Can we have Ableton Link please?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
electrofux

06 Nov 2015

For how long are people waiting for the perfect solution to sync different programs and devices?
Midi Clock wise it has never ever worked for me and i have tried hard, very hard.

And now Ableton comes around the croner with a system that syncs stuff over WiFi and from the videos it looks like it is the perfect solution i have waited for.
It comes with a free development kit and it doesnt need Live to work:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2015/ ... necessary/

So can we have this for Reason please?

:P

tiker01

06 Nov 2015

That would be great!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Raveshaper

07 Nov 2015

I do not know why, but innovation at this level is out of the loop on this platform. If I am wrong, please educate me.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Gaja

07 Nov 2015

Would be great to have!
Raveshaper, why so provokative? Had a bad day?
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Raveshaper

07 Nov 2015

I am fighting a stomach virus.

dioxide

07 Nov 2015

Raveshaper wrote:I do not know why, but innovation at this level is out of the loop on this platform. If I am wrong, please educate me.
It's pretty poor at the moment. I don't count Discover as innovation as it just seems like a quest to build another social network. Figure was innovative but development has stalled.

I'm not sure why PH didn't expand Rewire into iOS and hardware. It was an industry leading technology and if development had been sustained it would be taking the place of Link and things like Overbridge. I recall seeing an interview where Ernst talks about evergreen technology. Unfortunately this seems to underline a lot of the thinking at PH. They appear to think that if you create something then it is good for 20 years. Hence the halt in development of Recycle, ReBirth and Reason 1 devices, the Combinator.

Although I like the idea of evergreen technology, and PH have managed this a number of times, it isn't enough when you have active competition with technology that is as good or better than yours. I'd like to see PH step up to the challenge, which currently I don't think they are. They're deluding themselves that it doesn't matter because they are making inroads into mobile, but they aren't best in class in mobile like they were when Reason and Rebirth were released for desktop in mid90s to early00s.

dioxide

07 Nov 2015

Raveshaper wrote:I am fighting a stomach virus.
Best of luck, me also! I've been bad for 6 days now! No fun at all and I'm looking forward to being able to eat normally again!

Raveshaper

07 Nov 2015

I'm in agony right now so I won't be able to demonstrate my usual level of tact. But I just want to say that during the course of my work with Remote, I have found myself keeping track of innovations and tutorials for Live and having the same reaction: "well, that makes all this work obsolete."

I mean, playing around with spread sheets and text files instead of integrated mapping inside the GUI. Looking through PDFs to get some sort of clue as to what to do, only to find that what I'm specifically trying to accomplish requires me to figure it all out myself.

That's the biggest gripe I have. The fact that I discovered there was no technical documentation in-depth enough to guide me through how to do what I've built so far. I mean, simply because the implementation I have chosen doesn't make sense in terms of the original vision of the technology's developers, they never documented its capabilities from the vantage point required to build stuff in a dynamic and adaptive sort of way.

In short, I'm sick, I'm throwing a tantrum, I want a more future forward developer friendly platform, and being more knowledgeable than the makers of a technology makes me feel like there is no plan going forward. I'm done, going back to sipping juice.

dioxide

07 Nov 2015

I agree that Remote developer support is dismally bad. I've some experience hacking together Remote maps and as someone who just wants to be a user I wish it were simple to edit maps as often the manufacturer maps are made by people who don't use the software.

I have my suspicions that PH see Remote as being 'evergreen' which basically means we have to watch the wheels fall off it over the next 5 years as support for various things get dropped ala Recycle and Rebirth.

dioxide

07 Nov 2015

To my knowledge the developer PDFs aren't up to date. Even the Remote webpage wasn't up to date until a month ago!! How much effort does it take to edit a webpage? Nektar's controllers weren't added to that list until October of this year despite being available since Q1 2012!

In a word: dismal.

moneykube

07 Nov 2015

a holy wombat is watching and making notes...his fur will reconcile all problems and will make all this possible because at this time the stars are aligned ... and no unicorns have been killed today... hail oh mighty wombat... make it so
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Raveshaper

07 Nov 2015

Dioxide, this is not so much as a thing with wheels and more like a sled. Some kind of thing that is dragged.

dioxide

07 Nov 2015

Raveshaper wrote:Dioxide, this is not so much as a thing with wheels and more like a sled. Some kind of thing that is dragged.
Or maybe a car that's wheels have already fallen off and is skidding down the road only from its previous momentum.

