POLL: Do you want video support in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Would you like video support in Reason?

Yes!
28%
Yes, however there are other features I would like to see first.
22%
No!
27%
No, but I'm OK with the feature being there for others to use.
23%

Total votes: 219
Jagwah

17 Sep 2015

selig wrote:
Jagwah wrote:
selig wrote:I've rarely needed one video track, never two - why two? Most folks say "just add one track, no editing - how hard can that be"? And obviously, it's not about it being "hard", it's about asking Props to drop other plans and do video instead for those few who can't work around this issue.

Yes this is a visual world - but does that necessarily mean that EVERY app these days should have video support? If this was something that could NOT be done any other way, I might see the point some are making - but it's easy enough to ReWire to an app that supports video, or just USE an app that supports video.

Add a video track, and then folks will want another video track, SMPTE support, "spotting" features, GPU support, etc… ;)
Two video tracks for fading between them, you could fade one out slowly and introduce another at a faster rate. Also jumping between them quickly in a synchronised fashion. This would be messy on one track.

Props are the ones who initiated the excitement for video support recently. We aren't asking them to drop tools and look at this as a feature, they asked users via email if they would find it useful, hence this small campaign to gain a little support at the same time they are considering it.

Yes you can ReWire or use another program all together, but this is similar to that old cry for VST support. Why go to other software when I am Reason user extremely familiar with the workflow, extremely comfortable in this environment, invested in it and wanting it to grow to be bigger and better.

Yes I also imagine users will want 'X' feature once implemented, I say good luck to them :)
Again, WHY do you want two video tracks? I'm curious because most folks who ask for video support are going to use it to add music to picture, so you won't need more than one video track (though there are many additional features that would also need to be added for full "sync to picture" support, which most here are either overlooking or maybe just don't need?).

Are you looking for video VJ type software?
:)
I already answered you regarding two lanes, refer to my quote in this post.

Also, please refer to my first post in this thread regarding 'scoring to picture' being the only feature some people regard as wanted / needed.

Pay attention!! :shock:

:puf_smile:

Jagwah

17 Sep 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:if they make a Reason 9 upgrade and only add this Feature I would buy it .
I vote that Charly be our captain from this point on, seems like a smart dude. :thumbs_up:
sdst wrote:the POLL says it all

most users want the ancient requests first. lol
Are we looking at the same poll? Looks pretty even to me.

CharlyCharlzz

17 Sep 2015

That is not how I read it :) it's not a élection , it is statistics :)

because there is no request apart from VST that get as much votes !
you will not find any other big request anymore other then these two budy :)
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

CharlyCharlzz

17 Sep 2015

so screw VST's , guys get over it and be real !!!!!!
and vote for Video sound edit please :)

esselfortium

17 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:
CharlyCharlzz wrote:if they make a Reason 9 upgrade and only add this Feature I would buy it .
I vote that Charly be our captain from this point on, seems like a smart dude. :thumbs_up:

Are we looking at the same poll? Looks pretty even to me.
There are currently 22 votes for "yes" and 77 votes for variations on "not right now".
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

CharlyCharlzz

17 Sep 2015

damn , well fuck it LOL !
there will never be vst , it's just not going to happen so wonder what the guys who voted NO really wants and really talk about when saying older request ??!?!
I am kind of really interested to know .

CharlyCharlzz

17 Sep 2015

it is not all lost , only 28% are against it .
others say from yes to they dont mind .

sdst
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2015

people are not opposed to video in reason

just want to see first , nn-xt 2, combinator 2, redrum 2, thor 2, malstrom 2, ssl mixer improvement, the SDK. a better piano roll.

only that, video are welcome

selig
RE Developer

17 Sep 2015

Just out of curiosity, of those who need video support how often would you use it? Are we talking "every project has video", or "once every few months I score to video", or somewhere in between?

I'm curious because it's a good way to indicate beyond a yes/no answer how important this feature is to folks. For example, I need video less than once a year, but WHEN I need it it becomes 100% important to me! But the rest of the time, it's of 0% importance to me! So if you asked me about video support last year around a certain month I'd have said YES, but today, NO! Make sense?

