Reason 8.3.1 Released

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2015

Dante wrote:If you then sent the resulting timbre (non sine) then FFT analysis would tell you what the two sine frequencies are !

SO - FFT takes a complex waveform and breaks it down into the component sine wave frequencies that are making that timbre !
Not exactly, FFT tells you two things:
1. how to reconstruct the waveform with frequency components determined by the FFT settings
2. how much the frequency "bins" resonate with the signal (amount of energy expressed at those frequencies)

Notice how the spectrum analyser behaves with sine waves, it does not just give you a single line to represent the sine, because of how fft works (you can get a line with specific frequencies, but there are very few of those).

And then you have the inverse FFT (ifft), which does the opposite and transforms frequency components into a waveform.

Olivier

01 Oct 2015

avasopht wrote: Notice how the spectrum analyser behaves with sine waves, it does not just give you a single line to represent the sine, because of how fft works (you can get a line with specific frequencies, but there are very few of those).
A single sine wave should always give just one line on an fft display else it's not a sine wave. Every type of wave (except the sine) has its specific overtones that make up its timbre.. Those will be shown by an fft display. So, basically what Dante says...
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

avasopht
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2015

eauhm wrote: A single sine wave should always give just one line on an fft display else it's not a sine wave. Every type of wave (except the sine) has its specific overtones that make up its timbre.. Those will be shown by an fft display. So, basically what Dante says...
No, you only get a single straight line for exact integer multiples of the second frequency bin. Anything else gives you a curve (well, more of a peak). Try it.

Olivier

01 Oct 2015

Ah, yeah ok, one curve/peak per sine. Not a line.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

DiZo

02 Nov 2015

more info for the 8.3.2 update ? i have dl bvut i have not click on more info before, and now i seek update detail if you have idea

Marco Raaphorst

02 Nov 2015

low latency is still causing audio glitches it seems. hope this one will be solved one day. am working with support on it.

• Information