Raveshaper

07 Nov 2015

My final bed-ridden sickly thing to yell randomly: can we get a discount code for migrating to Live? Please?!

gak

07 Nov 2015

Last edited by gak on 07 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.

submonsterz

07 Nov 2015

gak wrote:Although I have much sympathy for Raveshaper and being sick, I do not understand this thread in the slightest.
Maybe look at thread title and as I have seen you post else where saying your basically a guitar drums guy (me taking that you use reason mainly to record and sequence in house)and synths technology come last etc.... I'd maybe go Google all about ableton link. And then you'd understand what it is and then you can educate yourself on how reason works and how it manages things. Then I'm shure it would make perfect sense what they are talking about and also open your eyes that people need and want things users like you do not as you use the program from what I can tell in a very basic way compared to many other users. But just take note at as a basic user if or when you spread your little wings into the realms of anything a bit more basic use of reason then other programs might just do it better or can do what reason either fails at or they eliminate the need to go from a basic implementation given to a basic user in comparison to having to have a PhD in rocket science in reason to achieve or even to find can't be done in reason because of the way it's given to you or props just don't improve or go forward with it and do nothing with old technology.....

electrofux

07 Nov 2015

This thread derailed a bit to the Remote side of things, which actually has nothing to do with this Link technology.

But i understand the suspicions, that this will come up in Reason.

Imho Props usually want to develop solutions for themselves. The thing is when they come up with it, they initially have something very very sophisticated. Rewire, Rex even Remote are examples. When they came to the market they were top notch. They do things right from the start, so that it can stand out for many years. But they seem to be late at realizing when it is time to expand on it, add features that have become necessary in the meantime.
That may have to do with limited ressources and if your ressources are limited it is probably the best thing to develop something that is good from the start so that you dont have to care about it so much after release and concentrate on you main technology.

But honestly syncing stuff is something like the holy grail. Props knew this from the start and that was probably one of the reasons they developed Rewire as it is. But now Reason is more open to outside gear (which it wasnt for many many years) and there are apps even their own apps like figure and Thor. And this stuff needs to be synced to Reason.
And apart from costly hardware options there is no reliable way to do it. Midi Clock just doesnt cut it. Everyone knows this. In the App world everything has to be a one click operation, so forcing the user to use a host with Link-technology and Rewire Reason to that and so on shouldnt be considered an option (i hope so at least).

T.G.

07 Nov 2015

this would be great! In both the apps side of props and in reason itself.

If native instruments can get on with their competition and release nks with the likes of arturia on board - one of their biggest competitors - and they are doing various deals for existing customers on arturia products! Then, I would hope to see props adopt this even though ableton would traditionally be seen as a competitive rival.

Here's hoping!

p.s. get well soon ravershaper!

raccoonboy

07 Nov 2015

Not sure why Ableton is implimenting stuff like sync over WIFI when they can't even get a propper sync working. Ableton as slave to a piece of MIDI hardware is absolutely terrible and unusable, the tempo fluctuates all over the place.

gak

07 Nov 2015

submonsterz wrote:
gak wrote:Although I have much sympathy for Raveshaper and being sick, I do not understand this thread in the slightest.
Maybe look at thread title and as I have seen you post else where saying your basically a guitar drums guy (me taking that you use reason mainly to record and sequence in house)and synths technology come last etc.... I'd maybe go Google all about ableton link. And then you'd understand what it is and then you can educate yourself on how reason works and how it manages things. Then I'm shure it would make perfect sense what they are talking about and also open your eyes that people need and want things users like you do not as you use the program from what I can tell in a very basic way compared to many other users. But just take note at as a basic user if or when you spread your little wings into the realms of anything a bit more basic use of reason then other programs might just do it better or can do what reason either fails at or they eliminate the need to go from a basic implementation given to a basic user in comparison to having to have a PhD in rocket science in reason to achieve or even to find can't be done in reason because of the way it's given to you or props just don't improve or go forward with it and do nothing with old technology.....
What a jerk!

Gaja

08 Nov 2015

get well soon raveshaper and dioxide!
Cheers!
Fredhoven

submonsterz

08 Nov 2015

gak wrote:
submonsterz wrote:
What a jerk!
Sorry not my fault you didn't understand the topic subject enough to get a grasp on its contents . Was only trying to point out in a helpful way to how you could educate yourself in the topic and be able to fully understand what was being presented by the other users here.
If you did understand the topic you would have known it's a totally valid full of sense thread.

• Information