POLL: Do you want video support in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Would you like video support in Reason?

Yes!
28%
Yes, however there are other features I would like to see first.
22%
No!
27%
No, but I'm OK with the feature being there for others to use.
23%

Total votes: 219
JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

15 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:
Yeah when I consider that others have to pay for it as part of an upgrade I begin to feel a little guilty, but looking at the stats so far it's neck and neck so Props are at this point damned if they do and damned if they don't according to this data. At the same time, they are the ones who unofficially announced they are considering it. Man, those guys can't say / do anything without a bunch of us hanging on every word lol.
There's no need to feel guilty on this at all. A lot of programs get features in upgrades that we pay for but never need to use! So I don't believe that in itself is a reason not to consider it, or actually do it. If 20% would use it, say, more than once a year, then it's not entirely unreasonable that everyone ends up paying for it to som extent. I've never used the EMI device (although I supported MIDI Out). As ever, if such a paid upgrade offered nothing but that function, people who don't need it simply don't need to upgrade, until such time there's something that does add value to them, in which case they'll still contribute, to a lesser amount down the line.

I wish I'd hadn't gone straight to a "no" vote ;)

However, I do feel that your feature set is pretty deep, and I can't see PH getting anywhere near that inhouse, and probably not even externally. Outside contracting has been used a number of times in the past, and certainly I can see this being appropriate for a fairly dumb playback device with the necessary timing features and an extensive set of import codecs (fuck, just base it on VLC), that is appropriate for quick scoring, rather than something that actively manipulates video.

JNeffLind

15 Sep 2015

I personally would like to see Props keep their eye on the ball, meaning Reason audio, not video, not mobile apps. I also don't much care to give up any more screen real-estate for video, even if it's just a collapsible side bar. Just my two cents.
Last edited by JNeffLind on 15 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

JNeffLind

15 Sep 2015

Accidental post, meant to edit previous post. Quoted instead.
Last edited by JNeffLind on 15 Sep 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Amulet26

15 Sep 2015

To sync with video in REWIRE works, but it's not the ideal world.
I press command+tab all the time to sync every detail with the image in Cubase, if I could do everything in one program…
And sometimes I do, using just Cubase, just for the convenience.

Just one video track is enough, no need to turn Reason into Vegas.
It's 2015, every cell can record video, we are more than ever living in a "visual world"...

Jagwah

15 Sep 2015

esselfortium wrote:But appending a video editor onto Reason? Please, no. There are so many audio-related things that we so badly need updates to, and this would be a major feature-creep distraction getting in the way of that happening. Creating a video editor to integrate with Reason would be an even bigger change than going from Reason to Record, and would require lots of development resources to be taken away from other things that more directly relate to Reason's primary function.
I don't believe it needs to be over the top, a few basic features is all that is necessary. The other points are just wishful yet rational thinking.
esselfortium wrote:Also, using a YTP video as an example of an extremely involved feature request's intended use is... misguided and self-defeating, to say the least.
lol :)

Jagwah

15 Sep 2015

Amulet26 wrote:Just one video track is enough, no need to turn Reason into Vegas.
It's 2015, every cell can record video, we are more than ever living in a "visual world"...
I have been thinking about this implementation for years, trust me, two video tracks are necessary, no more no less.
+1 on the second point there.

Jagwah

15 Sep 2015

Two points being raised here are the lack of Props resources, and also not a lack of current audio features but poorly implemented ones that need updating.

OK, these make sense.

Props resources - I know, right? And they are making apps and stuff, gees! :) What I ponder from time to time is where is that crap ton of RE money going, or where is it going to go? They should probably let us forum guys handle the financials. :D

Poorly implemented features - Yes, we are living in a different world post Reason 8. Maybe I'll soon get my video feature in Reason and I won't even be able to slice it! :evil:

CharlyCharlzz

15 Sep 2015

it would be a easy add thingy , it would cost Props money to add the codecs to a player but it's just a player damn it !
no video edit needed just to edit sound over a already edited video in synch SVP .
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

selig
RE Developer

15 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:
Amulet26 wrote:Just one video track is enough, no need to turn Reason into Vegas.
I have been thinking about this implementation for years, trust me, two video tracks are necessary, no more no less.
+1 on the second point there.
I've rarely needed one video track, never two - why two? Most folks say "just add one track, no editing - how hard can that be"? And obviously, it's not about it being "hard", it's about asking Props to drop other plans and do video instead for those few who can't work around this issue.

