
RE Developer

26 Nov 2015

Thousand Ways wrote:Does this mean that, for instance, it's possible for three or four members of a band to all play MIDIsynths onstage, all going through a single computer running Reason?
This has nothing to do with the topic, but yes, just any DAW can do that.

Thousand Ways

26 Nov 2015

orthodox wrote:This has nothing to do with the topic
?

submonsterz

26 Nov 2015

Instead of all the shinanigans why not just go download one note stand re it's free...
Just make track for it then load in any combinators or instruments you want played . Then simply rout one note to a cv splitter /splitters and just take the cv out and gate out and rout them to all you want played at once using the one note track or by having that selected so simples .

submonsterz

26 Nov 2015

Thousand Ways wrote:
orthodox wrote:This has nothing to do with the topic
?
The guy wanted all on one key board all at once.
But what you ask is simply just locking the separate devices to the reason devices you want them to play as l9ng as you have the interface to allow multi ins via midi or USB all good.

Thousand Ways

26 Nov 2015

submonsterz wrote:The guy wanted all on one key board all at once.
Ah. Misread.
submonsterz wrote:But what you ask is simply just locking the separate devices to the reason devices you want them to play as l9ng as you have the interface to allow multi ins via midi or USB all good.
That'd be fantastic. At previous gigs I've had two synth players playing two separate synths through two separate Macs, running two separate copies of Reason …

cyberco

30 Nov 2015

Joerg wrote:Place both (or more) instruments into a combinator with a 6:2 Mixer. Then you can adjust the key range for each instrument in combinators programmer
That did the trick, thanks!

submonsterz

30 Nov 2015

cyberco wrote:
Joerg wrote:Place both (or more) instruments into a combinator with a 6:2 Mixer. Then you can adjust the key range for each instrument in combinators programmer
that is key range splitting of multi instruments not multiple instruments playing at once as in splitting the midi to several to all play at same time at once .
using the way I said with one note still better as it allows to play multiple combis not just stacked instruments in one combi if you want each to have better control etc and you can still use the programmer in each combi instrument to select range it plays on and goes straight to your mix inputs separately to the ssl. more scope imho.

cyberco

01 Dec 2015

submonsterz wrote:
cyberco wrote:
that is key range splitting of multi instruments not multiple instruments playing at once as in splitting the midi to several to all play at same time at once .
using the way I said with one note still better as it allows to play multiple combis not just stacked instruments in one combi if you want each to have better control etc and you can still use the programmer in each combi instrument to select range it plays on and goes straight to your mix inputs separately to the ssl. more scope imho.
I did overlap the key ranges of the instruments in the combinator, so I played all instruments at once. Your idea is indeed better if you want to play multiple combi's, but that's not what I needed at the moment. I likely will in the future so thanks for your great help!

• Information