Little 'eureka!' moments with Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aquila

29 Oct 2015

How often have you found yourself going about certain tasks the hard way for ages when all of a sudden it dawns on you there's been a better way all along?

For me, despite having used Reason for years, it just occurred to me that insert chains are actually combinators, particularly the master insert, and that their controls have been on the SSL mixer all this time!
For years I've had an M-Class Stereo Imager in the master chain to preview a mono mix and have been scrolling to the top of my rack to enable/disable the device, when all of a sudden it dawned on me I could've programmed one of the insert buttons right above the master fader on the SSL mixer to do just that! D'OH!!!

I'm curious to know if any of you have suddenly been enlightened by a feature that you never knew about which instantly made your job easier?

motuscott

29 Oct 2015

Almost every time I fire it up I learn or reremember something. Key commands are constantly evaporating in spite of a 2 page cheat sheet that sits on my desk.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

philosurfer

31 Oct 2015

wait till you get into paralleling... ;-)

mrj1nx

31 Oct 2015

philosurfer wrote:wait till you get into paralleling... ;-)
Wanna share your best way of parallell processing? The spider/routing way is getting a bit tedious :) I also tried a way with bus routing, but that led to the mute/solo buttons on the mixer not really working very well since when you split the signal, it doesnt identify all the cascading channels that also need to be soloed etc...

raymondh

31 Oct 2015

For me recently it has been the CTRL left-click and the ALT left-click to set the left and right markers in the sequencer window.

Saved all that time zooming and scrolling to find out where the little markers were hiding! :)

Fretless Fingers

31 Oct 2015

raymondh wrote:For me recently it has been the CTRL left-click and the ALT left-click to set the left and right markers in the sequencer window.

Saved all that time zooming and scrolling to find out where the little markers were hiding! :)
You know you can also click the actual "L" or "R" buttons in the sequencer to jump the play head and focus to your left and right markers
:reason: v10 :record: :recycle: :refill: :re: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :ignition:
reason-expert.com Author, video maker, producer

philosurfer

31 Oct 2015

mrj1nx wrote:
Wanna share your best way of parallell processing? The spider/routing way is getting a bit tedious :) I also tried a way with bus routing, but that led to the mute/solo buttons on the mixer not really working very well since when you split the signal, it doesnt identify all the cascading channels that also need to be soloed etc...
In Reason 7+ you can do it in the ssl mixer... just right click mixer channel and "Create parallel channel" prepare to blow your mind.

see below for an example.

satyr32

31 Oct 2015

in the video, what is the benefit of this parallel processing example instead of just eqing the lows and highs. wouldn't be the result the same? thanks
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

gak

31 Oct 2015

philosurfer wrote:
mrj1nx wrote:
In Reason 7+ you can do it in the ssl mixer... just right click mixer channel and "Create parallel channel" prepare to blow your mind.

see below for an example.
Hi, my name is gak. I'm retarded.......

How did I know know about this!?? :x :x :x

gak

31 Oct 2015

Wait, the parallel channel thing has phase issues. I'll investigate further.....

kloeckno

31 Oct 2015

gak wrote:Wait, the parallel channel thing has phase issues. I'll investigate further.....
Only if you use FX with latency. Zero latency devices work perfectly, and Normen Hansen's VMG can compensate for almost all devices with latency. The exception would be with FX that don't have a consistent delay, but I don't know of any off the top of my head.

Tincture

31 Oct 2015

I can think of many of the buffer creative fx that have variable delays... plus some that vary with settings. Quite a few actually.

raymondh

01 Nov 2015

Fretless Fingers wrote:
raymondh wrote:For me recently it has been the CTRL left-click and the ALT left-click to set the left and right markers in the sequencer window.

You know you can also click the actual "L" or "R" buttons in the sequencer to jump the play head and focus to your left and right markers

No I didn't know that! I'd never noticed those buttons after all this time haha! Thanks!

RhysHuntley89

01 Nov 2015

raymondh wrote:
Fretless Fingers wrote:

No I didn't know that! I'd never noticed those buttons after all this time haha! Thanks!
Haha! I never knew they were buttons either! The CTRL/ALT left-click trick is also news to me - this is an awesome addition to my workflow.

There's always new stuff to learn within Reason; I love that about it.

• Information