Yes this is a visual world - but does that necessarily mean that EVERY app these days should have video support? If this was something that could NOT be done any other way, I might see the point some are making - but it's easy enough to ReWire to an app that supports video, or just USE an app that supports video.

Add a video track, and then folks will want another video track, SMPTE support, "spotting" features, GPU support, etc… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Jagwah

15 Sep 2015

selig wrote:I've rarely needed one video track, never two - why two? Most folks say "just add one track, no editing - how hard can that be"? And obviously, it's not about it being "hard", it's about asking Props to drop other plans and do video instead for those few who can't work around this issue.

Yes this is a visual world - but does that necessarily mean that EVERY app these days should have video support? If this was something that could NOT be done any other way, I might see the point some are making - but it's easy enough to ReWire to an app that supports video, or just USE an app that supports video.

Add a video track, and then folks will want another video track, SMPTE support, "spotting" features, GPU support, etc… ;)
Two video tracks for fading between them, you could fade one out slowly and introduce another at a faster rate. Also jumping between them quickly in a synchronised fashion. This would be messy on one track.

Props are the ones who initiated the excitement for video support recently. We aren't asking them to drop tools and look at this as a feature, they asked users via email if they would find it useful, hence this small campaign to gain a little support at the same time they are considering it.

Yes you can ReWire or use another program all together, but this is similar to that old cry for VST support. Why go to other software when I am Reason user extremely familiar with the workflow, extremely comfortable in this environment, invested in it and wanting it to grow to be bigger and better.

Yes I also imagine users will want 'X' feature once implemented, I say good luck to them :)

Wook

15 Sep 2015

When did you guys get this email? I'm getting only Discover spam.

joeyluck

15 Sep 2015

Well, we can't be sure the intent of their question... But we can speculate!

What they did in the survey was ask users if they work with video. Which could mean a number of things—including just trying to understand users' backgrounds in music making. Or it could mean that they are considering the responses to weigh the potential demand for video support in Reason...

Jagwah

15 Sep 2015

Wook wrote:When did you guys get this email? I'm getting only Discover spam.
Only a few people go the email, I wasn't one of them.
joeyluck wrote:Well, we can't be sure the intent of their question... But we can speculate!

What they did in the survey was ask users if they work with video. Which could mean a number of things—including just trying to understand users' backgrounds in music making. Or it could mean that they are considering the responses to weigh the potential demand for video support in Reason...
They said video! They said video! :crazy: :thumbup: :crazy:

decibel

16 Sep 2015

i voted "Yes, however there are other features I would like to see first." but if it comes down to it i would prefer they put their resources into making the audio side of things stronger, especially as there are many alternatives available for video.. that being said though i do have a female friend who used and loved using reason but has had to ditch it in favour of another daw that is more video friendly for the work she is doing. so i guess there are people out there who could definitely make use of any new video features if implemented

Wook

16 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:Only a few people go the email, I wasn't one of them.
Ah, thank you.

On topic, even though I have no use for video in Reason, I support the idea because it seems that a lot of people want it. Existing users get what they want, new ones may come, user base/market expands, developers that refused to touch RE's finally come through and so on.

