What Features others DAWs has and Reason Does not have?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Alkua

03 Nov 2015

Even thought you don't like or need a particular feature, but at least that feature is available in another DAW.

I can say:

- Strip Silence
- Pitch Corrector graph mode
- Fade Curves and Cross fade on the sequencer
- Freeze track

PLEASE, don't say VST support.

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Nov 2015

crash prone,
overly technical or pretty, yet pointless time wasting features that don't help make better music,
street cred among kids who have never released a single record (or even Bandcamp album).

oh and video support

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Tincture

03 Nov 2015

Yup, listen to Benedict.
Last edited by Tincture on 03 Nov 2015, edited 2 times in total.

pjeudy

03 Nov 2015

Benedict wrote: 1.crash prone,
2.overly technical or pretty,
3.yet pointless time wasting features that don't help make better music,
4.street cred among kids who have never released a single record (or even Bandcamp album).

oh and video support

1. Automatic or save often
2 that's not a bad thing! Many REASON user try to complicate things with many patching an CV routing that doesn't look pretty
3. Pointless? Doesn't it depend on the type of project one is making? a DAW that ships with Many creative tools is a DAW that's showing it's flexibility and options for a variety of Musicians.
4.......? That's to easy :lol:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

pjeudy

03 Nov 2015

Alkua wrote:Even thought you don't like or need a particular feature, but at least that feature is available in another DAW.

I can say:

- Strip Silence
- Pitch Corrector graph mode
- Fade Curves and Cross fade on the sequencer
- Freeze track

PLEASE, don't say VST support.
On the OP's point, I would say VS...? dam it... Never Mind.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

MannequinRaces

03 Nov 2015

1) Punch in / punch out
2) Track markers
3) Clip launching
4) A dedicated granular synth

gak

04 Nov 2015

X fade mentioning is a big one. Punch in out is a big one. Markers is a big one. Auto save is a good one.

Obligatory "drag drop midi FFS JC OMG" :lol: (that's just bad)

The freeze mentioning is also a good one, but let's be realistic, it works like ASS in most hosts.

True

04 Nov 2015

Stronger wave editing capabilities.

dioxide

04 Nov 2015

• Clip triggering
• Wide support among manufacturers for MIDI controllers. The Remote list looks like something from 2004.

chimp_spanner

04 Nov 2015

I'm not too fussed about Reason matching other DAWs feature for feature. Different software for different jobs. There are some small changes that'd make working in Reason exclusively easier though.

Real time MIDI modifiers (transpose, velocity compression, position randomisation, etc.)
Track and rack folders
Bounce part to audio
MP3 export
Crossfading

Just the little extra finishing touches that it feels like R8 could do with :) Or R9.

marcuswitt

04 Nov 2015

AAF import/export
VCA faders
latency compensation
crossfades between overlapping audio regions
automation modes (touch, latch, trim, range, etc.)
support of X.n surround sound formats
track view selector/filter within the mixer
track folders in the sequencer
video support incl. support of external video hardware

ljekio

04 Nov 2015

1. track offset time +/-
2. comp mode midi record

Creativemind

04 Nov 2015

There are lots of features that don't necessarily make your tracks sound better but are needed for workflow and to save time etc that Reason would benefit from having. Let's not focus entirely on better music making things and forget that we also need things that save time, save your file (like autosave) and make life easier and less time consuming, as well as tools that also help you be more creative and make better music. :-)

I'd say:-

Like Logic

A Flex Edit type feature for Audio
an Undo Events list
Chord Display
Punch In/Out Markers
Timeline Markers
Score Sheets
Notepad / Notes sections in Sequencer Rack and Mixer
an Undo Events list
BPM Calculator for Imported Audio
The ability to adjust levels on the mixer in relation to each other when channels are linked (or highlighted blue)
a Phase or Stereo to Mono Compatibility Meter
a test Oscillator like Logic

Like Abelton

Harmony to Midi
Folding down of the Midi Editor Button
Trigger Notes While Editing Button in Midi Editor + Display Notes on Notes and Display Notes on Piano Keys Buttons

Like FL Studio

Midi Editing - Being able to see other ghosted sections or Onion Skins
Shaded rows when you press a key/s on your midi controller
Mirror Copy
Chord Painting

