Reason 8.3.1 Released

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ScuzzyEye

29 Sep 2015

Just started up Reason 8, and was prompted to download an update. It's now showing version 8.3.1.

Checked the release notes, but they haven't been updated yet.
https://www.propellerheads.se/reason/up ... ease-notes

It's probably to deal with the poor performance of the RV7000 MkII convolution on Windows with small buffer sizes. But they might have snuck a few more things in.

MDTerps2015

29 Sep 2015

Im actually looking for what in this update and cant find it anywhere.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

joeyluck

29 Sep 2015

I bet this update is nothing but a social experiment to see how many users update not knowing what the update includes or fixes =P

jonheal

29 Sep 2015

I updated and I noticed when I stepped on the scale a few minutes later—10 pounds lighter! FANTASTIC!!!
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

joeyluck

29 Sep 2015

jonheal wrote:I updated and I noticed when I stepped on the scale a few minutes later—10 pounds lighter! FANTASTIC!!!
Thanks for the tip—gotta check that out!

motuscott

29 Sep 2015

I updated and my hard drive is now a portal to another dimension.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EnochLight

29 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:I bet this update is nothing but a social experiment to see how many users update not knowing what the update includes or fixes =P
I bet that you're wrong. =P

I'd recommend that users on Windows who like running their audio card at low latencies and sample rates give RV7000 MK2 another spin. Much better performance on my machine, at least. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

29 Sep 2015

motuscott wrote:I updated and my hard drive is now a portal to another dimension.
I got this as well at first, but then the portal closed... Not sure how to get it back open. I quit and restarted Reason, but to no avail has the portal reopened. Thanks, Propellerhead...

miscend

29 Sep 2015

Dont notice anything different on my end.

LudvigC
Reason Studios

29 Sep 2015

Hey,

we had some web-related issues with the Release Notes page. It will be up soonish, but here's the fixlist for 8.3.1 :

• Added new FFT library under Windows. This will vastly improve performance of RV7000 in convolution mode, as well as other native devices and Rack Extensions that use FFT.
• Fixed a bug where automated RV7000 convolution parameters could sound different in exported audio compared to playback.
• Fixed a bug where RV7000 convolution settings could give unwanted aliasing artefacts.
• Fixed a bug where the length of the audio recording could sometimes be wrong, if an audio clip was transposed with stretch disabled.
• Fixed a bug where under some specific circumstances, placing a send effect within an insert fx container could cause Reason to crash.
• Added Remote support for Korg taktile and TRITON taktile series.

/ LudvigC

gak

29 Sep 2015

I thought reason was dead?

(snicker snicker)

Anyhow, I don't know what FFT is in this context.

Exowildebeest

29 Sep 2015

I assume it's the Fast Fourier Transform?

Sounds like good news :)

gak

29 Sep 2015

I find this hard to believe but the cpu use seems to be noticeably better working with the exact same things I did yesterday. Of course it's cooler this morning than it's been in a while and maybe my CPU just isn't fighting the heat.

michal22

29 Sep 2015

LudvigC wrote: • Added Remote support for Korg taktile and TRITON taktile series.
/ LudvigC
Finally. Thanks :)
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

EnochLight

29 Sep 2015

gak wrote:I find this hard to believe but the cpu use seems to be noticeably better working with the exact same things I did yesterday. Of course it's cooler this morning than it's been in a while and maybe my CPU just isn't fighting the heat.
Did you notice this performance increase after updating to 8.3.1?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

pjeudy

29 Sep 2015

LudvigC wrote:Hey,

we had some web-related issues with the Release Notes page. It will be up soonish, but here's the fixlist for 8.3.1 :

• Added new FFT library under Windows. This will vastly improve performance of RV7000 in convolution mode, as well as other native devices and Rack Extensions that use FFT.
• Fixed a bug where automated RV7000 convolution parameters could sound different in exported audio compared to playback.
• Fixed a bug where RV7000 convolution settings could give unwanted aliasing artefacts.
• Fixed a bug where the length of the audio recording could sometimes be wrong, if an audio clip was transposed with stretch disabled.
• Fixed a bug where under some specific circumstances, placing a send effect within an insert fx container could cause Reason to crash.

/ LudvigC
Man my heart skipped abeat.... at the thought of user sample loading in anything related to Reason that says "update" :-(
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

gak

29 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:
gak wrote:I find this hard to believe but the cpu use seems to be noticeably better working with the exact same things I did yesterday. Of course it's cooler this morning than it's been in a while and maybe my CPU just isn't fighting the heat.
Yes. It's placebo, right, right? It can't be true! (super pessimistic guy)

EnochLight

29 Sep 2015

gak wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
Yes. It's placebo, right, right? It can't be true! (super pessimistic guy)
Not if you're on Windows and using FFT in the affected devices. The whole point of the update was to address performance in RV7000 MKV2 and any other RE's that use FFT. But if you're just running things without that and notice a performance improvement, well... Congrats! :mrgreen:

gak

29 Sep 2015

What else uses FFT? (yes, the mkII's are being used)

gak

29 Sep 2015

I'm having a problem I just noticed. I sent a ticket but wanted to run it by everyone here in case it's not just me.

On one project, if rerecording a part within a looped area, the part transposes one half step upon playback. It's only the 3 guitar parts, and doesn't happen when I record in a different location.

I think that I transposed some parts a half step up at one time so I'm sure that is the culprit. Sent in a song file too.

pushedbutton

29 Sep 2015

LudvigC wrote:Hey,

• Added new...

/ LudvigC
Any change of you kicking M-Audio's ass in time for the 8.3.2 update? They need to get some MKIV device support details over to you last year.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

EnochLight

29 Sep 2015

gak wrote:What else uses FFT? (yes, the mkII's are being used)
As far as Propllerhead stuff, Radical Piano and Radical Keys. And some Parsec. Not sure about 3rd party RE's though. There's probably some native Reason devices that are also affected by the better performance.

Exowildebeest

29 Sep 2015

Scuzzy or Normen can probably make an educated guess as to which devices use FFT?

My uneducated guess would be things like Synapse's EQ to draw the frequency plot? That's what the Fourier transform is used for, among other things, correct?

motuscott

29 Sep 2015

FFT serves as the handrail of the portal to another dimension that my hard drive has become. That last step's a doozy.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information