Reason SSL, meet your father…

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2015

Had a chance to grab a shot of Reason's SSL mixer next to the real deal, couldn't resist:
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

29 Oct 2015

Lol, nice. It somehow looks like the MacBook is leaning over to take a look xD

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2015

Good one! ;)
normen wrote:Lol, nice. It somehow looks like the MacBook is leaning over to take a look xD

Selig Audio, LLC

4filegate

29 Oct 2015

No, I am your father. :thumbs_up:

Marco Raaphorst

29 Oct 2015

which one sounded better? :D

Exowildebeest

29 Oct 2015

Visually a pretty thing, and a wonder of electronic engineering of course, but... I'm not jealous! It seems bulky, unwieldy to work with, not to mention so many parts that can break and the dust...

No, give me the virtual thing any day :D

PS does the hardware have "proper" panning? ;)

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:which one sounded better? :D
Define "better"… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

29 Oct 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:Visually a pretty thing, and a wonder of electronic engineering of course, but... I'm not jealous! It seems bulky, unwieldy to work with, not to mention so many parts that can break and the dust...

No, give me the virtual thing any day :D

PS does the hardware have "proper" panning? ;)
Hardware only has mono panning, so yes!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

29 Oct 2015

selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:which one sounded better? :D
Define "better"… ;)
I don't have a clue. I think size matters. Laptop + Reason = ok :)

jonheal

29 Oct 2015

I guess SSLs come from a patriarchal society. :puf_smile:
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

gak

29 Oct 2015

Cool!

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Oct 2015

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
selig wrote:
Define "better"… ;)
I don't have a clue. I think size matters. Laptop + Reason = ok :)
All depends on whether you'd like to get down and dirty with the real thing or drool over the massive racks on your screen :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

JerrelTheKing

01 Nov 2015

Has anyone done a head to head comparison between our Reason SSL and the Waves SSL?

dana

01 Nov 2015

Imagine someone made a midi/usb controller for the reason ssl mixer based on the original!

Ostermilk

01 Nov 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:Has anyone done a head to head comparison between our Reason SSL and the Waves SSL?
Yep, the obvious difference is that the Waves one doesn't load into Reason.

I don't have the Waves one though so I can't compare them in other respects, I DO however have the UAD 2 ones and will use either depending on where I end up mixing, so what particular aspects do you want compared?

Having said all that I personally prefer the dynamics section on the UAD 2 as I seem to be able to get the gate to release smoother than on the Reason one and there's something about the initial attack I like on the UAD's compressor as well, whether that's 'better' or not is debatable as it's just a preference I have, the fact that the Reason one just pops up in-iine on every track I open is a huge time saving plus though.

Neither of them makes my mixes sound appreciably 'better' or 'worse' all by themselves that part is usually down the mixing choices I make with the tools that are in front of me.

See post 7 for clarification... :puf_smile: If the OP isn't going to make claims on the real one vs its virtual offspring I'm certainly not going be claiming one virtual one vs another as being 'better' although as with most comparisons there are pro's and con's where we have to decide for ourselves the best fit for our individual purposes.

JerrelTheKing

01 Nov 2015

@Ostermilk thanks for that. That answer probably applies to the Waves SSL too. I was mainly focusing on more true to the sound of the "Father". We know Reason looks most like him but what emu child behaves most like him...

Ostermilk

01 Nov 2015

JerrelTheKing wrote:@Ostermilk thanks for that. That answer probably applies to the Waves SSL too. I was mainly focusing on more true to the sound of the "Father". We know Reason looks most like him but what emu child behaves most like him...
Well my kids likely would say of their Father that he's cumbersome, behaves like a dinosaur, emits odd smells and noises, and smokes occasionally but they still love him despite all that.

:D

MSD

02 Nov 2015

I wonder if he has spiders in his rack?
--
Noisemaker...

• Information