Balance issue

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
GushingDizzy

12 Sep 2015

My audio interface is a (now discontinued) Propellerhead Balance. Ever since I installed Windows 10 last week anything at all with audio playing from any program on my computer pauses for a split second more or less randomly, and often. I thought I fixed it a few days ago by uninstalling and reinstalling Reason, but that only lasted a day.

The problem stops (in Reason at least) when I switch from ASIO to DX or MME, but the latency is so bad when I do that it's not an option.

My computer's soundcard plays back just fine. It's just the Balance that's causing me grief. I actually did have this problem for a few months before installing Windows 10, but it would only occur if my computer was on for most of the day, and I would solve it by rebooting. But that doesn't do the trick anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
- Geoff

Benedict
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2015

Are you on a USB 2 or 3 port?

I don't really have an answer and am as interested myself but I do know Balance hated USB 3

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

GushingDizzy

12 Sep 2015

USB2. but I have the same issue if I plug it into my USB3 port as well.
- Geoff

EnochLight

12 Sep 2015

Have you tried re-installing your Balance drivers and an alternate USB 2.0 port? Since you were having the problem before Windows 10, it's possible your hardware is the culprit.

While on Windows 10, try this as well: use your built-in integrated sound for your OS sounds and browsing the web, etc. and use Balance only for ASIO. Also, try making sure your OS audio is set at the same sample rate as you run Balance and is set at 24-bit.

Just throwing ideas out there!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GushingDizzy

12 Sep 2015

Well this is interesting. When I try to set the Windows "Balance In Properties" to anything other than "CD Quality" the settings window crashes, and the parameter isn't set. There are fewer options to choose from when I have Reason open, but same result. Thanks for the suggestion. But does that setting have any impact on the Balance recording input into Reason?

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Balance driver, and I did it again just now to be sure. And I have tried all of my USB ports. At this point I'm contemplating wiping my 2-year-old hard drive clean and installing everything from scratch.
- Geoff

EnochLight

12 Sep 2015

GushingDizzy wrote:Well this is interesting. When I try to set the Windows "Balance In Properties" to anything other than "CD Quality" the settings window crashes, and the parameter isn't set. There are fewer options to choose from when I have Reason open, but same result. Thanks for the suggestion. But does that setting have any impact on the Balance recording input into Reason?

Yes, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Balance driver, and I did it again just now to be sure. And I have tried all of my USB ports. At this point I'm contemplating wiping my 2-year-old hard drive clean and installing everything from scratch.
Funny enough, I don't even have the option of changing my sample rate in Windows for Balance. My advanced tab allows me to "test" the sample rate and bit depth, but it's locked/grayed out at 24-bit, 44.1 Khz. Interesting. I've never noticed that before since upgrading to Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 allowed me to change it). It's likely a Balance drivers issue, seeing as how Props haven't updated the driver in years. :oops:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

GushingDizzy

12 Sep 2015

Not sure what steps I took, but I finally managed to get the Windows "Balance In Properties" to be 24/48. So everything is in Windows is now Balance 24/48 across the board.

But, alas, the problem persists. :(

I wonder if there's a service running on my computer that's interfering with it.
- Geoff

EnochLight

13 Sep 2015

GushingDizzy wrote:Not sure what steps I took, but I finally managed to get the Windows "Balance In Properties" to be 24/48. So everything is in Windows is now Balance 24/48 across the board.

I wonder if there's a service running on my computer that's interfering with it.
Check this:

Hit your Start button and type the word "control". Select the Control Panel desktop app. From there, in the search box at the upper right, type the word "performance". The first result on the left should be "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows". Select that.

On the "advanced" tab, make sure that "Background services" is selected for processor scheduling. This allows Windows to make things such as your audio drivers a priority over programs running, which is something Balance can benefit from a great deal. Restart you PC.

If "Background services" was already selected, you can try deselecting some of the items on the "Visual Effects" tab, or just select "Adjust for best performance". Restart your PC. See if either of those items help your situation.

If they do not, try doing this:

Hit your Start button and type the word "performance". Select the "Performance Monitor" desktop app. In that window, select the "Open Resource Monitor" app. You can also get to this from Task Manager (hit the "Open Resource Monitor" link under the Performance tab). Take a look at the various services and programs running and see which one is sucking up the most CPU. It's possible you could have a service or program running that is causing issues with Balance. Try ending the processes or program (right-click on them, end process) if you see it utilizing an unusual amount of CPU, but be forewarned: there are some processes and programs that are critical to Windows running correctly! End processes/programs at your own risk. You're usually looking for processes/programs that are running under your User Name, not System. You can sort by columns by clicking on them (click User Name column, etc).

Good luck!

Gaja

15 Sep 2015

I remember having to install Reason Essentials before Balance would work. But I'm on a mac, so it might not help at all.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

Bonkhead

18 Sep 2015

Gaja wrote:I remember having to install Reason Essentials before Balance would work. But I'm on a mac, so it might not help at all.
That was only for the licensing, not for the balance workings afaik.

Gaja

18 Sep 2015

That's possible... Ah well... Worth a shot anyway.
Cheers!
Fredhoven

EnochLight

18 Sep 2015

Bonkhead wrote:
Gaja wrote:I remember having to install Reason Essentials before Balance would work. But I'm on a mac, so it might not help at all.
That was only for the licensing, not for the balance workings afaik.
Actually, Gaja is right. When Balance was first released, the only way you could install drivers for Windows was to install Reason Essentials first. Props eventually started offering the drivers as a separate download, though.

EnochLight

18 Sep 2015

EnochLight wrote:
GushingDizzy wrote:Not sure what steps I took, but I finally managed to get the Windows "Balance In Properties" to be 24/48. So everything is in Windows is now Balance 24/48 across the board.

Check this:

Hit your Start button and type the word "control". Select the Control Panel desktop app. From there, in the search box at the upper right, type the word "performance". The first result on the left should be "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows". Select that.

On the "advanced" tab, make sure that "Background services" is selected for processor scheduling. This allows Windows to make things such as your audio drivers a priority over programs running, which is something Balance can benefit from a great deal. Restart you PC.

If "Background services" was already selected, you can try deselecting some of the items on the "Visual Effects" tab, or just select "Adjust for best performance". Restart your PC. See if either of those items help your situation.

If they do not, try doing this:

Hit your Start button and type the word "performance". Select the "Performance Monitor" desktop app. In that window, select the "Open Resource Monitor" app. You can also get to this from Task Manager (hit the "Open Resource Monitor" link under the Performance tab). Take a look at the various services and programs running and see which one is sucking up the most CPU. It's possible you could have a service or program running that is causing issues with Balance. Try ending the processes or program (right-click on them, end process) if you see it utilizing an unusual amount of CPU, but be forewarned: there are some processes and programs that are critical to Windows running correctly! End processes/programs at your own risk. You're usually looking for processes/programs that are running under your User Name, not System. You can sort by columns by clicking on them (click User Name column, etc).

Good luck!
@GushingDizzy - were you able to try the above? Are you still having trouble?

• Information