Any News on 8.4?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

19 Sep 2015

Hi!

Short and Sweet!

Anyone heard anything about 8.4, there is an 8.4 version due for release soon isn't there I heard?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

esselfortium

19 Sep 2015

Nothing yet, to my knowledge.

Propellerhead recently sent out an email survey to some users (not me), trying to gauge the level of user interest in video support in Reason. I would expect that to be a further future development, though, as I'm sure whatever development is ongoing for 8.4 right now is already long past the stage of "what should we do for 8.4".

So, basically, we don't know anything.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Creativemind

19 Sep 2015

Yes esselfortium.

I wasn't asking for peoples opinions on what feature suggestions they want for 8.4, just if anybody knew of when it might be released. I've heard there is going to be an 8.4 a while ago, I just thought we would've heard something by now. A beta testing version for all users like they did for 8.3 must be imminent surely. There was 3 months think it was between 8.2 and 8.3 and it's been about that since 8.3 was released.

As for video support, this would be very good for being able to put sound to video clips and stuff, would be fantastic. This smells of a whole version update though in my opinion, so perhaps not till Reason 9 I'd say, would you?

esselfortium

19 Sep 2015

Creativemind wrote:Yes esselfortium.

I wasn't asking for peoples opinions on what feature suggestions they want for 8.4, just if anybody knew of when it might be released.
I know, I was just relaying what little we do know about what might be coming down the pipe. :)

I'd expect to see it in R9, probably, yeah. Hopefully we'll get some 8.4 news before too much longer, I'm eager to see what else they've been working on.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

kitekrazy

19 Sep 2015

BTW video support is hit and miss on DAWs.

The only thing I get from Props is "here's a loop for you to use" or "a new expensive RE". At least Cakewalk and Tracktion sends you marketing emails with tutorial tips.
If they for go from 8.3 to 9. It would have to be really impressive for me to update since I'm a casual Reason user.

Exowildebeest

19 Sep 2015

I'll predict again that sample loading for RE's will come, either in 8.4 or 9. They've worked out the new browser now, and added the first stock device in years that loads samples (RV7000 II). Utility RE's can now also load and save patches, so SDK related browser work has been touched on.

All (circumstantial) evidence to suggest that sample loading for RE's is coming.

chimp_spanner

19 Sep 2015

Yeah I'm hoping for sample loading. Malstrom has gone from being the synth I never use to one of my main sound design tools, but I'm running out of source material, fast! Only so many ways you can process the same set of samples.

Creativemind

19 Sep 2015

Yes, loading of samples into Malstrom would be a massive thing for Reason and make it a very viable draw then for people undecided or who haven't upgraded for a while. There isn't an Re for Granular synthesis I don't think either which (I know Malstrom isn't technically Granular per se, it's Graintable) but I think would make Malstrom formidable.

As for Re's, an SDK 3 is needed I think, make it better and add notes to track.

pjeudy

19 Sep 2015

Someone should do a poll and link it to Props Facebook page asking when would you like Sample Loading In Reason 8.4 or R9 and beyond...I would like it in R8.4 The sooner the better...dev can start on it ASAP...Why should Serum,waves codex,Massive etc.. have all the fun Loading those files :-0
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Tincture

19 Sep 2015

I'm really not one for conspiracy theories or the like but I was surprised to hear the 'leak' of there being a 8.4. It's not usually pre-announced unless there needs to be a beta ... Right?

They are very full on with their marketing at the minute tho'. More than I've ever seen. It's not a bad thing IMO, just commenting.

Care to conspire? J/k

decibel

19 Sep 2015

i cant help but wonder ? if they include something new with each point update untill they get to R9, then what will they have left to actually make R9 i significant upgrade that all reason users wont be able to live without ? it will have to be pretty major, all these things they have been dragging their feet on for years now have to materialize in the app sooner or later huh, at some point it has to reach the same standards as the big name daws and plateau right ? and then were can it go and how will they keep the business growing, it will be interesting to see evolve, i hope they make it that far and keep pushing forward etc

Creativemind

20 Sep 2015

decibel wrote:i cant help but wonder ? if they include something new with each point update untill they get to R9, then what will they have left to actually make R9 i significant upgrade that all reason users wont be able to live without ? it will have to be pretty major, all these things they have been dragging their feet on for years now have to materialize in the app sooner or later huh, at some point it has to reach the same standards as the big name daws and plateau right ? and then were can it go and how will they keep the business growing, it will be interesting to see evolve, i hope they make it that far and keep pushing forward etc
Oh there's loads to include 'decibel'. They've only been adding 3 or 4 little implementations in the point updates. They could leave biggies like video support, loading of samples into Malstrom and Re's, complete the midi editing, Themes (or changing the sequencer background colour), a Melodyne type feature for audio, an updated Combinator, Ghost Clips, Zooming in on the rack and maybe a good metering tool for R9.

