POLL: Do you want video support in Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Would you like video support in Reason?

Yes!
28%
Yes, however there are other features I would like to see first.
22%
No!
27%
No, but I'm OK with the feature being there for others to use.
23%

Total votes: 219
Jagwah

13 Sep 2015

Please be considerate when voting - after the poll has run for a while I will forward the data to Propellerhead.

You may select two options but you may not re-vote.

Some things to consider:

There is a lot that can be done with synchronised video editing, much more than scoring to video. Consider an aerobics video, you synchronise Reason to the tempo of the aerobics, create your own music, then chop / slice / rewind / stutter the footage in interesting and fun ways.

You can slice the video at audio transients just like we do with audio even if the feature isn't present for the video with a small workaround. Consider the video in the next post.

You could score to video without the need of external software.

Why video support could be amazing in Reason:

If Propellerhead implement video support with a few fundamental features, it could then be opened up to third party developers who design video effects. These effects can be rack devices just like the Rack Extensions we are so used to - we can build chains of effects in the rack, automate their parameters and also control them with Reason's lovely CV system (consider a synced LFO fading in and out between two scenes or triggering different effects in time with the music). Gates, like the rhythmic ones we have in many Rack Extensions or even RPG8 could trigger small clips or images or effects in a rhythmic way - all in sync with the music.

Opening Reason up to third party video effect developers means more $$ for Propellerhead. :thumbs_up:

If video can be implemented in the same way as audio in Reason it can be sliced and diced in very interesting ways, particularly if current devices can manipulate the video tracks. Consider The Echo in 'Roll mode' - when the Roll switch is triggered, the video would delay and repeat / stutter depending on the device settings in the same way as the audio. This could be quite unique. Imagine a 1/4 delay time triggered with filter and diffusion settings fading the sound away while the video delays and fades to black or another video clip, all synchronised.

For those concerned about CPU usage I have already forwarded a suggestion to Propellerhead about the usefulness of a 'Preview Quality' feature, allowing you to work in a lowered resolution, then when finished you can export your work in high definition if desired.

These are just a few ideas off the top of my head, I honestly see huge potential for video support in Reason so I hope I will have some supporting data to forward to Props.

Thanks!

Jagwah

13 Sep 2015

An example of a 'YoutubePoop' video. There are literally thousands of these, it's just one example of what can be done with synchronised video:

Lol: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... rminator+2

joeyluck

14 Sep 2015

Propellerhead asks about video in their latest survey they sent via email. Could mean they are considering it :)

esselfortium

14 Sep 2015

I wouldn't mind it, but there are a lot of other features I'd prefer to see focused on first if I had to pick one or the other.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2015

Yes please. And you are talking about video editing too! Well why not as whatever Props makes is usually very cool.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Jagwah

14 Sep 2015

Benedict wrote:Yes please. And you are talking about video editing too! Well why not as whatever Props makes is usually very cool.

:)
Even with just a few fundamental features I believe it would be incredible in this environment, but yes any editing features would just make it much better. A lot can be done with a simple image cut out on a transparent background for example, like putting a different face on a person. It's rumoured they are considering it I certainly hope so!

Gaja

14 Sep 2015

While I am generally in favour of video support, I think that This idea would be taking things a bit too far. First of all you need smpte timecode and a grid for frames with at least 24fps 25fps and 29.97fps, as these are common framerates for cinema and television. So you need a way to get the grid to correspond to the timecode and a set of editing tools to move audio on that grid. You'll also have to support video cards of all kinds and that's just video support without editing capabilities.
So before they turn Reason into a multimedia monster I'd like to have Reason on a different level, as (I guess) video editing support would swallow so many ressources that development of the audio side in Reason would stop for a while, to get the video side up to par.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

syrokitty

14 Sep 2015

surround would be dope first. -nods- seriously tired of being forced to revert to logic to do things in surround. plus cv grounded dynamic panning would be god.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Sep 2015

PH are not able to add a $5 tier to the shop for RE pricing (I've asked) and you're talking about adding video support?

Olivier

14 Sep 2015

Eventually: Sure. But there are more inportant things imho. Like sample loading in the sdk. Maybe they are just working on a long term roadmap. It sure be cool though.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Jagwah

14 Sep 2015

Gaja wrote:First of all you need smpte timecode and a grid for frames with at least 24fps 25fps and 29.97fps, as these are common framerates for cinema and television.
Thinking back, a lot of things Props have done would have taken a hell of a lot of 'working out,' that's what they do, they work the stuff out and present it in Reason in a way where we don't have to worry about how difficult it was to get these things were implemented :mrgreen:

Jagwah

14 Sep 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:PH are not able to add a $5 tier to the shop for RE pricing (I've asked) and you're talking about adding video support?
Yes, and oh man it's going to be awesome!! :D

Jagwah

14 Sep 2015

For any Negative Nellies having trouble understanding the Positive Pollies recent sense of enthusiasm, please refer to post #3 of this thread.

