Beginner: Snap doesn't work

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
doksan

22 Oct 2015

Sorry, i am aware this sound silly but i can't find the way to snap work as i want. I set snap 16 notes, i can't move note to the measure. I am definitely missing something but what?
Attachments
snap.JPG
snap.JPG (59.51 KiB) Viewed 718 times

selig
RE Developer

22 Oct 2015

Snap is "relative". If the note is a few ticks off the grid, then moving it with snap will retain that offset. What you are expecting is a quantize when moving notes. If this is what you need, then simply quantize the note in question. Make sense?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

doksan

22 Oct 2015

Ok, you got it but this is not the behavior other daws do. I think i should be able to pull that note with a drag. Now i need to select and press ctrl+k

Thanks for the answer

selig
RE Developer

22 Oct 2015

doksan wrote:Ok, you got it but this is not the behavior other daws do. I think i should be able to pull that note with a drag. Now i need to select and press ctrl+k

Thanks for the answer
Other DAWs DO work this way, but ALSO allow "snap to grid". In Pro Tools for example there are two grid modes, "relative" (like Reason) and the newer "absolute" (like what you want). Again, what you are doing in this mode is quantizing, and that's a feature that's already available - just select the note and instead of dragging to the line hit command-K (assuming you have the quantize setting as you want it). It's an example of a minor limitation, but certainly not something that you can't do another way, unlike auto-punch (as one example). ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

gak

22 Oct 2015

BTW, I hope you are "given' 'em hell harry" about that auto punch as an insider!

Creativemind

23 Oct 2015

Yeah highlight individual notes, or box the whole lot and then quantize. They will then (once quantized) move to the lines of the grid (snap to grid) if that's what you're after. I am understanding you correctly aren't I?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

OldSchoolSkunk

23 Oct 2015

You can also make sure that QRecord is highlighted.. in the transport bar it will Quantize the notes as you play them while recording.. to the closest snap value.

gak

24 Oct 2015

In fact, I do that. Why? Because with reasons EXCELLENT groove options, I can fix that later. I used to just have those groove options up front, but there were some weird issues (sometimes the "kick" not starting when I should.

Frankly, with the exception of "live" I've had this issue for a while. When REALLY FOCUSING on my timing with the click, I can tell I'm off. The quantize compensates for my suckyness and then if I want to groove, just select that and go from there.

• Information