Any News on 8.4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ostermilk

04 Dec 2015

avasopht wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:
Creativemind wrote:The props are gonna seriously need to pull something right out the bag here.
I'm sorry but English is my native language.

What does this even mean?
Pull something right out of the bag means to surprise us by producing compelling works far exceeding expectations or necessity.
Thanks for the clarification.... ;)

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2015

Ostermilk wrote:
That's basically what I got from the thread, not even an indication of what the specific lack is that makes an 8.4 a requirement other than its .1 more than 8.3
Well, in Semantic Versioning 8.4 might indicate added functionality as opposed to just a patch with bugfixes and minor improvements.

Ostermilk

04 Dec 2015

avasopht wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:
That's basically what I got from the thread, not even an indication of what the specific lack is that makes an 8.4 a requirement other than its .1 more than 8.3
Well, in Semantic Versioning 8.4 might indicate added functionality as opposed to just a patch with bugfixes and minor improvements.
Well then yes Props are gonna seriously need to pull something out the bag whether we see a minor or major version next, no?

What if we get a bugfix version though? Will that need to be seriously pulled out the bag too? Perhaps you were just trying to impress on me what Semantic Versioning meant like I coudnlt possibly know.

What if I did know what it meant but didn't care as none of us has a clue as to whether we are going to see a bugfix, minor or major version appear next until it actually does appear? Either way, as also is the case with the OP's topoc, I can't discern an actual point you may be trying to make.

IOW how can any of us have any news on something that we don't currently know is gonna happen?

Speculation threads are like football commentaries, they don't alter the outcome, they don't inform anyone with a genuine interest in the game, they are designed just to annoy everyone within earshot of the TV who is trying to get on with something else.
Last edited by Ostermilk on 04 Dec 2015, edited 7 times in total.

True

04 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:I think just as many users were supposedly disappointed in Reason 7.
Well, yes and no. I was among the people who were not initially impressed with v7, but I don't remember so many people being angry about it. R7 was seen as more of a "meh" update, while R8 was almost seen as an insult. But I think a lot of people (myself included) came on board with 7.1 because of the SDK update...and didn't we get a free RE with that? 8.3 is kind of the same way: it has finally validated R8 in the eyes of many. But I'm not going to bite on a .3 update. There's nothing in it I need, and it would be just my luck that R9 would be announced right after I fall out of the grace period, so I'll just wait until then.

avasopht
Competition Winner

04 Dec 2015

Ostermilk wrote:Well then yes Props are gonna seriously need to pull something out the bag whether we see a minor or major version next, no?

What if we get a bugfix version though? Will that need to be seriously pulled out the bag too?
Note: I never said Props need to pull something out of the bag, I'm just translating the figure of speech.

Ostermilk

04 Dec 2015

avasopht wrote:
Ostermilk wrote:Well then yes Props are gonna seriously need to pull something out the bag whether we see a minor or major version next, no?

What if we get a bugfix version though? Will that need to be seriously pulled out the bag too?
Note: I never said Props need to pull something out of the bag, I'm just translating the figure of speech.
For me? What, like I didn't know?... :D

I knew the figure of speech but it was meaningless in the context given. Hence I said I was a native English speaker but still didn't understand the meaning.

joeyluck

04 Dec 2015

True wrote:
joeyluck wrote:I think just as many users were supposedly disappointed in Reason 7.
Well, yes and no. I was among the people who were not initially impressed with v7, but I don't remember so many people being angry about it. R7 was seen as more of a "meh" update, while R8 was almost seen as an insult. But I think a lot of people (myself included) came on board with 7.1 because of the SDK update...and didn't we get a free RE with that? 8.3 is kind of the same way: it has finally validated R8 in the eyes of many. But I'm not going to bite on a .3 update. There's nothing in it I need, and it would be just my luck that R9 would be announced right after I fall out of the grace period, so I'll just wait until then.
Well from what I witnessed it was much the same.
People getting 'angry' is just silly because nobody is owed anything. Nobody pre-ordered Reason 8 before it was announced, nobody is paying for a subscription to Reason... And it's never great in number, just in frequency from a small group.

And for every new version and update we've seen as of recent; watching the release videos is like reading the feature request forums.
There were tons of people celebrating Reason 8. Those features are things that people were begging for! I didn't upgrade until Reason 8.3 as I didn't feel I needed Reason 8.
But my vision wasn't blurred like some others' who were angry because the new version wasn't all about them.
But those people will be there every time. They will be there when Reason 9 is released. You just have to learn to ignore them.

True

04 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote:Well from what I witnessed it was much the same.
People getting 'angry' is just silly because nobody is owed anything. Nobody pre-ordered Reason 8 before it was announced, nobody is paying for a subscription to Reason... And it's never great in number, just in frequency from a small group.

