No love for Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sinnerfire

18 Nov 2015

I found this over on the Audiosex forum?

https://audiosex.pro/threads/why-doesnt ... ove.21687/

I was really surprised when i read some of the comments? most of all, the bit where they keep referring to Reasons "thin sound"?

As a long time Reason user, i know from experience that Reason sounds as good (or bad) as the skill set of the producer using it, which could be said about any DAW.
https://drumandbassasylum.com/ Free Samples + Presets for Reason.

normen

18 Nov 2015

Because its the topic of that thread.

TheMiles

18 Nov 2015

Read through the topic and found most of what is said there to be insubstantial. E.g. there is no more dongle needed, your computer can be authorized. Even if (and i don't say thats the case) the Reason stock devices sound thin, there are a LOT of REs out there. Antidote sounds very well, KHs one has a very warm sound etc. etc., theres a lot of options to choose from.
I don't know other DAWs very well, but I know the stock devices bundled with other software are often lacking features and don't neccessarily have a good sound too. They usually provide just a basic range of possibilities and thats why we have plugins.

They also claim that REs are just VSTs made fit to the Rack, but thats bullshit. CV-Integration, universal undo, flexible audio routing and so on make REs unique and outstanding.

There is just one thing Reason is lacking and thats the possibility to create your own modular devices. I know thats a huge one and I know we have Combinators and IDT, but thats just not the same then creating your own Instrument from modules and simply load it to your DAW, but there is still a lot of room for the Props to improve. OK I gotta finish this now as I am in a hurry, bu thats my 2 cents for this topic...

Cheers!

joeyluck

18 Nov 2015

Sounds like non-Reason users trying to talk about Reason.
Not much of a Reason user presence to speak knowledge as there is no Reason forum to draw them there... Is that what is referred to as a catch 22?

selig
RE Developer

18 Nov 2015

It really sounds like most of them no longer use Reason because now you have to pay for it. There are of course some legit gripes, like there are with EVERY other choice. But the bottom line seems to be $$$ in some form (not saying it's not a legit gripe) - can't be cracked, can't use your existing plugins, can't share your existing libraries, etc.

The cynical side of me assumes this basically means (at least for some of them) that they can't use all the free cracks (DAW, Plugins, Samples) they CAN use with other systems.
;(
Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

18 Nov 2015

selig wrote:It really sounds like most of them no longer use Reason because now you have to pay for it. There are of course some legit gripes, like there are with EVERY other choice. But the bottom line seems to be $$$ in some form (not saying it's not a legit gripe) - can't be cracked, can't use your existing plugins, can't share your existing libraries, etc.

The cynical side of me assumes this basically means (at least for some of them) that they can't use all the free cracks (DAW, Plugins, Samples) they CAN use with other systems.
;(
People are bad. :(
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

EnochLight

18 Nov 2015

Some of the comments there are just silly - reminds me of the old PUF. Not so ironically, a former PUF'er there (Daniel Faraday) is claiming he was banned for making a suggestion. LMAO - nope. He was banned for being a proper troll.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

kitekrazy

18 Nov 2015

sinnerfire wrote:I found this over on the Audiosex forum?

https://audiosex.pro/threads/why-doesnt ... ove.21687/

I was really surprised when i read some of the comments? most of all, the bit where they keep referring to Reasons "thin sound"?

As a long time Reason user, i know from experience that Reason sounds as good (or bad) as the skill set of the producer using it, which could be said about any DAW.
As with any DAW this is usually an uneducated statement. Daw x sounds better than Daw y. These are often lame comments.

Alkua

18 Nov 2015

Those comments sound like pirate users. Maybe all of them love Reason 1-5. Reason from the begininh has better sound than any other music production software. One of the comment says "Reason use a old type sound called Refill" where a Refill it is just a "folder type" that could be open on reason, no a sound.

Even thought, I think the real competition that Reason has is Native Instrument no other DAW. If I decide to stop using Reason is because NI, because for recording and mixing, I could do it in any and have the same result.

DNA Apocalypse

18 Nov 2015

I would definitely have to conclude all of those reason haters are cheap and cannot afford to use the rock solid stability and crack proof versions of reason! It is simple, they are broke and probably don't have enough income to afford the software. In any case, reason only sounds thin when you make a thin beat, so he just told on himself about the thin sounding compositions! One guy even complained that the freeware vsts are all you need!! ha hahahaha ......I bet if reason was free/piratable/crackable these starving broke beat makers would praise Reason, instead they hate because they can't be a part of the musicians that invest in there career. Guess what timbaland uses reason...do his tracks sound thin.....nope......
I bet these are type of guys that download free beats from sound click and rap over them in a bedroom on a never-heard-of-mixtape instead of buying a beat or leasing a beat. It's really sad...........smh Rant over.
DNA-LABS-SOFTWARE.COM :reason: :refill: :re:

gak

18 Nov 2015

This thread is just rinse and repeat.