:crazy: :twisted: :crazy:

tiker01

14 Sep 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:PH are not able to add a $5 tier to the shop for RE pricing (I've asked) and you're talking about adding video support?
I hate to wake up onto a rainy Monday too. :lol: But yeah I can`t see happening any time soon.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

14 Sep 2015

Jagwah wrote:For any Negative Nellies having trouble understanding the Positive Pollies recent sense of enthusiasm, please refer to post #3 of this thread.

:crazy: :twisted: :crazy:
ok, yes, too often it can be easier to be negative than it is to be positive.

I voted "no", although really I do understand why some people really need video ability and why it's so important to them, perhaps I should have abstained ;) . My point, I think, is that there are so many little tweaks PH can do and they point blank refuse them, and so many underdeveloped features, or things are just plain weird at best, or bad at worst (Reason 8 scrollbars, roll-view colour schemes that don't use black overlay to light backgrounds, or white overlays on dark backgrounds, and this isn't a bug, such behaviour is "by design"; indeed, it was intentionally removed from Record and Reason 6 in Combinators, probably because two unrelated persons in a survey coincidentally said they couldn't read white text on a black background, hence we're left with bizarre implementations like nearly invisible white text and lines on blinding yellow).

If PH added video support do you think it would be an such an improvement on what you can do currently via ReWire to a DAW with long-standing, well developed video functionality, that you would dump that DAW for this purpose? I've never used such a feature so I don't know exactly what functionality you would call necessary. What, exactly, would a video player need to make it a worthwhile endeavour to those who have a need, potentially something we'd all have to pay for as part of an upgrade, regardless of whether we'd need it?

But for example, take the advanced audio sample editor in Reason. Now apply the same principles and deep development approach to a video player in Reason. Do you still feel PH should add video support? If it was implemented, it may do the job, but it would never be iterated upon, other than the odd bug fix. It probably wouldn't load the one video format you personally need. If you use avi it'll only load mp4; if you need avi and mp4, it'll only load mov. ;)

edit: And re-reading your OP, Jag, you are talking about something that does, to some extent, do video editing, so the audio sample editor is a fair comparison. That's why I voted no. If it was just a syncable playback device, then there's less to object to. And if it can do video editing, then it needs to export as well. And again, you got the problem of which formats are supported.

sdst
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2015

personally I have sony vegas so I dont need video in reason

are other features I like to see first.

orthodox
RE Developer

14 Sep 2015

I don't think PH have enough resources to add video support. In any case, I would like PH to focus on developing new music/sound features and I don't want to pay for video sync and editing, which I can do pretty well with Sony Vegas.

Jagwah

14 Sep 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:ok, yes, too often it can be easier to be negative than it is to be positive.

I voted "no", although really I do understand why some people really need video ability and why it's so important to them, perhaps I should have abstained ;) . My point, I think, is that there are so many little tweaks PH can do and they point blank refuse them, and so many underdeveloped features, or things are just plain weird at best, or bad at worst (Reason 8 scrollbars, roll-view colour schemes that don't use black overlay to light backgrounds, or white overlays on dark backgrounds, and this isn't a bug, such behaviour is "by design"; indeed, it was intentionally removed from Record and Reason 6 in Combinators, probably because two unrelated persons in a survey coincidentally said they couldn't read white text on a black background, hence we're left with bizarre implementations like nearly invisible white text and lines on blinding yellow).

If PH added video support do you think it would be an such an improvement on what you can do currently via ReWire to a DAW with long-standing, well developed video functionality, that you would dump that DAW for this purpose? I've never used such a feature so I don't know exactly what functionality you would call necessary. What, exactly, would a video player need to make it a worthwhile endeavour to those who have a need, potentially something we'd all have to pay for as part of an upgrade, regardless of whether we'd need it?

But for example, take the advanced audio sample editor in Reason. Now apply the same principles and deep development approach to a video player in Reason. Do you still feel PH should add video support? If it was implemented, it may do the job, but it would never be iterated upon, other than the odd bug fix. It probably wouldn't load the one video format you personally need. If you use avi it'll only load mp4; if you need avi and mp4, it'll only load mov. ;)

edit: And re-reading your OP, Jag, you are talking about something that does, to some extent, do video editing, so the audio sample editor is a fair comparison. That's why I voted no. If it was just a syncable playback device, then there's less to object to. And if it can do video editing, then it needs to export as well. And again, you got the problem of which formats are supported.
Didn't really think you were being negative man, all good.

Yeah when I consider that others have to pay for it as part of an upgrade I begin to feel a little guilty, but looking at the stats so far it's neck and neck so Props are at this point damned if they do and damned if they don't according to this data. At the same time, they are the ones who unofficially announced they are considering it. Man, those guys can't say / do anything without a bunch of us hanging on every word lol.