And for every new version and update we've seen as of recent; watching the release videos is like reading the feature request forums.
There were tons of people celebrating Reason 8. Those features are things that people were begging for! I didn't upgrade until Reason 8.3 as I didn't feel I needed Reason 8.
But my vision wasn't blurred like some others' who were angry because the new version wasn't all about them.
But those people will be there every time. They will be there when Reason 9 is released. You just have to learn to ignore them.
I'm not going to justify their anger; I'm just pointing out that I don't recall there being that much anger involved with R7. What I saw with R7 was more of people questioning whether it was worth the upgrade...which is why so many were ready to jump on board with 7.1 when it came out.

As for R8, I wasn't angry about it, but I was completely underwhelmed. To me it was worth a maximum of $40, so I was shocked that Props considered it worth charging so much for...but I didn't lose any sleep over it. What upset me more was people telling me why I should like R8. I don't tell others what to think about things; I expect the same in return. But I know there were those who left (or at least threatened to leave) Reason altogether over R8. I think that is silly, but again, it's not my place to say how they should react. To the original point, though, I don't recall nearly as many people abandoning ship over R7. Sure, there will always be some who think Props is headed in the wrong direction, but R8 was the first time I recall Props releasing an official statement to address them.

stephensmattlee

04 Dec 2015

It was exactly the seem for me, I didn't make the jump until 8.3 too as I was quite happy with 7, but the extra features they added between 8.0 and 8.3 definitely made the upgrade more worthwhile for me.
Like you say no one is owed anything, there's no rush, funny enough I was watching the music making month interview with the co-founders of Propellerheads and I really respected their approach to never giving anything away about future developments because they'd rather add them in their own time in their own way and try to get it right once the certain feature is ready

One thing I did find interesting though was where they said about the tweaks to the sequencer they made to Reason 4 were necessary in the development of Record later down the line. Does make me wonder that if the main workflow changes that we saw in Reason 8 are a stepping stone to whatever bigger future plans they make have with Reason 9+

I expect there to be an 8.4 update and possibly a 8.5 update too but there's definitely no rush, they're ready when they're ready :)

shropshirelad

07 Dec 2015

madmacman wrote:
shropshirelad wrote:rack zoom are on the way - since I bought my new iMac 27 I have to sit 6 inches away from the screen!
In the meantime you could give "universal access / accessibility" (OS X preferences) a try. I enabled the zoom feature and zoom in with "scroll movement" (using a trackpad here - should work the same way with the mouse) while pressing ctrl-key.

The zoomed racks don't look fancy, but it does the job well and could ease access to tiny knobs. :)
Thanks for this tip - it works but it's a shame to have to put up with 'fuzzy vision'!

gak

09 Dec 2015

хачу
искам
willen
欲しいです
desear

chcieć
تريد
istemek
θέλω
хотеть

joeyluck

25 Feb 2016

Just want to throw out some speculation here...

After the launch of Allihoopa, Reason is due an update to change things to 'Drop to Allihoopa' (as they did with the mobile apps).
However, that hasn't happened yet. Which to me sort of confirms that there must be more in the mix for a Reason update. And that those features must be close enough to release in order to hold off on the simple Allihoopa Reason update. Must mean something is right around the corner :D Am I right?

EnochLight

25 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote:Just want to throw out some speculation here...

After the launch of Allihoopa, Reason is due an update to change things to 'Drop to Allihoopa' (as they did with the mobile apps).
However, that hasn't happened yet. Which to me sort of confirms that there must be more in the mix for a Reason update. And that those features must be close enough to release in order to hold off on the simple Allihoopa Reason update. Must mean something is right around the corner :D Am I right?
Admittedly, changing the text pop-up to "Drop to Allihoopa" could be accomplished in a simple 8.3.X update. That's literally the only thing that needs to be changed.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

25 Feb 2016

EnochLight wrote:

Admittedly, changing the text pop-up to "Drop to Allihoopa" could be accomplished in a simple 8.3.X update. That's literally the only thing that needs to be changed.
Exactly my point. And since it hasn't happened, I'm guessing they are holding off until they are done doing whatever it is they are secretly doing with other things inside Reason.

gak

25 Feb 2016

Nope. I've become the glass half-empty person!

Wake me when it happens.

tiker01

25 Feb 2016

Perhaps Mattias can let us know if it still planned to be released?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Zerosity

25 Feb 2016

I'd rather them remove the upload button all together or at least remove it from the transport.

gak

26 Feb 2016

There is no end to disagreements and speculation to daw hosts :lol:

Karim
Competition Winner

26 Feb 2016

Creativemind wrote:
decibel wrote:i cant help but wonder ? if they include something new with each point update untill they get to R9, then what will they have left to actually make R9 i significant upgrade that all reason users wont be able to live without ? it will have to be pretty major, all these things they have been dragging their feet on for years now have to materialize in the app sooner or later huh, at some point it has to reach the same standards as the big name daws and plateau right ? and then were can it go and how will they keep the business growing, it will be interesting to see evolve, i hope they make it that far and keep pushing forward etc
Oh there's loads to include 'decibel'. They've only been adding 3 or 4 little implementations in the point updates. They could leave biggies like video support, loading of samples into Malstrom and Re's, complete the midi editing, Themes (or changing the sequencer background colour), a Melodyne type feature for audio, an updated Combinator, Ghost Clips, Zooming in on the rack and maybe a good metering tool for R9.