Or to put it another way, are you answering "Yes" just to saying that it would be a nice feature to add, or to say that this is a #1 priority feature before ANY other features?

Just interested in quantifying the responses a little if possible…
Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

17 Sep 2015

I would use it a majority of the time. I prefer to work only in Reason. I score for film, theatre, and dance and do sound design.

eusti

17 Sep 2015

I'd say about 25% of projects I do these days have a visual component.
At the moment I can use workarounds, but would really like better video integration.

D.

Resonator

17 Sep 2015

I can take it or leave it since I don't really need it. But if it were added, I'm sure I'd probably use it at some point. I'd rather see more of the audio features and enhancements to the instruments, as well as more development of the SDK (which seems like it's been crawling at a snails pace over the past 3 years). Since U-He got all frustrated last year and announced he wasn't going to finish his synth and fix the bugs in Uhbik-A because of the SDK's limitations, I haven't seen anything happen since PH tried to resolve the issue with him. RE SDK development has been rather dissapointing for the devs who jumped ship as well as the consumers that were expecting more. It really needs to get up to par before even considering video support.

Gaja

17 Sep 2015

IIRC U-He's problems have been adressed, but his RE dev has left (or something along that line) and Urs has no capacity to dive into the SDK and understand it properly to update their collection accordingly.
I'd say running a company like Props is no easy management task. They're juggling with Reason, their own plugin format including two SDKs, Apps and their own social networking service. IMHO they're doing quite well and the SDK seems to have developed enough, given their known projects.

@Selig
I'd love video support (that is without editing capabilities) and would use it occasionally and definitely try recording and editing a bit of Foley in Reason. But I know the rats tail that comes along with video support and would certainly prefer they adressed other problems (like crossfades in the sequencer or authorizer problems like Theo had) first.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Jagwah

17 Sep 2015

It's kind of sad that we have been reduced to whatever it is that is the most requested feature, to have that and only that feature trickle down in a slow fashion. What about a bunch of features to give Reason a kick ass boost? Are resources really that limited that we see one feature every now and then trickle down and that's the best there is?

Thanks for voting and adding your comments everyone, there is 100+ votes now so I'll send Props a quick mail and also link them to this thread so if they are interested they can check the status of the poll.

submonsterz

18 Sep 2015

I initially when I got r6.5 thought video intergration would be great but after being here till now and the discussions on it in the puf way back then.
I have come to realise reason lacks to much for props to be reaching out to other things as have they have shown they reach and over extend and leave things years after still hanging on the half baked idea that started.
I want them to actually improve what they have first mostly if video was to be introduced the audio editing man that's so ancient and has so little in features for editing its almost painful and makes it not really worth having in the first place with the limits its only just above workable to me.(more ok for band members wanting to just record in the guitar or vocal etc etc)
so on just them thoughts and other things I feel really should be updated and bettered to give a more full functionality I voted the two no`s .
get whats here all ready primed before moving into deeper water I can see lots of new things messing reason up in a bad way.(it all ready has started with a few things since I jumped on board at version 6.5 ) things feel like going forwardly backwards in many ways.

Yonatan

18 Sep 2015

I would want Reason to eventually be a good alternative to ProTools and Logic. I would love mixing sound to movies inside of Reason, to use the effects and all the automation, to use the DAW one is used to work with. I do not want to rewire, running two DAWs side by side. Too heavy for many laptops.

Gaja

18 Sep 2015

I agree with submonsterz (except I don't feel things are going backwards - used Reason since v2.5). Compared to ProTools' editing features, Reason seems like a dwarf compared to a giant. I don't like ProTools a lot, but sound editing (as in sound design for motion pictures) in PT is the most "streamlined" I've seen so far. Especially the shortcuts in PT are brilliant and speed up the workflow incredibly, compared to other DAWs I've tried (Logic, Nuendo and I even tried Garage Band just for the fun of it - it was horrible).
So in order for video support to be up to par with sound design standards there would need to be a lot of other things to be supported, like timecode (different fps), spotting, video export, advanced editing features and native surround capability to name a few.
I say yes to video support, but other things should be first.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

CharlyCharlzz

19 Sep 2015

selig wrote:Just out of curiosity, of those who need video support how often would you use it? Are we talking "every project has video", or "once every few months I score to video", or somewhere in between?

