What Features Subtractor has that other synths do not have?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Nov 2015

I noticed someone make mention of many requests for a VST equivalent of Subtractor due to some of the unique features.

Apart from inter device routing, what are its unique or most powerful features?

Tincture

10 Nov 2015

Well ... Another of these threads... :shock: ... The velocity section is nice. I like the phase difference knob, the +-0 methods of applying the two oscs but have no idea if any of this is unique. Thinking about it Subtractor rocks!

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Nov 2015

Tincture wrote:Well ... Another of these threads... :shock: ...
I like to think that 100 years from now it will be an everyday phrase ;)

"What Features Quantum Board has that other hoverboards do not have?"

Mark my wurds ;)

But seriously, I think it's useful to know what features we might be neglecting.

dioxide

11 Nov 2015

It's the oscillators that are unusual as they use Phase Offset Modulation:
Phase Offset Modulation

A unique feature of the Subtractor Synthesizer is the oscillator phase offset. By using this feature you can create complex waveforms by subtracting or multiplying a waveform with a phase offset copy of it self. Did that sound like gibberish? Well, let's take a look at how it works.

Each oscillator has its own phase offset setting and selector for waveform subtraction, multiplication or no phase offset modulation. When activated, the oscillator creates a second waveform of the same shape and offsets it to the amount set with the Phase knob and then subtracts or multiplies the two waveforms with each other.
Are there any VSTs that use this method?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_offset_modulation

• Information