Record from computer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GushingDizzy

24 Sep 2015

I would like to record audio playing from a video in a webpage into Reason. How does one go about doing that?

Thanks!
- Geoff

submonsterz

24 Sep 2015

GushingDizzy wrote:I would like to record audio playing from a video in a webpage into Reason. How does one go about doing that?

Thanks!
I go about it via my sound card mixing panel where it's sends and returns are .
But before I had a sound card with that feature it just used to be the waves input as standard on the record inputs .
On windows for me though not shure how the mac handles it nowdays .
Usually if you want answer as in a how to best put what os you are on firstly to target answers from those on same format as yourself and also what you have to work with ie if you have on board sound or an external card or a added internal card . These will help you get a better answer than I have given as it seems different systems and different set ups also mean different aproaches that can be applied .

EnochLight

24 Sep 2015

GushingDizzy wrote:I would like to record audio playing from a video in a webpage into Reason. How does one go about doing that?

Thanks!
If I don't feel like manually running line in/line out with my soundcard, I'll just screen-cap whatever is playing on the web. In Windows 10, you can use the integrated screen cap software or a free program like Bandicam. I'll usually split the resulting video file with XMedia Recode into an audio file that Reason can open.

May sound convoluted, but it's a lot faster than it reads. At any rate, I almost prefer doing this to manually wiring up audio cables to my soundcard.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GRIFTY

24 Sep 2015

My soundcard software won't let me do this in the box, so i use a 3rd party ASIO driver called ASIO link from a company called O deus Audio. I forget who put me onto it but thank you. It basically takes about an hour of figuring out and then it never requires any fiddling again. I just arm a track in reason and hit "record". Great value piece of software IMO and from the looks of it the newest version is more user friendly

EnochLight

25 Sep 2015

GRIFTY wrote:My soundcard software won't let me do this in the box, so i use a 3rd party ASIO driver called ASIO link from a company called O deus Audio. I forget who put me onto it but thank you. It basically takes about an hour of figuring out and then it never requires any fiddling again. I just arm a track in reason and hit "record". Great value piece of software IMO and from the looks of it the newest version is more user friendly
Thanks for suggesting ASIO Link; I haven't tried using that in years. That said, I was unsuccessful getting it setup to work with Reason and Balance. Are you able to sample into Reason from your web browser (Windows WDM audio) successfully? If so, please share your settings in ASIO Link's control panels. I'll consider buying if I can get it to work.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GRIFTY

25 Sep 2015

Yeah! From in browser TV (Comcast), from Netflix, from iTunes or any media player, vlc, etc. I can record chops straight to the sample in on Kong from RECYCLE! It's amazing tbh. I'll screen cap my settings for you once I get up and put together. I'm sick as a dog right now

GRIFTY

25 Sep 2015

Oh, another favorite use for me is recording mixxx (or vdj serato etc) straight into reason, or at least using reason effects during my set

EnochLight

25 Sep 2015

GRIFTY wrote:Yeah! From in browser TV (Comcast), from Netflix, from iTunes or any media player, vlc, etc. I can record chops straight to the sample in on Kong from RECYCLE! It's amazing tbh. I'll screen cap my settings for you once I get up and put together. I'm sick as a dog right now
Thanks man - get better!

GRIFTY

27 Sep 2015

so this is how i have it set up
ASIOlinksettings.JPG
ASIOlinksettings.JPG (146.12 KiB) Viewed 7044 times
the important things to note are that in the "WDM Audio to ASIO Input" section i have inputs 1 and 2 active. i've also activated inputs 1 through 8 on my "ASIO soundcard inputs" so that they work as normal. Finally I have both inputs activated on "ASIO output to Stereo Mix", this is because i enjoy improvisational hip hop and experimental music and stuff, so this lets me capture, say, a very specific delay effect that i might have a hard time replicating with automation. I just open an audacity project and set the input to "stereo mix" and i can record reason's audio directly.

it's important to note that in my windows audio panel, this is what's going on.
windowsaudiosettings.JPG
windowsaudiosettings.JPG (62.72 KiB) Viewed 7044 times
i set the asiovad driver to "default". it CAN get sort of annoying switching back and forth (say if you need to have it as default on a different device when you're not using reason. for example my default non-reason audio device is my TV), but it seems to remember for me now and i don't have to switch. (lol i have no idea what's really going on here. but when i turn my interface off my computer knows to switch back to the TV and vice versa. for a while when i installed this set up i was having to manually switch every time. gotta lay off the weed).

and finally in reason it looks like this
reasondriver.JPG
reasondriver.JPG (34.59 KiB) Viewed 7044 times
if you'll refer back up to the asio link pic i have the focusrite driver marked in the upper right corner. but in reason i have asio link listed as the driver. the "enable multi clients" box is checked because it allows reason to share the ASIO driver with MIXXX, it's unnecessary otherwise.

i hope this was helpful. lemme know if you have any more questions. peace!!

polvda

28 Sep 2015

Virtual cable, cable output works well round here.
Win 10, Reason 8.3, Tascam US-366

http://vb-audio.pagesperso-orange.fr/Cable/

randysmith

25 Jan 2018

Hey, I use TuneFab Screen Recorder to help me record all my audio from a video so that I move to Reason. You can have a try.

EnochLight

26 Jan 2018

randysmith wrote:
25 Jan 2018
Hey, I use TuneFab Screen Recorder to help me record all my audio from a video so that I move to Reason. You can have a try.
:shock: 2 & 1/2 year old necromancy thread? :lol:

Thanks for chiming in, though. ;)

• Information