Question about automation lanes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
X1Lo

05 Nov 2015

I have often wanted to draw curves or other shapes in the automation lanes, but have never seen an option or feature to do so. I am currently using 7 and was wondering if 8 was capable of doing this. I used to do this in FL studio years ago before switching to Reason 6 and have missed that capability. Am I just grossly overlooking something?
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

ScuzzyEye

05 Nov 2015

It's an often asked for feature, but even with version 8, Reason is limited to drawing linear automation.

gak

05 Nov 2015

But, it's still better than 90% of the hosts I've used. Most of the time, automation is cumbersome and tough to get through, not to mention fiddly and cheesy with the drawing pencil. Reason is pretty much "is what it is" but does that well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have automation curves and the like but in reality unless you have no editing skills at all, it's not necessary.

MannequinRaces

05 Nov 2015

If you set automaton cleanup to minimum in the preferences when you draw automation you'll get more points, which equals a more realistic curve… if you have good penmanship! I know, not the same as having predefined shapes.

Digitus

05 Nov 2015

Sometimes I think Props omits such things deliberately so they can add them later as incentives for upgrading.
Curves for automation should be there already. Could it really be that difficult to allow click dragging
of segments into curves? And don't get me started on Re's and notes to track! What the bleep is up with that? :roll:

In the meantime, this toolkit from James Bernard might be of help...Bernard's Automation Toolkit

*Sour puss mode off* Image

gak

05 Nov 2015

MannequinRaces wrote:If you set automaton cleanup to minimum in the preferences when you draw automation you'll get more points, which equals a more realistic curve… if you have good penmanship! I know, not the same as having predefined shapes.
Sorry, should have said that. But let's not forget, even with the cleanup, it's not crap.

• Information