I'm curious because it's a good way to indicate beyond a yes/no answer how important this feature is to folks. For example, I need video less than once a year, but WHEN I need it it becomes 100% important to me! But the rest of the time, it's of 0% importance to me! So if you asked me about video support last year around a certain month I'd have said YES, but today, NO! Make sense?

Or to put it another way, are you answering "Yes" just to saying that it would be a nice feature to add, or to say that this is a #1 priority feature before ANY other features?

Just interested in quantifying the responses a little if possible…
I would use it to get my hands on Dubing videos because I only did it a few time with cubase , I think you can really make cool and fun videos these days and to add some synth on it can be cool .
to me It is a super experiment to do , I just want to have fun from times to times deeping with a synth over images like in the old school days of TV .
also a great way to trip with sound design with more classic metal baguets for thunder storms or rice over a drum for rain and edit that over a movie for exemple.

so off course it's not like I want that more then a NNXT2 or Thor2 or even a new synth or sampler or whatever , it's just a think I really much would like to have .
I think it is usefull , we also could have lot's more audiomatic and reverbs type of stuff in the shop specialy made for movies along with samples and refills :P

Yonatan

23 Sep 2015

I found this on Big fish audio comment section of Vintage Strings, so that changes would be good before or alongside video-support, because if video, we also need some quality virtual instruments to make great movie sound, so nr 1 is to upgrade (or a totally new) to an advanced sampler on same level as Kontakt, otherwise, skip video-support:

"-we are definitely looking into the possibility of doing a Reason ReFill or Rack Extension, but there are a couple of issues we're going to need to figure out. The fist is that there's no "intelligent harmonization" feature in Reason, as there is in Kontakt; that means we'd only be able to create "fixed" chords and intervals, and we could only do that by creating Combinators with multiple samplers. Also, Reason's key-switching is limited compared to Kontakt's, so we could't do the "All Articulations" patches the way we did them in the Kontakt version. We're going to do our best to work around those issues, though, so we can come up with a good version of Vintage Strings for Reason users (like me!) ."

Creativemind

23 Sep 2015

I said yes in this poll but then in retrospect, I forgot, doing a big thing like video support (or video editing whichever) when they haven't given us a full colour pallet yet, completed the midi editing and many other basic features seems mad.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Jagwah

23 Sep 2015

Creativemind wrote:I said yes in this poll but then in retrospect, I forgot, doing a big thing like video support (or video editing whichever) when they haven't given us a full colour pallet yet, completed the midi editing and many other basic features seems mad.
Well get ready for it because all signs point to - it's coming. Also if you're waiting for more colours after the more colours that were recently introduced then I really feel sympathetic towards the wait you have ahead of you, better get your waiting hat on ;)

Amulet26

23 Sep 2015

Video is becoming more and more part of my job, and to rewire is the only option if I want to use Reason.
If I have a client and I want to show one project in my laptop I have to grab the Cubase dongle and rewire Reason...
Rewire is ok, but if you're working all day with it, it's a pain in the ass, if you have to sync details with the image, you spend A LOT of time switching between Reason and Cubase.
If R8 was all about workflow, I need that workflow for work with video...

GeiddE

23 Sep 2015

No because there are already fine applications to do just that - just import your freshly bounced audio and voila

Goriila Texas

23 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:Propellerhead asks about video in their latest survey they sent via email. Could mean they are considering it :)
I doubt it probably just trying to keep users from jumping ship. I voted no because I really don't see them doing it right. It'll be half-ass and lacking features if PH history tells us anything.

Goriila Texas

23 Sep 2015

joeyluck wrote:Well, we can't be sure the intent of their question... But we can speculate!

What they did in the survey was ask users if they work with video. Which could mean a number of things—including just trying to understand users' backgrounds in music making. Or it could mean that they are considering the responses to weigh the potential demand for video support in Reason...
It could mean them adding video to discover.

• Information