Copy/paste notes in sequencer off beat.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2015

Goriila Texas wrote:
selig wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:And whats up with Dr rex,why can't you delete the last marker? It seems the last marker is causing a delay in the loops I create. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but it's a pain to get a decent loop in Dr rex.
OK, maybe I should have asked this before, but are you looping the pattern or did you do a 'notes to track' and are looping that?
I play kong from my padkontrol and trim the sides of the midi clip. Then hit copy (ctrl+c) then paste (ctrl+v),the playhead moves to the end of the clip so you'd think it would be perfect but it starts to go off beat with the rest of my audio in S1 around the third copy/paste. Tried everything!
And how are you seeing this last "marker" that you are trying to delete? IIRC, you only see these when using ReCycle or doing slice edits on audio tracks.

I tried to use Dr rex to play some loops so I loaded kong and recorded the audio in S1,had to record the audio in S1 because to my knowledge you can't bounce midi to audio in rewire mode but it works in standalone. Then I drag the audio inside Reason double click the audio file to edit the markers and noticed the last marker can't be deleted. It's this marker which causes the delay when looping in Dr rex and seems to be done deliberately to keep recycle alive imo. Looking at all the loops that come with Dr rex none have that last marker and loop perfect.
First question, if you want to "play some loops" why load kong and go through all those hoops? Why not just load Dr Octa Rex or simply open the REX file in an audio track? Seems you are making things far more complex with all these additional steps!

But getting back to your question, you are using an audio clip in your example, and audio clips will loop perfectly IF they are an exact length as we have previously discussed. Still not at all sure how you are getting out of sync with your duplications IF your first clip is an exact length.

These things are typically very straight forward, so I'm still assuming there's something else going on here that you're doing differently, possibly based on your round trip to S1 that IMO is totally unnecessary.

Maybe you could tell us which loop you're using and we can try it ourselves?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Gorilla Texas

28 Sep 2015

@selig

I'm not playing loops with kong i thought I made that clear,I'm playing kong and trying to copy/paste to extend the notes to more bars. Are we clear on that? It's been confirmed by another user having the same issue so it has nothing to do with s1 period. It does the same in standalone. You simply cannot get a consistent tempo with copy/paste method.

How is my workflow unnecessary when I don't want to work in a DAW (reason ) with toy like editing. I don't want to record in Reason so it's very necessary for me. Both s1 and reason are in perfect sync in rewire so blaming s1 makes no sense to me.

It's hard to believe you're even reading what I'm saying, I find it hard to believe a man of your caliber seems confused at what I'm saying but the other user understood me clearly. Maybe you dont work in the sequecer much because what im saying should be clear. This brings me to your history of passive aggressiveness that you're known for in the old PUF. I get the impression that you're not really trying to help but discredit post and hide the weaknesses of Reason. I know damn well you know what I'm saying but playing ignorant. Just ignore my post when I'm asking for help because clearly you not trying to help,you just trying to protect Reason.

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2015

Gorilla Texas wrote:@selig

I'm not playing loops with kong i thought I made that clear,I'm playing kong and trying to copy/paste to extend the notes to more bars. Are we clear on that? It's been confirmed by another user having the same issue so it has nothing to do with s1 period. It does the same in standalone. You simply cannot get a consistent tempo with copy/paste method.

How is my workflow unnecessary when I don't want to work in a DAW (reason ) with toy like editing. I don't want to record in Reason so it's very necessary for me. Both s1 and reason are in perfect sync in rewire so blaming s1 makes no sense to me.

It's hard to believe you're even reading what I'm saying, I find it hard to believe a man of your caliber seems confused at what I'm saying but the other user understood me clearly. Maybe you dont work in the sequecer much because what im saying should be clear. This brings me to your history of passive aggressiveness that you're known for in the old PUF. I get the impression that you're not really trying to help but discredit post and hide the weaknesses of Reason. I know damn well you know what I'm saying but playing ignorant. Just ignore my post when I'm asking for help because clearly you not trying to help,you just trying to protect Reason.
Wow, this went bad fast! I don't even know where to begin - hardly anything you've claimed above is accurate IMO, and some of it is blatant personal attacks, which are strictly forbidden here. So I will simply do my job as a moderator here and remind you to stick to the facts and keep the personal attacks out of your posts.

If you change your mind, I'm still 100% willing to help you get to the bottom of this issue, which so far no one has been able to replicate.

You game, or not?
Selig Audio, LLC

Gorilla Texas

28 Sep 2015

selig wrote:

Wow, this went bad fast! I don't even know where to begin - hardly anything you've claimed above is accurate IMO, and some of it is blatant personal attacks, which are strictly forbidden here. So I will simply do my job as a moderator here and remind you to stick to the facts and keep the personal attacks out of your posts.

If you change your mind, I'm still 100% willing to help you get to the bottom of this issue, which so far no one has been able to replicate.

