For Reason 7 Users, What feature will make you to upgrade to Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Alkua

20 Sep 2015

There are a lot of users that are good with Reason 7, so I just want to know what feature or functionality will make you to upgrade.

Also, Reason 8 users may stay in reason 8 when Reason 9 came out. So what you really want Reason 9 should have to do the upgrade.

This is NOT a wish list, It is a MUST HAVE list to upgrade Reason

In my case:

1. Automatic Latency compensation
2. Better sequencer

TheMiles

20 Sep 2015

Sample loading for REs, notes to track for REs, and a new combinator with more dials and/or faders.

chimp_spanner

20 Sep 2015

To be honest I'm finally starting to get to grips with the sequencer. The only things that are regular annoyances to me are that legato doesn't join the last note in a part to the end of it. And also that I can't hear notes when I nudge them with the arrow keys; only when I click and drag.

I'd also like to see some real-time MIDI controls for each track; scale correction, transposition, humanization, swing, all with automation of course.

And then there's the obvious stuff like the aforementioned sample loading, note to track, super combi.

Basically with those improvements, I would do even more work in Reason than I already am. Which is quite a lot these days!

decibel

20 Sep 2015

i get the feeling we are never going to see any free instruments,effects again with any upgrades but hopefully im wrong about that ? in the meantime how ever why not upgrade all existing instruments and effects and bring them all up to date with what ever new feature improvements that can be implemented with the current technology , a more advanced spectrum EQ window would be welcome also. apart from that its all the typical requests that people make here week after week such as sample loading, new combinator, etc. theres really no shortage of popular requests to keep the developers at propellerhead HQ busy, they should be doing everything possible to make the app just as good as any of the more high end daws available out there imo

*oh and i think channel strip options by companys such as universal audio, waves, etc could be interesting

pjeudy

20 Sep 2015

Do You guys think they'll skip R8.5 ? R6.5 introduced Rack Extensions...that was a big deal!
Props posted that they will work on R8.4 after they get back from summer break. There are a million things that they need to add to REASON...The only 2 things I want for R8.4 is an update to the SDK to allow developer to add sample loading ..and for work to start on those Devices to you use them...and the second it Automatic naming of track lanes when ever you load a patch a combinator or you manually change the name of that track.

For example If you name a track "kick or guitar" then the track lane being created on the SEQ should write that Automatically for you.That would save time from :
1. Right clicking
2. Click on Add label
3. Type in the name
4. Then hit enter
4 steps save that would improve workflow! :thumbs_up:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

chimp_spanner

20 Sep 2015

Well I dunno I think the stock devices are still pretty decent. I mean even though I've got the likes of Antidote in my rack, I still use Subtractor, and Thor. Aside from some minor tweaks to the existing instruments (option for LFO phase reset on Sub, proper unison mode in Thor) I would love to see an official PH granular synth, and a set of modular half-racks, with the half-rack format opened up in the SDK so that third party developers can create small, inexpensive modular blocks (new filters, oscillators, utilities, etc.).

Wishful thinking, perhaps :)

davidhyno

20 Sep 2015

Lower price for the upgrade....

Dante

20 Sep 2015

Alkua wrote:This is NOT a wish list, It is a MUST HAVE list to upgrade Reason
Hard to answer since we don't know what features will be included that would be must-have deal breakers in their own right.

Im looking for VariAudio / Melodyne style pitch editing - but if Reason 9 upgrade were bundled with some new wizbang RE's that was cheaper than adding them to Reason 8 then I would buy it.

Goriila Texas

20 Sep 2015

I don't think we'll see v9 for awhile because they want to make good on that v8 being the biggest version claim. Even though I hate PH I'll upgrade when 8.4 comes out because I like the workflow of 8.3. Reason is the only DAW that I use that sync's perfectly with S1 in rewire. I push all of my audio in S1 to the beginning and can go to the piano roll in Reason and click the first box and it will be in perfect sync at the start in S1 and the same tempo,for my workflow this is huge.