I'd also like to see an extra tool in the tools section, that enables you to (like FL Studio) drag audio or midi clips by right clicking said clip, and dragging / moving to the right in the sequencer lane and it copies the clip for as long as you hold it. I'd also go further on that one and have it have it's own settings box where you can set the copy steps, like say, "directly after the clip before (whatever you'd call that), every bar, every 1/16th, every 1/4, every 1/8th, every 1/16th" and also have it work with midi notes in the midi editor too in the same manner. Would come in very handy for snare rolls and be excellent for vocal stuttering effects with audio in the sequencer.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Alkua

04 Nov 2015

ljekio wrote:1. track offset time +/-
2. comp mode midi record
Can you explain track offset time +/-?

because I was thinking a function like that to make delay compensation, where you can offset the whole track.

ljekio

04 Nov 2015

Alkua wrote: Can you explain track offset time +/-?

because I was thinking a function like that to make delay compensation, where you can offset the whole track.
Automatic delay compensation isn't trivial function, it's set of activities.
But track offset is much simpler for realization and it covers most of the needs of management compensation with audio and midi latencies.

(like at Cubase's Track Delay on the screen below)
Attachments
manualoffset.png
manualoffset.png (3.94 KiB) Viewed 2780 times

Alkua

04 Nov 2015

ljekio wrote:
Alkua wrote: Can you explain track offset time +/-?

Automatic delay compensation isn't trivial function, it's set of activities.
But track offset is much simpler for realization and it covers most of the needs of management compensation with audio and midi latencies.

(like at Cubase's Track Delay on the screen below)
That's Good!

Stranger.

04 Nov 2015

The list i could provide might be embarrassing for Reason users...sigh-- come on PH-get with the programme :p

sdst
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2015

molecular ultraviolet synthesizer

space blender machine

and much more molecular

submonsterz

04 Nov 2015

Too many to list without running a whole page for one thread answer .........

Creativemind

04 Nov 2015

Yeah there is about 80 features be honest. What I listed was about a quarter of what's needed. We'll be waiting till at least Reason 10 me thinks for them all.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

CharlyCharlzz

04 Nov 2015

Benedict wrote:crash prone,
overly technical or pretty, yet pointless time wasting features that don't help make better music,
street cred among kids who have never released a single record (or even Bandcamp album).

oh and video support

this comment is from 2003 ?!!?
so fare Props keep adding all the feature peoples are asking for, that is how they make money with updates insted of having everybody on R4 cracks .
I am shure a lot of users keep using R4 and do great music with it but Props got nothing to win with these guys.
I am shure you have grêat suggestions for reason 9 and I wonder what they are ?!?! Also I want video edit ....now explain to me what is funny about it ?!?! Oooh yhea and no album on Band Camp but you know what most peoples dont care about that , you should learn to respect other peoples opinions IMO because you are no special GURU !
if you think this way then stay out of the TOPIC , it is stated in the RULES OF REASON TALK and I advise you to fallow them .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

gak

04 Nov 2015

Um, I think he was being sarcastic is a funny "haha" way (and I do understand where it's coming from)

But hey, maybe you were too........I dunno. Still haven't won the lottery so no way to fly you all in so we can better understand each other w/o that dreaded internet! :mrgreen:

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Nov 2015

Thanks Gak

Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

JNeffLind

04 Nov 2015

One thing I kind of envy about other DAWs is being able to see automation lines drawn directly over a waveform or set of midi data as opposed to in a separate lane below it. Especially if one automates a few things on each track it can make for a lot of scrolling and of course if you minimize the automation lanes to minimize clutter then you can't see the automation. Not really a hindrance as far as performance, just a little workflow pet peeve I have.

ljekio

05 Nov 2015

One thing I kind of envy about other DAWs is being able to see automation lines drawn directly over a waveform or set of midi data as opposed to in a separate lane below it. Especially if one automates a few things on each track it can make for a lot of scrolling and of course if you minimize the automation lanes to minimize clutter then you can't see the automation. Not really a hindrance as far as performance, just a little workflow pet peeve I have.
I think separately automation lanes in the Reason is powerful and useful feature.
And you always can use "Record automation into note clip" function :)

• Information