You game, or not?

No,its obvious to me you don't work with midi much or use rex files. Two users understood exactly what I was saying but you don't. That's tells me you're not qualified to answer my questions thank you though. What I ask should've been very clear to those who chop audio or play drums live with midi and try to edit. You seem to have a hard time grasping what I'm saying. And You are wrong two must've notice something that's why they were trying to help. Nobody is agreeing with you bro. This is my last response to you,I have nothing else to say to you.

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2015

Gorilla Texas wrote:
selig wrote:

You game, or not?

No,its obvious to me you don't work with midi much or use rex files. Two users understood exactly what I was saying but you don't. That's tells me you're not qualified to answer my questions thank you though. What I ask should've been very clear to those who chop audio or play drums live with midi and try to edit. You seem to have a hard time grasping what I'm saying. And You are wrong two must've notice something that's why they were trying to help. Nobody is agreeing with you bro. This is my last response to you,I have nothing else to say to you.
Wow, you continue to be so unbelievably and completely wrong about me (and the facts), not to mention your claim that everyone else here understood you. Not sure where this attitude is coming from after a perfectly respectful discussion between us, or why it is suddenly so difficult for you to be civil to someone who is spending their valuable free time trying to help you.

Come on dude, life's too short for this crap - take a deep breath, smile, and know there are folks still willing to take time out of their busy day to come to your aid!

All I can do is remind you for a second time that this "attitude" and personal attacks are against the forum rules, something I am concerned you are not fully grasping at this point in time. Consider this a warning.
Selig Audio, LLC

Tincture

28 Sep 2015

Ok, as one of the guys in this thread I'll share my thoughts:

I think there is some misunderstanding of the issue going on here and two different types of personality.

Because Gorilla is finger drumming and then hoping to edit those attempts into nice loopable REX files I think this can be tricky from my experience (and I'm sure there have been other similar topics raised when REX looping was first made possible in Reason).

But also in my experience Selig has a wonderfully deep knowledge of Reason and as such likes to try and solve issues such as these (which is admirable and wanted in my IMO).

Selig strikes me as a methodical, analytical type but perhaps not the most able to interpret things when they are not presented in such a style?? Gorilla strikes me as a creative type who just wants to get this thing done without too much analysis or explaining??

I really think you both have good points here it's just that you're describing things at crossed purposes. I don't have time to open Reason and spend time trying to find the middle ground here but I will say that I've never managed to use the convert to REX function in Reason to my liking (tried for guitar loops etc). I'm sure (!!) this is user error and so just gave up rather than asking for help. If you two could get to the bottom of this by providing example files and then looking at them, I for one, would appreciate it.

As one who is conflict orientated at times I can see both sides here but in the end Selig is right to not expect it getting personal. But also, I know how it can feel to have problems like this and get frustrated. Gorilla asked for help, more than I was prepared to do... His pride should be considered too. Whatever the cause of the issue, it's real, whether it's user or program based. I'm sure if it's resolved both of you wouldn't care too much about the cause?

Edit: I hope neither of you will read any back-handed insults into the above. I stuck my neck out in the hope that it might bring you together but nevermind. Ahh well.

Gorilla Texas

28 Sep 2015

Tincture wrote:Ok, as one of the guys in this thread I'll share my thoughts:

I think there is some misunderstanding of the issue going on here and two different types of personality.

Because Gorilla is finger drumming and then hoping to edit those attempts into nice loopable REX files I think this can be tricky from my experience (and I'm sure there have been other similar topics raised when REX looping was first made possible in Reason).

But also in my experience Selig has a wonderfully deep knowledge of Reason and as such likes to try and solve issues such as these (which is admirable and wanted in my IMO).

Selig strikes me as a methodical, analytical type but perhaps not the most able to interpret things when they are not presented in such a style?? Gorilla strikes me as a creative type who just wants to get this thing done without too much analysis or explaining??

I really think you both have good points here it's just that you're describing things at crossed purposes. I don't have time to open Reason and spend time trying to find the middle ground here but I will say that I've never managed to use the convert to REX function in Reason to my liking (tried for guitar loops etc). I'm sure (!!) this is user error and so just gave up rather than asking for help. If you two could get to the bottom of this by providing example files and then looking at them, I for one, would appreciate it.

As one who is conflict orientated at times I can see both sides here but in the end Selig is right to not expect it getting personal. But also, I know how it can feel to have problems like this and get frustrated. Gorilla asked for help, more than I was prepared to do... His pride should be considered too. Whatever the cause of the issue, it's real, whether it's user or program based. I'm sure if it's resolved both of you wouldn't care too much about the cause?

Edit: I hope neither of you will read any back-handed insults into the above. I stuck my neck out in the hope that it might bring you together but nevermind. Ahh well.

I'm going to keep working on it if I find something out I'll post it.

• Information