Hate/spread hate/some people make some sense/hate/props are evil

decibel

18 Nov 2015

most of those guys have probably only ever used reason 4, it is a pirate orientated community after all ;) lol

* i commented before reading earlier comments and now realize im not the only one to make this observation lol

Social Exodus

18 Nov 2015

That thread was actually over the top hilarious lol
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

willowman

18 Nov 2015

you are dead to me reason, you are a bunch of blind moles :lol:
Jez: "How long can it take to come up with 3 minutes of music?" Hans: "6 minutes max"
Jez: "That's being generous. That's 2 minutes per minute"

jamesearltones

19 Nov 2015

There are plenty of real criticisms to be made when talking about Reason. I didn't see any of them in that thread.

Marco Raaphorst

19 Nov 2015

I see no Reason to discuss it

avasopht
Competition Winner

19 Nov 2015

Alkua wrote:I think the real competition that Reason has is Native Instrument no other DAW. If I decide to stop using Reason is because NI, because for recording and mixing, I could do it in any and have the same result.
.^ This

Komplete Ultimate really does have everything, but thus far hasn't swayed me because of the rack integration and how it makes me feel free.

Bread and butter sounds presented in well organised folders would work a treat :)

MSD

19 Nov 2015

Someone says something about something, people who know little or nothing about the something in question pick it up and carry it with them. Whenever that something comes up they drop the thing they picked up and more people who know little or nothing pick it up.

Educating people who don't really care if they are right or wrong on a subject is usually a waste of your time, you might get angry and put in a good amount of time making multiple cases to multiple people, the net result of which will be that everyone leaves the conversation with nothing to show for their time. In future, when the same subject comes up they will say the same things they did before you took the time to show them that they are wrong.

I would just post links to commercial music made with Reason and then abandon thread, or just abandon thread without taking part at all, and go make some phat music.

Use something because you like it, other peoples approval is not required.
--
Noisemaker...

Thousand Ways

19 Nov 2015

The only concern is that those who might otherwise buy and use Reason will read junk about it online, then buy something else, without trying Reason. Reason, like any music software, needs new customers in order to keep going, and it would be better if potential customers weren't being put-off by this rubbish.

True

19 Nov 2015

MSD wrote:Educating people who don't really care if they are right or wrong on a subject is usually a waste of your time
This should be a poster on the walls of the Internet.

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

MSD wrote:I would just post links to commercial music made with Reason and then abandon thread, or just abandon thread without taking part at all, and go make some phat music.
I wish some one would do just that here not alone over on threads like that.
I'd love some one here to just post one thing that's been a mainstream commercial release using just reason .
Say anytime from with in say the last six years should give well enough time to go from.
Have seen many quote people who have but never after actually investigating have I found one claim to be true as the people who get quoted either just have it in thier collection of daws and use the odd sound from it like a sound module to another daw they actually use or to just arrange a few of the parts to export out again to another daw
Or just mix what they have done from other daws then export out to add what's missing in another daw.
I get asked a lot by people who uses it from start to finnish and not just as a sound module rewired etc for mainstream commercial tracks and I cannot find one at all.
Please some one post an artist that has had mainstream commercial releases from reason even if it's just up to mix stage then mastered externally elsewhere ... as all I've seen quoted I can't find anything that says that's what they did it has all ways entailed only using Reason for a small part of the creation process.
Please post one with evidence of some sort that it is the case reason was used for the entire production .
Cheers.

jonheal

19 Nov 2015

Not that commercial application has any bearing whatsoever on the validity of Reason as a platform for creating music and/or sound design, but you wished for a link, so here is one from another current thread:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/tod ... ack-573300
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

True

19 Nov 2015

Todd Rundgren has been the big name that produced an album exclusively in Reason, but IIRC the synths on that album sounded very cheesy. I doubt it did much to boost sales or change anyone's mind about Reason.

submonsterz

19 Nov 2015

jonheal wrote:Not that commercial application has any bearing whatsoever on the validity of Reason as a platform for creating music and/or sound design, but you wished for a link, so here is one from another current thread:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/tod ... ack-573300
When was his last mainstream commercial hit ??
And did it use reason ???.
http://www.billboard.com/artist/430059/ ... tion=false

Skullture

19 Nov 2015

selig wrote:It really sounds like most of them no longer use Reason because now you have to pay for it. There are of course some legit gripes, like there are with EVERY other choice. But the bottom line seems to be $$$ in some form (not saying it's not a legit gripe) - can't be cracked, can't use your existing plugins, can't share your existing libraries, etc.

;(
Most users have no respect for developers, it's a shame because no cash for dev teams means less interesting evolutions in the software.

• Information