It's a shame in 2015 it has no markers though.

JNeffLind

20 Sep 2015

The only thing I can really think of that'd be big enough for me is better pitch correction. If they could basically get Melodyne inside of Reason, that'd be worth an upgrade for me. Otherwise I'll keep on exporting and importing back in.

Goriila Texas

20 Sep 2015

Goriila Texas wrote:I don't think we'll see v9 for awhile because they want to make good on that v8 being the biggest version claim. Even though I hate PH I'll upgrade when 8.4 comes out because I like the workflow of 8.3. Reason is the only DAW that I use that sync's perfectly with S1 transport controls,tempo,loop points in rewire. I push all of my audio in S1 to the beginning and can go to the piano roll in Reason and click the first box and it will be in perfect sync at the start in S1 and the same tempo,for my workflow this is huge.

It's a shame in 2015 it has no markers though.

Jagwah

20 Sep 2015

Reason 7 really is perfection on my end, so it would take either video support (instant upgrade unless it's a limited and poorly functioning implementation) or that load samples into Malstrom type feature. Otherwise I'm stayin'!

raymondh

20 Sep 2015

Sequencer improvements are at the top of my wish list - especially polyphonic step-time entry.

But Reason is a great and complete DAW now. If only it supported VST plug-ins! I'd still buy rack extensions because of the incredible integration and standardised look and feel, but it would be good to support VSTs unavailable as REs - some which will never be ported like my Mopho X4 editor plug-in and plug-outs that control hardware like this ......

joeyluck

21 Sep 2015

I'm on Reason 8.3 and not sure what it will take!
I upgraded to R8.3 from R7 and didn't know that the features in 8.3 were the features I wanted before 8.3 was announced :)
If you get my point...

That said, there will be no make-or-break features for me.
There are things I'd like to see, but they are by no means requirements for me to upgrade.
Keep me interested and get me excited. I look forward to seeing what's in store for 8.4 and any other point updates that might follow.
And I'm excited to see what Reason 9 will be down the road...

Scoobyman II

21 Sep 2015

In a previous thread I wrote video integration. I feel a little different after seeing other users views on this. Better audio editing, Hit note on midi keyboard to start recording, that other thing that Opcode Vision did to input notes, and full Recycle included.

motuscott

21 Sep 2015

Ability to stop myself from Reason Talk posting
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

decibel

21 Sep 2015

Scoobyman II wrote: and full Recycle included.
yeah for sure they should have included a free full version of recycle in an upgrade years ago, there is nothing to stop them selling it as an individual app to people who wish to use other daws, but it could help lure some people towards having a go on reason who may not otherwise be tempted

txh003

21 Sep 2015

In order for me to purchase another version of Reason, Props will really need to step up their development efforts. Since the Reason 8 announcement, I moved on to solely using Studio One, which I have owned since version 1, and later added Bitwig as a secondary DAW.

With that said, as a long-time former user, I continue to have an interest in Reason and look forward to viewing what its future holds, in spite of the fact that other tools have supplanted it and better meet my requirements at this time.

Nevertheless, here is a list of the items, in order of importance, that I would like to see in the next version, in order for me to be swayed to purchase another Reason update:

1) Track Freeze - Workflow improvement to simplify freeing up resources, especially in light of REs.
2) Automatic Latency Compensation - Workflow improvement to save time calculating and adjusting RE latency.
3) Improved Audio Editing - Bring audio editing on par with Audacity.
4) VST Wrapper - Yes, I know there is zero chance of this transpiring, especially since Props have a financial interest to push REs. However, some of my favorite VSTs will never be added to the RE shop and dealing with Rewire is too cumbersome to my workflow. Also, I own more than double the number of VSTs vs REs.
5) New Synth RE or Device - Thor was the last synth included as part of the base Reason package, which materialized in Reason 4.
6) NN-XT Improvements - Setting velocity layers via algorithmic distribution, additional sample formats, etc.
7) Scalable Rack - Visual improvement for high resolution displays.
8) New Chorus and Phaser FX REs or Devices - Unlike the reverb, distortion and filter effects, new and improved devices over the original chorus and phaser effects have not been provided as part of the base Reason package.
9) Kong Output Improvement - Add 8 more stereo outputs, in order to provide the flexibility to have an individual output for each pad.
10) Combinator Interface Improvements - Add 4 more additional knobs and buttons.

