Simple USB audio card for Reason 8 (13" MacBook Pro)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
audiomidiman

21 Oct 2015

Trying to get back to writing in reason after a several year break and need some help. Went from Reason 4.x to 8.x a few days ago. Haven't really dug into it other than I know my 2014 i7 MacBook Pro seems to be running Reason 8 just fine (Hope it runs fine on my 27" C2D iMac). Even my Evolution 425C USB/Midi controller seems to be working (yay)... So, the next step is to grab a small inexpensive sound card in order to get audio in (as needed) and audio out and looking for some options. Not looking for a bunch of inputs.. Just something simple and clean sounding. I'm taking baby steps. Went from Cubase SX2, Reason and tons of external gear to Reason, controller, powered monitors and a couple of Midi/Audio toys (K2000, Frostwave filter, PhatBoy Midi controller and my Alesis32 Mixer). Just want to keep everything simple.

So, what would you guys recommend I start looking at as far as a small inexpensive sound card? Thanks very much.

Bill

chimp_spanner

21 Oct 2015

What's your budget? I can only really recommend what I've used. The Yamaha/Steinberg UR-22 is a great card. Enough inputs and outputs to future-proof yourself a little but not so many that you don't know what to do with them. That's what my girlfriend uses. I have the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, which is a little more well spec'd I/O wise, but not a million miles from the UR-22. Both are under £200 brand new and offer great low-latency performance.

SteveDiverse

21 Oct 2015

The Focusrite Scarlett series is pretty good for the price (Solo $99, 2i2 $149)

They're all based on the same circuits, the higher models have more inputs and preamps

http://www.sweetwater.com/c682--Focusri ... s/low2high
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

selig
RE Developer

21 Oct 2015

SteveDiverse wrote:The Focusrite Scarlett series is pretty good for the price (Solo $99, 2i2 $149)

They're all based on the same circuits, the higher models have more inputs and preamps

I can second the recordation for the 2i2 which I use at my girlfriend's setup when visiting. It's been perfect for what we needed, small but with all the essential features and 100% reliable with Reason. Logic, and Native Instruments. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

jonheal

21 Oct 2015

selig wrote:
SteveDiverse wrote:The Focusrite Scarlett series is pretty good for the price (Solo $99, 2i2 $149)

I can second the recordation for the 2i2 which I use at my girlfriend's setup when visiting. It's been perfect for what we needed, small but with all the essential features and 100% reliable with Reason. Logic, and Native Instruments. :)
I got that sucka, too.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Eagleizer

25 Oct 2015

audiomidiman wrote:Trying to get back to writing in reason after a several year break and need some help. Went from Reason 4.x to 8.x a few days ago. Haven't really dug into it other than I know my 2014 i7 MacBook Pro seems to be running Reason 8 just fine (Hope it runs fine on my 27" C2D iMac). Even my Evolution 425C USB/Midi controller seems to be working (yay)... So, the next step is to grab a small inexpensive sound card in order to get audio in (as needed) and audio out and looking for some options. Not looking for a bunch of inputs.. Just something simple and clean sounding. I'm taking baby steps. Went from Cubase SX2, Reason and tons of external gear to Reason, controller, powered monitors and a couple of Midi/Audio toys (K2000, Frostwave filter, PhatBoy Midi controller and my Alesis32 Mixer). Just want to keep everything simple.

So, what would you guys recommend I start looking at as far as a small inexpensive sound card? Thanks very much.

Bill
You get Softube Time and Tone bundle with Scarlett and a couple of other Focusrite products atm.
Softube bundle alone is worth $198.

http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... arlett-2i2

I have 2i4 and very happy with it.

Cheers :)

sonicbyte

26 Oct 2015

Do you know if Scarlett Solo manage MIDI via the USB cable (To use in Reason) ?

SteveDiverse

26 Oct 2015

sonicbyte wrote:Do you know if Scarlett Solo manage MIDI via the USB cable (To use in Reason) ?
It is an audio interface only - no MIDI

You already mentioned your USB controller works, so you don't need another midi solution, unless you have another controller that does not have usb - in which case, you can get a simple midi cable interface.
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

audiomidiman

13 Nov 2015

Thanks guys!!! As far as the Scarlett… Is there something else that you guys would recommend that has stereo in? I do have a K2000… I have an overkill MOTU midi interface I will most likely be selling… It would be nice to get a simple USB audio card with MIDI in and MIDI out, one set of stereo in’s and stereo out for my powered M-Audio monitors. I’d like to spend $100-$150 but could go up a little more if needed. Just don’t want to go hardware crazy like I did in the past… Not because I don’t like hardware… Just want to keep everything in reason for writing… My Evolution 425 midi controller works great… However, I might want to play with my K2000 on and off “just because”…

I’m also looking for some decent headphones… Nothing over $100… Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Bill

tronam

13 Nov 2015

audiomidiman wrote:Thanks guys!!! As far as the Scarlett… Is there something else that you guys would recommend that has stereo in? I do have a K2000… I have an overkill MOTU midi interface I will most likely be selling… It would be nice to get a simple USB audio card with MIDI in and MIDI out, one set of stereo in’s and stereo out for my powered M-Audio monitors. I’d like to spend $100-$150 but could go up a little more if needed. Just don’t want to go hardware crazy like I did in the past… Not because I don’t like hardware… Just want to keep everything in reason for writing… My Evolution 425 midi controller works great… However, I might want to play with my K2000 on and off “just because”…

I’m also looking for some decent headphones… Nothing over $100… Any recommendations?

Thank you.
Bill
Steinberg/Yamaha UR22. It's right in your price range and includes MIDI I/O. The MKii was just announced as well which includes class compliant drivers and native loopback support, a very useful feature (particularly for Reason users).
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

audiomidiman

13 Nov 2015

tronam wrote:
audiomidiman wrote:Thanks guys!!! As far as the Scarlett… Is there something else that you guys would recommend that has stereo in? I do have a K2000… I have an overkill MOTU midi interface I will most likely be selling… It would be nice to get a simple USB audio card with MIDI in and MIDI out, one set of stereo in’s and stereo out for my powered M-Audio monitors. I’d like to spend $100-$150 but could go up a little more if needed. Just don’t want to go hardware crazy like I did in the past… Not because I don’t like hardware… Just want to keep everything in reason for writing… My Evolution 425 midi controller works great… However, I might want to play with my K2000 on and off “just because”…

Thank you.
Bill
Steinberg/Yamaha UR22. It's right in your price range and includes MIDI I/O. The MKii was just announced as well which includes class compliant drivers and native loopback support, a very useful feature (particularly for Reason users).
I'll check it out... thanks.

What about the Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2 USB Recording Interface?

audiomidiman

14 Nov 2015

Yamaha/Steinberg UR-22 ... What's the advantage of the MKII over the original? The UR-22 seems like it would fit my needs perfect and see it as low as $120-$150.00... I like the MKII ability to attach to an iPad... Pretty slick.

audiomidiman

15 Nov 2015

Ordered the UR22 mkii from B&H who is the only one who seems to have stock... $149 which is pretty much the same price as the original everywhere. Hope I'm happy with it!!! :)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... b_2_0.html

Grabbed a pair of Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone from Amazon as well.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Nov 2015

this has all you need and is super cheap http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i ... arlett-2i4

• Information