Littlies like punch in-out markers, undo events list, a notepad, linking of faders on the mixer, saving mixer channel settings, autosave, freezing of tracks, gain knob on mix channels in the rack, complete the colour pallet, chord display etc for point updates.

Sorry, starting to ramble about feature wants again lol!
I agree for every single suggestion[emoji8] !

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

SA Studio

26 Feb 2016

joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

Exactly my point. And since it hasn't happened, I'm guessing they are holding off until they are done doing whatever it is they are secretly doing with other things inside Reason.
I'd argue the fact we haven't seen a point update that adds the "Move all faders at once" feature, along with the lack of a point update that changes the Allihoopa text, is more indicative to me of them simply being slow to add anything at all. Not at all trying to be negative, I'm simply sighting the speed at which anything is being changed, which is moving slowly.

However, I would bet there's something right around the corner, simply because in the whole professional world of Marketing and Branding, when you launch something new, you want that new name or word EVERYWHERE right from the get go. I'm very surprised we didn't see a point update that changed the "Drop to Allihoopa" text the day Allihoopa was announced.

To me, I think we'll see a point update to change that text soon. If I wanted people to take Allihoopa seriously, I wouldn't perpetuate the "Beta-y" vibe of Discover where things are not fleshed out yet. It's like a message to the users "this really isn't ready yet". It's kind of like launching a 10 track CD and having 6 songs available for download on the release day. If you want something to really succeed, make it complete from the start. Indeed, a very simple point update could have been ready for Reason at the announcement of Allihoopa.

So, I really bet one is right around the corner.

joeyluck

26 Feb 2016

SA Studio wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

I'd argue the fact we haven't seen a point update that adds the "Move all faders at once" feature, along with the lack of a point update that changes the Allihoopa text, is more indicative to me of them simply being slow to add anything at all. Not at all trying to be negative, I'm simply sighting the speed at which anything is being changed, which is moving slowly.

However, I would bet there's something right around the corner, simply because in the whole professional world of Marketing and Branding, when you launch something new, you want that new name or word EVERYWHERE right from the get go. I'm very surprised we didn't see a point update that changed the "Drop to Allihoopa" text the day Allihoopa was announced.

To me, I think we'll see a point update to change that text soon. If I wanted people to take Allihoopa seriously, I wouldn't perpetuate the "Beta-y" vibe of Discover where things are not fleshed out yet. It's like a message to the users "this really isn't ready yet". It's kind of like launching a 10 track CD and having 6 songs available for download on the release day. If you want something to really succeed, make it complete from the start. Indeed, a very simple point update could have been ready for Reason at the announcement of Allihoopa.

Did you just disagree and then come to same conclusion? Lol

Again based on the fact they updated the mobile apps immediately but not Reason tells me they have something else close enough to not bother us with a point update just for Allihoopa.

gak

27 Feb 2016

You have to understand. At my age I'm just starting to "hit the wall" on the speculation threads. Yeah, I still moan and whine but it's starting to get to be "oh jesus christ, just go make music!" :lol:

I can't think of any other angles that haven't been explored.

kitekrazy

27 Feb 2016

Your Reason 8.4 upgrade is allihoopa.com.

joeyluck

27 Feb 2016

kitekrazy wrote:Your Reason 8.4 upgrade is allihoopa.com.
That's not Reason and that's no longer Propellerhead. Reason is still on 8.3

avasopht
Competition Winner

27 Feb 2016

SA Studio wrote:I'd argue the fact we haven't seen a point update that adds the "Move all faders at once" feature, along with the lack of a point update that changes the Allihoopa text, is more indicative to me of them simply being slow to add anything at all. Not at all trying to be negative, I'm simply sighting the speed at which anything is being changed, which is moving slowly.

Release early / release often are often the best approaches with new product categories. With the included updater and the more regular updates I think it's fair there's a bit if that philosophy underlying their activity - albeit, with not so often updates ;)

Slow is a perspective that rarely is ever correct unless PH are spending their entire working week at the beach somewhere sipping Mai Tai's.

For all we know they could be creating the killer mixing desk with simulated rattle noises when you insert cables, or integrating reason with oculus rift. You will just never know what's going on behind closed doors, what has been tested and what is currently being worked on.

I have my suspicions, though I'm basing my use of reason purely on what's available today, which for is good enough to produce my sound (plus there are other DAWs if need be). If they do bring out a killer update to me it'll just be a bonus of sorts.

• Information