There are some other items, but the aforementioned, in additional to the normal workflow improvements a user should expect in any given update, should suffice.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2015

decibel wrote:i get the feeling we are never going to see any free instruments,effects again with any upgrades but hopefully im wrong about that ? in the meantime how ever why not upgrade all existing instruments and effects and bring them all up to date with what ever new feature improvements that can be implemented with the current technology ,
Unless I totally misunderstood your point…
We JUST saw them Props do exactly what you lament we are never going to see: a free upgrade to an existing FX (RV7000).

And for the record, very few of the past upgrades actually offered "free instruments/effects" over the years - most were paid upgrades. But there HAVE been free upgrades over the years on occasion, and I don't see any reason why these wouldn't continue (few as they have been).

:)
Selig Audio, LLC

decibel

21 Sep 2015

fair enough, i stand corrected :) it just feels like there used to be so much more when each new version came out, (im viewing the past with my rose coloured glasses yeah lol), the RV7000 upgrade is a good start as far as updating existing stock devices go and its been the strongest temptation for me yet when it comes to wanting to purchase reason 8, i love reverb but right now lifes busy and all my money is going into something else right now. hopefully they put out R9 within the next 6 months so i dont have to wait too long to enjoy the impulse reverbs. there are a few nice RE's that i havent grabbed yet and that will keep me pre occupied in the meantime though.

joeyluck

21 Sep 2015

I find it interesting some folks place much weight on new devices with upgrades. We have devices now that we can buy at our own leisure based solely on our own needs. If that is a requirement for you with upgrades, you should be living a dream come true right now upgrading Reason whenever and however you like, right?

txh003

21 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:I find it interesting some folks place much weight on new devices with upgrades. We have devices now that we can buy at our own leisure based solely on our own needs. If that is a requirement for you with upgrades, you should be living a dream come true right now upgrading Reason whenever and however you like, right?
I can only speak for myself, but unlike the VST world, where there are many free options available at a users disposable, this is not the case for a user that wishes to work solely in Reason. Therefore, at least for me, I still hold value to additional devices included in every update.
:reason: :record: :recycle: :rebirth: :reload: :re: :refill:

joeyluck

21 Sep 2015

txh003 wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I find it interesting some folks place much weight on new devices with upgrades. We have devices now that we can buy at our own leisure based solely on our own needs. If that is a requirement for you with upgrades, you should be living a dream come true right now upgrading Reason whenever and however you like, right?
I can only speak for myself, but unlike the VST world, where there are many free options available at a users disposable, this is not the case for a user that wishes to work solely in Reason. Therefore, at least for me, I still hold value to additional devices included in every update.
I get that, but what I don't get is when so much weight on the decision to upgrade is placed on it.

Some people don't want to pay $129 for this or that upgrade...but when they see devices included, they place value?
Even though you can buy REs in the shop using the same money?

And don't forget the complaints about the Softube amps—two new devices included that some folks say they don't need. Or the folks who say they still don't have a need for the RV7000 MkII which introduces a convolution algorithm and pretty much delivers a brand new device!

With the RE shop, we have the flexibility to choose and spend what we want on devices. So, I see new devices with upgrades as icing on the cake, but certainly not as a decision maker for upgrading any longer—or the measure of value in an upgrade.

mojo

21 Sep 2015

Nothing but i'll buy it juste because i told me to upgrade once on 2 upgrade. I dont Know if it's clear : i have 7 dont upgrade for 8, will do for 9 not 10 then i'll do for 11...

I would be very happy with 8.3 but i'll wait till 9.

sdst
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2015

No new combinator in the shop. :) not all is a dream.

anyway I would upgrade

• Information