Raveshaper

16 Sep 2015

I want video support so that things like time domain spectral analysis and rolling histograms of the master bus ate possible. Also, if there was a way to surpass Harmor and turn video clips into sound and vice versa, that would be choice as well. But editing music to video? No, I'd just buy Cubase for that.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

joeyluck

16 Sep 2015

All this talk about ReWiring for something Reason can't do...can't that same arguement be said for any feature you feel is missing from Reason? ;)

CharlyCharlzz

16 Sep 2015

Not surprised only a few peoples got a e-mail , I remember all the hate on the PUF about that feature and Props acting arrogant with this feature LOL
I am pissed Reason aint got this basic feature since sound design was kind of invented to dub Videos .
Reason is a sound design tool to me and I never used it to dub videos and even left this on the side .

do it Props , and stop finding excuses ! and send me stuff like that insted of (be part of the evolution of a song crap) !

selig
RE Developer

16 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:
selig wrote:I've rarely needed one video track, never two - why two? Most folks say "just add one track, no editing - how hard can that be"? And obviously, it's not about it being "hard", it's about asking Props to drop other plans and do video instead for those few who can't work around this issue.

Two video tracks for fading between them, you could fade one out slowly and introduce another at a faster rate. Also jumping between them quickly in a synchronised fashion. This would be messy on one track.

Props are the ones who initiated the excitement for video support recently. We aren't asking them to drop tools and look at this as a feature, they asked users via email if they would find it useful, hence this small campaign to gain a little support at the same time they are considering it.

Yes you can ReWire or use another program all together, but this is similar to that old cry for VST support. Why go to other software when I am Reason user extremely familiar with the workflow, extremely comfortable in this environment, invested in it and wanting it to grow to be bigger and better.

Yes I also imagine users will want 'X' feature once implemented, I say good luck to them :)
Again, WHY do you want two video tracks? I'm curious because most folks who ask for video support are going to use it to add music to picture, so you won't need more than one video track (though there are many additional features that would also need to be added for full "sync to picture" support, which most here are either overlooking or maybe just don't need?).

Are you looking for video VJ type software?
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

16 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:All this talk about ReWiring for something Reason can't do...can't that same arguement be said for any feature you feel is missing from Reason? ;)
No, ReWire won't work for edit groups, in-line editing, disc streaming for samples, in-line crossfades, track hiding, track freezing, mp3 export, VCA fader groups, trim automation mode, file sharing minus audio tracks, data import/export, Combinator II, and many more suggestions/requests made over the years. ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

16 Sep 2015

selig wrote:
joeyluck wrote:All this talk about ReWiring for something Reason can't do...can't that same arguement be said for any feature you feel is missing from Reason? ;)
No, ReWire won't work for edit groups, in-line editing, disc streaming for samples, in-line crossfades, track hiding, track freezing, mp3 export, VCA fader groups, trim automation mode, file sharing minus audio tracks, data import/export, Combinator II, and many more suggestions/requests made over the years. ;)
Point being is some folks don't want to use other DAWs...just the same as those features are available in other DAWs

Spryx

16 Sep 2015

nope. unnecessary bloat and a waste of development time....perhaps if they get bored. There are many more pressing concerns: audio features, PDC, continued SDK development, etc. (all my opinion, of course)
latest:

joeyluck

16 Sep 2015

What's interesting and something keep in mind is we have a good number of users who think updates should be about new devices (even though we have Rack Extensions we can buy at our own leisure and based on our own needs).

Then we have folks who don't see the value in features 'under the hood.' A great number of folks will chime in to say, "This is something that should have been there all along and we should have for free" (even though they are still on the previous version of the software).

Then you have the few features (such as the Mixer, Audio Recording, Rack Extension support, MIDI Out, Spectrum EQ, updated legacy devices, or say...video support) that seem like obvious upgrades to the masses as it presents a whole new feature (sometimes something that seems more tangible and is in the forefront). So, I can see how Propellerhead might look at video support as an obvious feature to include which many users will agree is a new feature rather than an improved upon one.

Of the features Selig mentioned, I too would like to see disc streaming. But when that's introduced, folks will chime in the expected way as I mentioned.

I also think Propellerhead is capable of tackling a few things at once ;)

CharlyCharlzz

16 Sep 2015

if they make a Reason 9 upgrade and only add this Feature I would buy it .

sdst
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2015

the POLL says it all

most users want the ancient requests first. lol

• Information