As I outlined in a mail to Props, these are the features I believe are necessary:
Preview Quality - save CPU while working and export in HD.
Slicing of the video at audio transients, if video is implemented there would be a workaround.
Slip / Snap mode like in pro tools and Sony Vegas, you drag the beginning of your clip to the end of another clip and it locks in to the exact end position. again, there is a workaround but it's timely and this feature would be nice for audio too.
Stretching and reversing of the video.
Multiple video lanes, two would suffice.
Importation of images, .psd or anything that can be cut on a transparent background opens up huge creative possibilities.

Yeah it could be format restricted, even Sony Vegas is. Trust me, the last thing in the world I want to see is video support in Reason that is so limited I can't do sh*t with it and I have to spend years begging / making polls / gaining support for stupid tiny features that really should be there in the first place, that would be absolutely awful.

Now if it could be implemented with just a few fundamental features, third party devs could handle editing features, even image data for instance. I don't claim to understand how it would work but if they could just get a few features in there it would be killer. I don;t care if I have to / can't export mp4s there's plenty of software to convert things and it's often I need to convert a video just to get it accepted in Vegas.

As others mentioned about the lack of resources Props have, I'm surprised they have the resources to answer all the noob questions posted to them since closing down the forum, but they still seem to manage. Video support in Reason could very well soon be upon us, the question is - in what state will it be provided?

selig
RE Developer

15 Sep 2015

I've needed video support once in the past few years, and I ReWired to Logic for that project. While I'm sure there are others like me who DO need video sync from time to time, to echo Jiggery here there are SO many other features that I use EVERY DAY that are far further behind the development curve IMO. So I hope they are not wasting much (if any) development time on this feature, but I'd love to see it implemented - AFTER all the other more used features are addressed! Just my 2 cents… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Yonatan

15 Sep 2015

I thought we were talking about video "support" and not a fully fledged Video editor. The basic need is to be able to easily compose and put sound design and effects to a finished video, in sync. All it takes is to support lets say a MP4 so it won't be too laggy. When you have done the sound design, music and audio mixing, you export it into one or several audio tracks, to put it again into the main video editor software. This experimentation, testing different sounds and sampling and effects and music together with a video, is what I voted "Yes" to, not that PH (already small in numbers) shall put the foot into a new world of endless complexity.
I would love a company like PH and their way of user friendliness, in the video editing world. So if they have the knowhow and capability, sure, but I doubt it would be wise right now. Better they focus on the audio side, but please, yes, make it easy to compose and do sound to a video shot. It is in line with the multimedia of today where things integrate more and more. If they would do also an editor, it would have to be quite restricted to certain formats, for instance found and used in iphones and by apple or better, some format which works for all camera on the mobile devices. Otherwise that would make others angry who are on different platforms etc. Some basic editing, with targeted effects good for music videos. But very restricted area would they have to choose to make it efficient and usable. The hobby user in focus but beneficial also for pros who´s mainly platform is via the Internet and streaming (not any 4K, but at least HD 720p to work well on laptops and common Internet pages). The nice thing in it would be to target more towards letting ordinary people start to make their own music videos almost as easy as they now try to make it for more to do music with Figure/Take/Reason. I would not protest if they make us all start to do music video inside Reason too. Reason 10 ?

joeyluck

15 Sep 2015

I would like to be able to sync, but also export the video with the audio. It's easier for me to show a director my intention rather than sending them a note of "start this music at 03:01:45 and these sounds happen at this point, at that point, and there."

esselfortium

15 Sep 2015

Video sync for composing to a clip, yes, sure. Relatively straightforward and with obvious uses for people who use Reason for composing music.

But appending a video editor onto Reason? Please, no. There are so many audio-related things that we so badly need updates to, and this would be a major feature-creep distraction getting in the way of that happening. Creating a video editor to integrate with Reason would be an even bigger change than going from Reason to Record, and would require lots of development resources to be taken away from other things that more directly relate to Reason's primary function.

Also, using a YTP video as an example of an extremely involved feature request's intended use is... misguided and self-defeating, to say the least.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

15 Sep 2015

I don't think an editor is necessary, but based on the limited control we have in the sequencer for audio (such as fades), how much control do folks think Propellerhead would actually include if they did have a video editor?

A razor tool would be nice.

Exowildebeest

15 Sep 2015

While I somewhat agree with Jig and Selig (there are other features I'd like to see first too, plus I understand the risk of feature bloat and mediocre implementation of new features), I'd like to see a bit more of a "CAN DO!" attitude - both among users and developers ;)

We can land robots on Mars, for fuck's sake ;)

Yonatan

15 Sep 2015

Discover-Y can do it...

• Information