Littlies like punch in-out markers, undo events list, a notepad, linking of faders on the mixer, saving mixer channel settings, autosave, freezing of tracks, gain knob on mix channels in the rack, complete the colour pallet, chord display etc for point updates.

Sorry, starting to ramble about feature wants again lol!

decibel

20 Sep 2015

in all honesty mate, in many ways im still a noob in regards to using reason to its full potential, my hands are full with all the RE's and crap ive brought in the last few years :) lol, but i do want to support the company financially and see them grow obviously so there is a bit of an expectation to be compensated with new improvements and goodies when puting money down for an upgrade, i love using reason and hope it reaches the stage where there is no reason to ever have to rewire into another app to access better tools, sounds etc, id rather see it equal or even out do the big guys in some ways some day soon hopefully :)

Koshdukai

20 Sep 2015

Creativemind wrote:Anyone heard anything about 8.4, there is an 8.4 version due for release soon isn't there I heard?
Dunno about 8.4 but have you watched very carefully PH's latest video?

Exowildebeest

20 Sep 2015

Koshdukai wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Anyone heard anything about 8.4, there is an 8.4 version due for release soon isn't there I heard?
My magical powers suddenly predict that 8.3.1 will come before 8.4, with Build number at anything equal to or higher than 6,233 :P

gak

20 Sep 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:
Koshdukai wrote:
My magical powers suddenly predict that 8.3.1 will come before 8.4, with Build number at anything equal to or higher than 6,233 :P
But I don't know what "test model" means.

Exowildebeest

21 Sep 2015

I think "TestPilot channel" is what it says with beta versions.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2015

Creativemind wrote:Hi!

Short and Sweet!

Anyone heard anything about 8.4, there is an 8.4 version due for release soon isn't there I heard?

Thanks!
Hi!
Short and Sweet; check!
No.
No.
You're Welcome!

;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Exowildebeest

21 Sep 2015

But Selig, that's incorrect. We have heard something about 8.4 in that blogpost.
It's been a blast to work on this release. Before I sign off I just want to say a big thank you to everybody who's been involved in making it happen: developers, designers, sound makers, testers. You know who you are. Now I'm off for vacation, then work begins on Reason 8.4.

Leo Nathorst-Böös, @leo
Apps Product Manager
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/category/crew

So it's safe to assume that there will be an 8.4 before 9 at least. What qualifies as "soon" is debatable, but at the current rate of development I'd say within 6 months. Call that soon or not.

Obviously it's very rare for Propellerheads to give a heads up on versions, so this little piece of info will probably remain all we have to go on, until it's suddenly announced. After 8.3.1 which is still to come, going by its appearance in that latest video.

joeyluck

21 Sep 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:But Selig, that's incorrect. We have heard something about 8.4 in that blogpost.
It's been a blast to work on this release. Before I sign off I just want to say a big thank you to everybody who's been involved in making it happen: developers, designers, sound makers, testers. You know who you are. Now I'm off for vacation, then work begins on Reason 8.4.

Leo Nathorst-Böös, @leo
Apps Product Manager
https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/category/crew

So it's safe to assume that there will be an 8.4 before 9 at least. What qualifies as "soon" is debatable, but at the current rate of development I'd say within 6 months. Call that soon or not.

Obviously it's very rare for Propellerheads to give a heads up on versions, so this little piece of info will probably remain all we have to go on, until it's suddenly announced. After 8.3.1 which is still to come, going by its appearance in that latest video.
They may be just trying to set at ease people who want to upgrade now rather than later. And they realize that some hints such as this are necessary. This plus the message in the video that says, "If you're using Reason 7 or earlier, there's never been a better time to upgrade."

tiker01

21 Sep 2015

8.3.1 must be some kind of maintenance update fixing issues before 8.4 can drop.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

tiker01

21 Sep 2015

esselfortium wrote:Nothing yet, to my knowledge.

Propellerhead recently sent out an email survey to some users (not me), trying to gauge the level of user interest in video support in Reason. I would expect that to be a further future development, though, as I'm sure whatever development is ongoing for 8.4 right now is already long past the stage of "what should we do for 8.4".

Can anyone confirm the existence of such survey and share its content i.e. questions and possible answers?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

joeyluck

21 Sep 2015

tiker01 wrote:
esselfortium wrote:Nothing yet, to my knowledge.

Can anyone confirm the existence of such survey and share its content i.e. questions and possible answers?
I like to speculate as much as everyone else, but I think some folks are turning that speculation into fact.

The survey was made up of several pages of several questions. It was geared towards understanding what users do with Reason, etc.

One particular question asked, "Do you work with video?" With a number selection of 1-5 (scale of how much it sounds like you).
Nothing more than that.

What that means is anyone's guess. Looking to implement video support? Or just to simply get an idea of what some users do with Reason?

Such as asking if you play acoustic drum kits (not necessarily a question they asked), but wouldn't mean they would start making acoustic drum kits. So who knows!

Creativemind

21 Sep 2015

Koshdukai wrote:
No. What video and what are you referring to?

• Information