Detach keyboard and controls from same controller via remote

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sonicbyte

15 Sep 2015

Hi,

I have an AKAI MPK61 midi controller, and I want to know if anyone think it's possible achieve something like make Reason "think" that my only one controller are actually two. That way I could be able to select the keyboard part as the master keyboard and the controller part of my MK61 to be locked to the SSL mixer by editing remote maps (Like nektar products do with it's different modes and by the way I couldn't afford to buy one or another controller at this time).
My problem is if I locked the device to the mixer I can't use the keyboard to play and if I let as a default master keyboard the control to the mixer is very limited... Of course I could set every time I need a device to "lock it" manually but It's really annoying...

Any ideas, articles or suggestions about it ?
Thanks
(Sorry about my english)

Olivier

15 Sep 2015

You can change the midi channels for every control using the Vyzex software or the on device editor.

I have the main keyboard sending through out CC (common channel, first midi interface ), all the pads through B1 (2nd midi interface).
I have the controls locked to channel B1 too. The transport controls are on CC.

The two controllers are mapped using the same remotemap/remotecodec.

So yes, this defenitely works.

Also, about the codec. I highly recommend using this improved codec for the MPK: http://audio.seekone.com/content/improv ... ason-codec
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

sonicbyte

15 Sep 2015

Hi, thanks for answering !

Sorry If I miss something, you say I can "route" the keyboard part via the usb midi interface and the controller thru the physical midi output (with a midi cable) ? Like using two midi outputs for each part ?

And yes thanks, I already set the improved codecs from that link.:)

sonicbyte

15 Sep 2015

And by the way... Once you split thru the different midi outputs how you set up inside reason to make it work ? Thanks again

Olivier

15 Sep 2015

You can route everything through the USB cable. The MPK has 3 midi interfaces that are all accesible through the USB cable.

2 of those are internal interfaces. They are for connected to the MPK itself.
The 3rd interface is for hooking up an external device through a standard midi cable via the ports on the back of the MPK.

For example You can decide to:
- have the keyboard and the transport controls send midi out through internal interface 1
- have the sliders, knobs, buttons and pads send midi out through internal interface 2.

In reason you will be able to recognise these as (for example, in my case on windows) "Akai MPK" and "Akai MPK Midi in 2".
The "Akai MPK3 Midi in/out 3" is for the external port.

Note: In reason, currently, by default, a control surface is connected through a midi interface, meaning all 16 channels. Although Koshdukai did make a way around this with a custom codec that can be found here : http://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.nl ... emote.html

Once you have changed the midi out channel on the controls you have to set up Reason. If you have trouble saving settings into your MPK i'm afraid i'm going to have refer you to the manual :P

In reason you can attach 2 control surfaces to the MPK. One control surface receives Midi info from the first internal mpk interface. The second control surface receiving midi from the 2nd mpk internal interface.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

sonicbyte

15 Sep 2015

You are the best !!!!

Thank you very much, it works PERFECTLY :)

• Information